Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2013 05:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

it seems either way I disable the Wi Fi by the 'switch' itself or 'Airplane' mode it is a pain to get it on and have to manually 'disable the entire WiFi and then enable it joggin the WiFi off and on til it seems to catch on I am trying to turn it back on. I am only trying to turn it off to save battery right now but is this normal? Will a fix be forth coming because i'ts a pain right now.

5 Posts

January 17th, 2014 06:00

I get the same issues with this tablet with blue screens and dropped network connections. This is for sure a driver issue. Dell needs to resolve it asap.

8 Posts

Yes, shutting down or sleeping with the wifi off or airplane on somehow disables the driver.

Dell, or Microsoft, or both - do us a favor - this should be a simple fix.  PLEASE.

123 Posts

Uninstall Windows updates KB2887595, KB2903939 and KB2883200. That fixed my WIFI issues but more important, also no BSOD anymore since then. The important thing: you have to set the updates to manual and stay away from these three updates, dont install them again.

However: WIFI just works stable in b/g mode with the Venue 8 pro. If I set my AP to N (2,4 or 5ghz, wifi breaks after a short period). And this is a driver issue of the poor Dell wifi card (qualcomm). Because my other devices work without any problem with N mode (HT 40hz).

January 17th, 2014 09:00

Exactly this is the problem. Airplane mode somehow disables the driver. I found the following quick trick to enable the driver in such situations: I turn the Bluetooth on and restart the device. Simple. (then I turn the Bluetooth off, if I don't need it).

8 Posts

January 17th, 2014 10:00

Yes, restarting is the only remedy.  But that's time and battery.  It would be so nice if we could turn it on and off at will, with consistency.  wifi off...sleep... awake... wifi on

but not for us

1 Message

January 20th, 2014 01:00

Is there any indication as to whether this is fixed yet I'm a uk buyer and have nowhere to exchange my tablet and am concerned about resetting tablet for reg keys etc

5 Posts

January 20th, 2014 04:00

Have one of these, having the same wifi issues as many others in the thread.. tried removing the two KBs and afterwards couldn't get wifi to respond at all, no matter how many reboots.  A post a few posts up posits three, not two, kbs to disable.  gonna try that now that I've factory reset the unit.  Cant imagine giving this to a end user in it's current state, though..

13 Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

I haven't had issues for a couple months now. I've done the following:

1. Followed my instructions on my blog: http://aurir.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/having-wifi-issues-with-dell-venue-pro-8-uninstall-microsoft-patch-kb2887595/

2. Ensured my firmware is up to date

3. Installed the latest drivers from Dell's site

I haven't used Airplane Mode as of yet, but I've never had a need. The battery lasts just fine without ever touching that setting.

5 Posts

January 21st, 2014 05:00

All BIOS and firmwares up to date, those three updates, either installed 'in order' as MS insists, disabled alltogether, or allowed to run in their 'natural order' via Windows update, and the symptoms are exactly the same.  Ditto for trying the 'newer' wifi driver on the site. 

1 Message

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

I have the same problem... "The Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems" Have you been able to solve the problem, or found any other forums on the net?

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 08:00

Found another Dell thread - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19535946/20485736.aspx

But on the rest of the big bad internet, there's the MS thread a gentleman references in his blog a few steps up.  It basically talks about the three contentious (or potentially contentious?) windows updates that might affect wifi, and suggests an order to reinstall them in. (This didn't help me, btw) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/dell-venue-pro-loses-wireless-connection-after/bc8a1426-fdb8-466d-b074-c80a06e70d76

Here's the blog post: http://aurir.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/having-wifi-issues-with-dell-venue-pro-8-uninstall-microsoft-patch-kb2887595/

youtube video illustrating the above here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tYV7AyFjGA

That's a quick aggregation - but none of the above steps helped me.  Was hoping by posting this here it'd stop repeats fo the same, and trigger new avenues of research.  Most ideally, of course, would be a patch from Dell.  Only 8.1 machine I have problems on this is my Venue Pro 8. :/

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 08:00

I'm with you on that.  I did the same steps that have been flogged around the net.  The prevented the blue screens from happening from what I could see. (Or just reduce them). But connectivity ultimately would be gone in about a day. Right now the only solution would be to have Dell get a better driver for this card. The problems with removing the updates is they deal with other issues that Microsoft has addressed and I feel I'm missing out on other issues being fixed just to supress the issues with a bad NIC driver. 

5 Posts

January 26th, 2014 22:00

Hello Dell. Please fix your nic drivers. Or you can have your tablet back.

214 Posts

January 27th, 2014 02:00

Here's a work-around to save sanity and battery while we continue to wait for firmware & driver fixes to battery drain during sleep & WiFi hassles upon awakening:

In Power Control Panel, change Power Button behavior on Battery — to Shutdown when pressed; however, this will only work when you remember to hit the Power button before your tab falls asleep on its own...

Note to Brian: Please check-out the 2-month + timeline on this one thread; even so, there has been only one update posted for V8 Pro owners in more than a month — wasn't for either of these issues and didn't even fix its target issue!

Meanwhile, the soft purring from a few relatively-pampered V11 owners, are increasingly drowned-out by the chorus of howls from a far-greater number of V8Pro owners — whose tablet use also continues to be afflicted by numerous serious issues, as amply reported in these forums (BIOS A08 vs. A04 makes a compelling statement, imo).

Please tell us where to build our bonfires, so the perps responsible for this neglect will feel th' heat!

5 Posts

January 27th, 2014 05:00

The power settings you posit - so the entire tablet'd shut down if I hit the power button instead of te Windows button to wake it up?  I think turning wifi on and off might be the better solution for speed, but with SSD maybe it's a draw. ;)

No Events found!