Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2013 05:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

it seems either way I disable the Wi Fi by the 'switch' itself or 'Airplane' mode it is a pain to get it on and have to manually 'disable the entire WiFi and then enable it joggin the WiFi off and on til it seems to catch on I am trying to turn it back on. I am only trying to turn it off to save battery right now but is this normal? Will a fix be forth coming because i'ts a pain right now.

December 11th, 2013 15:00

I also had the same problems after downloading all of the windows updates and needed to recover the tablet twice. I then installed only one update at a time and apparently there are two windows updates that on reboot disable the wifi  Do Not installl updates KB2887595 or KB2903939 Otherwise all other updates work fine  I just updated the bios so I can't tell you if that would have corrected the problem  I did use the dell updates for the wifi prior to running and after running all of the windows updates and that does not fix it- so just leave out these two updates and you should be fine

Dell is totally unaware of the problem I spent way too much time with there technical support who don't even read the community problems and their answer was to do a complete system restore

Microsoft was almost as bad because they used to have a tablet division for support but eliminated it and refer you to the oem

good luck

December 11th, 2013 15:00

p.s.  If you have the wifi problem you do not need to do a recovery  Just go to control panel select programs in the upper left list or show the updates that were installed and then you can select each of these two kb updates and uninstall each one individually- works great  Just note that each requires a system reboot

December 11th, 2013 18:00

Thanks for the tip, that fixed it! I had tried uninstalling the two previously mentioned updates, but it didn't work. By uninstalling KB2903939, it now works. I was hoping the A04 BIOS addressed the problem since it was released on December 9th...but nope. Hopefully Dell figures this out quick, with so many of these sold recently, it could really hurt Dell and Windows reputations even further.

18 Posts

December 11th, 2013 18:00

Try installing "My Server 2012 R2" then reinstalling the update.  It worked for me.  Or it could be because I installed all but the offending two updates and then did them at the end (after installing My Server 2012 R2 from the Windows store.

1 Message

December 12th, 2013 03:00

Installed this app ("My Server 2012 R2") from the Microsoft store and tested it with the kb's causing the problems. It is now working.

8 Posts

December 12th, 2013 04:00

BTW,

way to go marking this as "answered" when we still need a driver update to truely fix this issue.

This is not fixed, only mitigated. Removing security updates is not a proper resolution.

8 Posts

Makes sense to me....

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that keeping Hulu open prevents the issue.

Hulu keeps the network connection open even when in the background.

The My Server app must do the same and once installed never lets the Wi-Fi adapter get to its troubled low power state.

It’s not fixed just prevented at the cost of battery life...

4 Posts

Would it be possible to share the entire steps you did from start to have your Pro wi-fi working without getting disconnected. When you got your units as part of setup it must have done all Windows update. Did you uninstall any? Did you download any Dell updates?

This will help all us.

TIA

2 Posts

I can also confirm that after installing the My Server app you can then install the too damning updates and everything is fine. It really makes no sense at all.

18 Posts

December 12th, 2013 05:00

I don't see any change to battery life and I never actually run "My Server."  I suspect it just causes Windows to install other updates that fix the issue.  I got the idea when someone mentioned doing an update I hadn't done and when I looked it up it said it was related to Server 2012.

As far as steps, I first installed all the firmware and driver updates on Dell's website.  Then I did a refresh than installed all the updates but the two offending ones.  Then I installed My Server 2012 R2 from the Windows store, then the two updates.  I did notice the refresh said it uninstalled the 1538 WAPI driver update.  Haven't reinstalled that.

8 Posts

December 12th, 2013 07:00

I am amazed at the amount of trouble everyone is having with wireless while mine has been rock solid with none of these issues.  As the discussion gets closer to issues with specific M$ updates though I would comment that one of the first things I did was to upgrade mine to Windows Pro with Windows Media Center.  This would support the notion that M$ has something fundamentally messed up in their stack for the consumer version of 8.   Possibly some DRM that gets removed with Pro.  I'm wondering if any of you can speak to having these same M$ issues with the 8.1 pro?

1 Message

I solved this problem by disabling the network device in device manager.  Scanning for hardware changes reinstalled the driver and the wi-fi came back to life. 
When you disable the driver do not delete the driver files. If you do that you're sunk.

Chris

YES, that worked for me too ! Thanks for posting your solution

Please share the steps you did to upgrade "Windows Pro with Windows Media Center"?

TIA

4 Posts

December 12th, 2013 08:00

When you say "Server 2012 R2" do you mean the Windows Server 2012 R2 operative System or My Server 2012 app?

4 Posts

December 12th, 2013 08:00

I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro with an MSDN key, I'd give it a try to do those 2 windows updates and see if the WIFI goes down now.

No Events found!