RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

Jump to solution

have the same issue with my venue 8 - my testing so far seems to not work by uninstalling the ms kb articles above - seems to be caused by my home hub self switching between 2.5ghz and 5ghz.

If I disable 5ghz wireless is stable! Very odd

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
JasonMRaub
6 Indium

Jump to solution

So if I disable that option on my router will it be stable?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Jason yes this stabilized the issue - but since then found a post on Microsoft stating its a dns issue and to rectify just add a dns entry in your ipconfig so its not dynamically allocated.  bit of a pain if you then want to use your tablet elsewhere mind you as it will have to be removed

since then I have now switched back on 5ghz and its been fine for past 24hrs.

guess we need to wait for an update from Microsoft here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-wifi-dropping-andor-limited/87531d97-c148-4387-acda-5a31b38c069e?page=5

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Update: this has been fine for a few days until today and after a restart- after which I could not get a connection established on my venue 8

looking at my dns records my default gw and static dns are unavailable - so it seems setting a static dns does not work after all flush dns etc does not resolve either.

Changing my routers 5ghz channel off again has restored a reliable connection to the detriment to all other devices on my network

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with DNS or the default gateway, which you generally get from the upstream router via DHCP.   

The WiFi has been one thing I've been really happy with using the device, it connects lightning fast both at my house and at work.  Maybe it's a hardware issue with the antenna?  

0 Kudos
hermano
1 Copper

Jump to solution

There are plenty of different forums with lots of users all experiencing this same issue.

I have tried all the KB uninstall/reinstall suggestions, statically assigned my DNS and various other tweaks to no avail.

This is quite frustrating now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AuriR
6 Indium

Jump to solution

It sounds like a different issue than others are experiencing. Maybe reset the system, use simple DHCP, and go from there?

I'm happy to help if Dell is unwilling. Just send me an email.

0 Kudos
hermano
1 Copper

Jump to solution

From everything I've read, there are two issues - one where 2 or 3 MS KB updates killed wifi completely (which has been resolved by uninstalling the updates) and one where after the V8P has been sleeping over 20-30 minutes, wifi shows as limited and you have to disable wifi/turn airplane mode on then off every time you bring the V8P out of sleep.

I cant believe no one from Dell has commented on this when there is now 10 pages (on this forum, not mentioning all the others) of users experiencing this problem....

0 Kudos
jburnaa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

On the cusp of returning this darn thing. I'd sworn off of Dell products a few years ago... now I remember why. Simply isn't worth the hassle anymore. My wife's Nexus 7 tablet is trouble and frustration free......

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, (even after installing the latest WAPI goodie). Since I usually have to re-boot to 'fix' it temporarily, that may be why your "fix' worked...

I sincerely hope That Dell has an engineering liaison monitoring these forums for this sort of issue... 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos