Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2013 11:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Touch Sensitivity

Hello,

I bought two Dell Venue 8 Pro two weeks ago. I notice that sometimes when I type on the screen, the touch input get triggered multiple times... After doing some more testing, I realized that the issue was because my finger was close to the screen, but not fully touch or rest on the screen. The device seems to pick up touch input even if a small tip of my finger touch the screen a few milliseconds, which is a bit annoying when typing or browsing. This ends up with characters get hit multiple times randomly, or the browser suddenly zooms out because the device though it was double-click. I never have any issue like this on my smartphones or the surface RT.

I believe this is a firmware issue or a touch sensitivity issue since it happens on both of my devices. I did multiple factory reset and change "Pen and Touch" setting in control panel. But the issue is still exist. Does this happen to anyone else?

Minh

11 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 13:00

OTG USB Adapter converts from the micro USB port on your Venue 8 Pro to a full size female USB.

I am using this one from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter/dp/B00BFYH11Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1387834206&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+otg

With this kind of adapter you can plug a standard USB mouse into your Venue 8 Pro and you will be able to move the cursor as needed to reset the calibration.

December 23rd, 2013 16:00

NOT a good idea to have a fixed adapter at a small point of your tablet. Don't order that.

Order this or ones that have a dongle like tether...

search: C&E CNE13028 USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG On-The-Go Cable Adapter

1 Message

December 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi, I bought "Venue 8 Pro" by the end of November. I met similar touch screen trouble as you. Sometimes, I only single-click somewhere, but the screen think it as double-click.  I reloaded the driver, but the trouble remains. Hope someone of DELL can give a soluations for example one up-dated driver for the touch screen.

Peak Zhao

December 26th, 2013 15:00

It looks like it is taking too long for DELL to come up with a software patch. they have a lot of issues, as mentioned, WHY are the updates in the DELL UPDATES, not recognized as installed? This is confusing with waste of space and reinstalls for people trouble shooting. After updates are made, same updates are still available to update. 

I am starting to think this tablet is a major fail vs a few small software issues that will get fixed rather smoothly. I can't just blame DELL.On the Lenovo Yoga Pro, the mouse pad is erratic, and disappears at times. Perhaps this too is a bug or some patch should adjust the behavior.

What a mess when you look at the iPad, and how that works and the issues that has had from start to now... this starts looking like a joke. What a shame. All this technology, man power, brain power and QC, with all the R&D.... who's responsible to releasing for such major FAILS? I would say corp/marketing greed, Not the technologists behind them.

480 Posts

December 26th, 2013 19:00

FYI, I've been complaining about the installed updates not coming of the list for a couple of days now.  But it's not just on the tablet,  I have the same issue on my Dell desktop, and notebook.  I know it used to work.  I have no idea which updates I really need.

December 27th, 2013 23:00

Is this ever going to get fixed?  The constant zooming when I scroll down a web page is driving me crazy. Dell, can you please let us know if and when this will be fixed?

10 Posts

December 28th, 2013 01:00

Does anyone know if Dell monitors these posts? Is there a way that we can lobby them for a response? They have been conspicuous by their absence.

December 28th, 2013 06:00

The best we can probably do is keep bugging customer service or their Twitter and Facebook profiles...

6 Posts

December 29th, 2013 07:00

I have same multiple triggered key issue with on screen keyboard

but it seems like only happening when I am using screen protector though.

I tried to remove screen protector and tested, it works way better.

I also tried different brand of protectors, one from amazon, one from Dell official site (3M brand), but same result.

3M brand is worse because it makes screen fuzzy and blurry, i am not satisfied at all besides multiple triggered key issue.

Touch input calibration seems not helping at all (After the calibration, there is a problem accessing charm menu on the side for me).

I might just use without screen protector.   Or is it really the device is defective?

Have you put screen protector on with your device?

December 29th, 2013 10:00

I use a cheap Ebay brand "Professional ScreenGaurd".It has a sticker on top the package that says "By Infiland"

I actually think the screen protector would help as it may ever so slightly reduce sensitivity, but I have found no difference.

Since DELL replaced my tablet, the touch has been much better. the updates maybe faulty and not working. Perhaps you need to wipe the tablet and do a clean reinstall, unless you get DELL to replace yours. My touch is not(still zooms websites, and acts a bit wonky) 100% like my iPad or my Note, but it is much better than when I had the first V8 with all the updates.

Hope this helps.

52 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 04:00

New touch firmware released today (Jan, 03.)- finally, a noticeable improvement! Thanks.

10 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 06:00

If you hung on in there, there's an urgent driver update for the touch - seems to fix most if not all of the issues.

10 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go get it downloaded! Let you know how it goes.

January 3rd, 2014 08:00

Hmmm its strange but when I go to my dell app I only see the old update? How can I get the new firmware?

10 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 08:00

Next_Milenium.... Go to your Dell country web site. Click Support on the top menu bar, click Home (rather than Business). Enter your Service Tag (is on the thin sticker on the edge of your tablet). Click Drivers and Downloads. Scroll down until you see the "Urgent" update. This works a dream. I've just typed the longest email and this entry without a single zoom or repeat hit. Yey!!!
No Events found!