MeatHead88
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

Jump to solution

Yes, the issue is coming out of sleep.  Are you connected instantly or does it take a couple seconds to connect?

We need the tablets to switch to low power wifi mode so that connection remains active

(so we can fast resume and not be disconnected from network apps...)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

On the Venue 11 Pro (which has the same wifi adapter and same driver as the Venue 8 Pro, and the same wifi problems) I found that installing the A04 BIOS update somewhat improved the wifi stability. Instead of wifi going into a coma three times a day, now it happens only once a day. Well, that's progress anyway. I don't know if the A04 BIOS is compatible with the Venue 8 Pro, however.

One of the Dell guys has written a post where he suggests there is a new version of the wifi driver in the works. Maybe this will fix it.

0 Kudos
Venue-Pro-user
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hopefully it is released soon! Already replaced the unit and have installed all updates and problem continues.

0 Kudos
MeatHead88
1 Copper

Jump to solution

A driver change/update is what we need.

0 Kudos
Stinkypasta
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I know it seems somewhat obvious now (looking at the last several comments), but I can confirm that this is not a hardware issue (at least in my situation). The replacement tablet I received from Dell yesterday is exhibiting the same problem with Wi-Fi. I can be actively using my tablet, and the wireless will just cut out without warning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JasonMRaub
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm no longer losing WiFi, all I did is update the network driver from dell then the other new driver package from dell I posted earlier, may be I just got lucky cause its working fine now.

0 Kudos
Venue-Pro-user
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Would it possible to post the Wireless Adapter Driver version it shows for you after the update?

TIA

0 Kudos
JasonMRaub
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Driver Version 3.7.2.45425

0 Kudos
JasonMRaub
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ha my WiFi stopped working today. I guess I'm not so lucky. I hope dell fixes this soon.

0 Kudos
ajdellaj
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have started four Dell Venue 8 pro tablets since November 14: two 32GB both with great WIFI, and two 64GB from Costco both with serious WIFI issues.  Both Costco 64GB tablets have intermittent connectivity and weak signal out of the box, and the same behavior using the updated Dell Qualcomm Atheros WIFI driver.  Windows Updates do not help or change anything.  Both 32 GB tablets have perfect WIFI with no drops and excellent signal.

The 64GB WIFI was so bad out of the box it took several retries to logon with a Microsoft account and set up Windows.   The network connection kept dropping during the 64GB tablet setup while the 32 GB tablet sitting right next to it had 100% signal.  Forget about downloading Dell drivers. I had to download the drivers using a different pc (the 32GB tablet) and transferring them via Micro SDHC card.

There are some differences between the 32GB and 64GB tablets.  The 32GB mother board product is 09RP78 and the 64 GB mother board product is 0RK4PK. The Dell Wireless 1538 adapter is the same, supposedly.  Also different are the available wireless network security options at Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network Connections> Network Properties Security tab:

The 32GB tablets have Security Types: Open, WPA2-Personal (default), WPA2-Enterprise, 802.1X, and CCKM.  
The 64GB tablets have Security Types: Open, WPA2-Personal, WPA-Personal (default),  WPA2-Enterprise, WPA-Enterprise, 802.1X, WAPI Certificate, an WAPI Shared Key.  I'd prefer to use the more secure WPA2 security if possible, which is the default setting on the 32GB tablets.

When I change the 64GB tablet security setting from WPA-Personal to WPA2-Personal it renders the WIFI inoperable.  Cannot connect to my 2Wire router at all.  Once the security setting is changed to WPA2-Personal you can no longer access the Network Properties Security tab to change the security setting back!  Are you serious?  The only recourse to regain WIFI connectivity is to start over and reload the operating system from scratch. emoticon.Sad.title  There may be a registry hack but I'd prefer to not go there.  Reinstalling the driver does not change the security setting so it's not an option.

Does anyone have a solution for the newer batch of 64GB tablets supporting stable WIFI connectivity and WPA2 security?  I would expect this is not a hardware issue but rather a combination of drivers and Windows 8.1 software? 

I'd love to keep the 64GB tablet but come on, bad WIFI out of the box, frustrating startup, and no way to fix it on two tablets in a row?
After investing a couple of days on this, maybe I'll return them all and wait until the bleeding edge pains are over.  The 32GB tablet is fantastic and stable but does not have enough storage to justify keeping the device.

0 Kudos