Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2013 05:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Not Charging

Hi there A bit disappointed in this otherwise excellent product as a result of a charging issue of all things to have a problems with. Received my 64Gb device on Friday- used it extensively over the weekend getting it all set up the latest driver, bios and windows updates. Bought apps, installed stuff to my SD card etc., had lots of fun. Now this morning when I plugged it in to charge the little white light does not come on and the device does not charge. Have tried swopping out the cable for another, a different charger(up till now only been using the Dell charger and cable) all to no avail. The charger is working - it will happily charge other devices. Something is wrong with the device . Worse it looks like I am not the only one. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19531607.aspx - I have tried all the suggestions from this thread. http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=15719 Normally we buy Lenovo, this is my first Dell device. Very disappointed. Will ask for a replacement unit from B&H- they are very good. Hopefully the replacement is better.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2014 02:00

I found the only solution was to throw my Dell Venue 8 Pro into the garbage.

Now that I don't have this formerly expensive piece of junk around I no longer have to worry about whether it will work, not work. Charge, not charge, etc.

This was the first Dell product I have purchased in many years and because it was so terrible and getting it replaced 2 times didn't fix the problems and Dell Support couldn't help me, AND because the Microsoft Store where I purchased it wouldn't take it back (I paid $289.99 for the dam thing) I decided that this would be my last Dell purchase.

I also just sent an email to my friends and family also telling them to steer towards any brand BUT Dell for the holidays -- and if they did buy a Dell product, GET A 3RD PARTY WARRANTY!

This is a Dell / Intel issue since the Dell Venue 7 running Intel and Android has the exact same charging problems -- excuse me, charging BUG.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2013 10:00

do not install updates if you have no problems.
they seem to have a bad influence on the device..
I was able to plug my dell only through the night, made ​​a full recovery of the system and do not put more updates.

January 21st, 2014 06:00

Same problem here... seems to me that the power connector is very badly constructed.. its a square peg but the cables are all the same ones as the phone connectors (micro USB)... the last time I was able to successfully power the device, I had to wiggle the middle part on the dell so that the USB cable would go in properly.

because the outer metal casing around the connector is square, and the micro USB cable is not square this causes problems on the dell.

I am looking for a way to add a Qi wireless charging to the dell which would avoid all this <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> connector nonsense.... but that does leave the problem that the only way to get mass data on and off the device will be the micro SD card.. the wireless connector would be too slow.

btw, I have both the lenovo and the dell..  the lenovo had problems with charging as well... so I think this is a design problem.

No Events found!