Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2013 05:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

it seems either way I disable the Wi Fi by the 'switch' itself or 'Airplane' mode it is a pain to get it on and have to manually 'disable the entire WiFi and then enable it joggin the WiFi off and on til it seems to catch on I am trying to turn it back on. I am only trying to turn it off to save battery right now but is this normal? Will a fix be forth coming because i'ts a pain right now.

1 Message

December 14th, 2013 11:00

I had this issue on the day I opened my Venue 8 Pro and had to do a restore and then got to start configuring it all over again. Today, 2 days later, it happened again and I found this thread. I checked my windows update files and neither of the listed ones was present but I decided to try and uninstall all of the updates and see what happened. Bingo; WiFi. We'll see what happens when I update.

6 Posts

December 14th, 2013 21:00

I must have done about 20 factory resets in an attempt to fix the tablet because it helped the WiFi come back sometimes  until the tablet corrupted telling me it had missing files and can no longer reset. Called up the Microsoft for an exchange. I like the product and it has a lot of potentional however this is a rushed product with bad software support. I will be more careful flashing firmware and installing drivers with my replacement, I'll probably hold onto it until better drivers/bios comes. What is currently available can brick your tablet like others have noticed. Thank you all for all the help and I hope Dell resolves these problems quickly. 

2 Posts

December 15th, 2013 19:00

I noticed this after first day or so after having it. I ran some updates when I got it and didn't experience any problems until a day or so. I'll list them now:

-When connected to WiFi and tablet sleeps it shows a limited connection and I have to disconnect and reconnect.

-Today while streaming a live lecture the wireless dropped and couldn't find any connections, I tried disabling WiFi in the side screen (not device/hardware manager) and it wouldn't disable. Also tried enabling airplane mode in same screen, didn't work. Kept saying no networks found. Device restart fixed it, I had to do this two or three times them ot worked until tablet slept when I had to "fix wireless connection" in IE which was basically same adapter reset as in my first problem.

-windows trouble-shooter says the problem is a driver or hardware related problem for dell wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n adapter and is unable to fix. Currently I have all updates from windows update installed and the newest firmware a04.

-I read some similar problems dated a couple weeks ago that had to do with the update order but I updated on Dec 12 or so and the order on windows update was fixed supposedly... I read that on some forums can't recall which.

Please Dell or Microsoft address these issues, they are all over forums in the net..

4 Posts

December 16th, 2013 13:00

These steps and updates have also not fixed the issue! Any more ideas or information?

Thanks

480 Posts

December 16th, 2013 22:00

If you haven't already seen this, check this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/dell-venue-pro-loses-wireless-connection-after/bc8a1426-fdb8-466d-b074-c80a06e70d76

The problem was due to an update sequence problem.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2013 03:00

same for me.. Microsoft KBs installed in order. Still when it sleeps and wakes need to disconnect and reconnect wireless.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2013 03:00

my updated were installed in order

Even now when it sleeps and wakes I need to disconnect and reconnect wireless...

4 Posts

December 19th, 2013 09:00

Microsoft Pulls Surface Pro 2 - Firmware Update as Users Complain of Issues

While this story in on Surface Pro 2, I am reasonably confident it will apply to Dell Venue 8 Pro as well and all the problem MS Updates have been causing. 

See: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsoft-surface-pro-2-update-pulled/

22 Posts

December 19th, 2013 23:00

My dell venue 8 pro is still losing WiFi and I have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and software every time to get it working again, very frustrating, please find this problem and fix it dell. Thanks.

25 Posts

December 20th, 2013 09:00

have the same issue with my venue 8 - my testing so far seems to not work by uninstalling the ms kb articles above - seems to be caused by my home hub self switching between 2.5ghz and 5ghz.

If I disable 5ghz wireless is stable! Very odd

22 Posts

December 21st, 2013 23:00

So if I disable that option on my router will it be stable?

25 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi Jason yes this stabilized the issue - but since then found a post on Microsoft stating its a dns issue and to rectify just add a dns entry in your ipconfig so its not dynamically allocated.  bit of a pain if you then want to use your tablet elsewhere mind you as it will have to be removed

since then I have now switched back on 5ghz and its been fine for past 24hrs.

guess we need to wait for an update from Microsoft here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-wifi-dropping-andor-limited/87531d97-c148-4387-acda-5a31b38c069e?page=5

25 Posts

December 25th, 2013 08:00

Update: this has been fine for a few days until today and after a restart- after which I could not get a connection established on my venue 8

looking at my dns records my default gw and static dns are unavailable - so it seems setting a static dns does not work after all flush dns etc does not resolve either.

Changing my routers 5ghz channel off again has restored a reliable connection to the detriment to all other devices on my network

25 Posts

December 25th, 2013 09:00

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with DNS or the default gateway, which you generally get from the upstream router via DHCP.   

The WiFi has been one thing I've been really happy with using the device, it connects lightning fast both at my house and at work.  Maybe it's a hardware issue with the antenna?  

3 Posts

December 26th, 2013 19:00

There are plenty of different forums with lots of users all experiencing this same issue.

I have tried all the KB uninstall/reinstall suggestions, statically assigned my DNS and various other tweaks to no avail.

This is quite frustrating now...

No Events found!