ksdehoff
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

Jump to solution

I will chime in that I am also having trouble keeping my wireless connected.  Here is some information that may help Dell troubleshoot.

I have successfully tested a continuous stream for nearly 24 hours.  Using silicondust's homerun prime I've streamed to powerdvd which is a continuous stream between 10-15 mbits/sec.  I've tested this on my 5ghz 'n' network.  This works.

But my next test was a file transfer and this fails badly.  In most cases I am unable to transfer 100mbytes before the connection stops and hangs.  after the hang I usually see wireless go disconnected.  Reconnecting does not fix the issue, a reboot is required.  I have also seen windows BSOD in a couple of tests.  To isolate to the NIC I added a usb gbit adapter and it works fine.  I have reproduced the transfer issues on both 'b/g' and 'n' networks.  Also I tried doing a large web transfer instead of SMB and it also fails, so I can't fault the software stack.  It is a driver issue for me I'm pretty sure.  I'll wait a couple days before I start messing with driver advanced configuration since I have a workaround.  Hopefully Dell are aware and working on the issue.

0 Kudos
JasonMRaub
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I think putting the tablet in sleep mode can cause WiFi issues, try leaving the screen on.

0 Kudos
toujoursdan
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That seems to happen too, but mine will stop working in the middle of downloads when the screen is on. It took a few tries to download Adobe Lightroom (an 800M file) because the Wifi would suddenly drop out and could only be reenabled through a reboot (which meant having to delete the incomplete file, closing the browser, rebooting and then renavigating to the site and starting all over again.)

Strangely enough, I can stream without any problems at all.

0 Kudos
JayByrd1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have been able to copy an 8GB ISO file from a WiFi connection.  I just had to up the sleep time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
toujoursdan
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the sleep time set to "Never". Had to do that because sometimes the tablet occasionally won't wake up from sleeping unless I hit the On button over and over again for 10-15 minutes.

It's all very odd.

0 Kudos
JasonMRaub
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I can't figure out this WIFI issue, May be it's a driver issue. My WIFI just stopped working again, I hope it's not a hardware issue. I think I may have to reset my tablet again just for WIFI to work again, I'm going to try reinstalling the driver but this issue should have been taken care of by now. Windows 8.1 has a few glitches I can't blame DELL for, but I hope dell fixes this WIFI issue soon! it's frustrating.

0 Kudos
Osprey52
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have a WIFI issue with my new Dell Venue 8 Pro. WIFI connectvity is lost after the tablet goes into sleep mode. After waking from sleep mode the status of my WIFI shows limited connectivity. The only way to get it back up is to disconnect from my network manually and reconnect. I've tried reinstalling the latest Dell Drivers but no change.  It's very annoying. 

0 Kudos
ksdehoff
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I wanted to update that my access point is a Netgear R7000 and they have a reported issue with wireless disconnections that sounds very similar to what I had reported.  They feel this is an issue with their access point and so I need to withdraw the issue as a potential issue for me on the Venue 8 Pro - for now anyways!

It would be handy to provide Netgear logs of the specific behaviors of the card when the disconnection occurs - can anyone tell me how to capture detailed wlan status change information?

0 Kudos
Venue-Pro-user
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Having the exacts same issues. Have tried already these steps with no solution. Talked to Dell Support (useless) and surprised that they are not aware of this universal issue 

- Updated driver to latest version - Did not resolve

- Updated chipset - Did not resolve

- Updated BIOS - Did not resolve

- Hard reset the entire unit - Did not resolve

- Changed setting to "metered" ON - Did not resolve

- reset TCP/IP -  - Did not resolve

Not sure what else to try... but getting to a point that not worth time to keep the unit and continue to have issues.

0 Kudos
Osprey52
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My network router is a Linksys WRT54G.  It's been running solid as a rock for over 5 years.  I have two other Dell XPS Laptops using wifi with this network and they both work fine without issues. Only the Venue 8 Pro seems to have this issue after going to sleep mode.  I also tried turning sleep mode off  in settings and the prblem is still there.

0 Kudos