webexplore
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Issue

Jump to solution

TURN OFF Automatic Windows Updates!!! New Dell Venue 8 PRO last week. Start-up was fine but let Windows Auto-Update. Then the problems started. Lost Wi-fi (as mentioned in above posts) on an Auto-Update. Re-installed the base system. During that installation, received error messages like BAD_POOL_CALLER and BAD_POOL_HEADER and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT....  Big clue that Windows update packages software are bug ridden and sloppy in these updates. Re-installed base system at least 3 times. Finally restored to out-of-box state.

Not accepting any updates until other Dell Venue users report success with wholesale successful installations of Important, Recommended, and Optional Windows updates...or.....Microsoft can state they have fixed the problems (which I will rely on Dell users to confirm).

Microsoft has rushed to get 8.1 onto the Dell Venue 8 PRO and users are paying the price of huge amounts of time investment undoing Microsoft's sloppy code.

0 Kudos
RobertAsh1111
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also had the same problems after downloading all of the windows updates and needed to recover the tablet twice. I then installed only one update at a time and apparently there are two windows updates that on reboot disable the wifi  Do Not installl updates KB2887595 or KB2903939 Otherwise all other updates work fine  I just updated the bios so I can't tell you if that would have corrected the problem  I did use the dell updates for the wifi prior to running and after running all of the windows updates and that does not fix it- so just leave out these two updates and you should be fine

Dell is totally unaware of the problem I spent way too much time with there technical support who don't even read the community problems and their answer was to do a complete system restore

Microsoft was almost as bad because they used to have a tablet division for support but eliminated it and refer you to the oem

good luck

RobertAsh1111
1 Copper

Jump to solution

p.s.  If you have the wifi problem you do not need to do a recovery  Just go to control panel select programs in the upper left list or show the updates that were installed and then you can select each of these two kb updates and uninstall each one individually- works great  Just note that each requires a system reboot

0 Kudos
sean.kimmle
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Thanks for the tip, that fixed it! I had tried uninstalling the two previously mentioned updates, but it didn't work. By uninstalling KB2903939, it now works. I was hoping the A04 BIOS addressed the problem since it was released on December 9th...but nope. Hopefully Dell figures this out quick, with so many of these sold recently, it could really hurt Dell and Windows reputations even further.
0 Kudos
dlauring
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Try installing "My Server 2012 R2" then reinstalling the update.  It worked for me.  Or it could be because I installed all but the offending two updates and then did them at the end (after installing My Server 2012 R2 from the Windows store.

0 Kudos
NirWinter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Installed this app ("My Server 2012 R2") from the Microsoft store and tested it with the kb's causing the problems. It is now working.

0 Kudos
donbp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I can also confirm that after installing the My Server app you can then install the too damning updates and everything is fine. It really makes no sense at all.

0 Kudos
sam8599
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Would it be possible to share the entire steps you did from start to have your Pro wi-fi working without getting disconnected. When you got your units as part of setup it must have done all Windows update. Did you uninstall any? Did you download any Dell updates?

This will help all us.

TIA

0 Kudos
MeatHead88
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Makes sense to me....

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that keeping Hulu open prevents the issue.

Hulu keeps the network connection open even when in the background.

The My Server app must do the same and once installed never lets the Wi-Fi adapter get to its troubled low power state.

It’s not fixed just prevented at the cost of battery life...

0 Kudos
MeatHead88
1 Copper

Jump to solution

BTW,

way to go marking this as "answered" when we still need a driver update to truely fix this issue.

This is not fixed, only mitigated. Removing security updates is not a proper resolution.

0 Kudos