8 Krypton

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Jump to solution
One workaround, as sort of suggested above: buy a short extension cable and leave that plugged into the DV8P, and then plug accessories into the extension's "normal" (i.e., one way only) micro USB female connector at the other end. I've been doing this and it really does ease one's mind--and also eases stress on the USB port. (By the way, the problematic connector was not Dell's choice--that connector is mandated--heaven knows why--by the relevant industry standards committee.) Highly recommended (although the price has gone up $3 since I purchased, and now is kinda silly for a small extension like this): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EJHH20/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
0 Kudos

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Jump to solution

My son's 5 month old Venue 8 has just been bricked. Great thing is, there is no asset tag on the outside (we bought it through Staples -- not sure if that matters, but the tag is not there along the edge), and since it is bricked, there is no way to retrieve it from the running device. Dell was very helpful. As soon as I fix the device far enough that we can retrieve the tag, they are willing to consider if they can replace/repair it. Until then, however, the fact that I have a broken Dell device physically in my hand is not sufficient proof that I have a broken Dell device ...? Anyway, no help, no solution, no mas. I'm done buying personal devices from Dell.

- Wes

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
To NewlyDisappointed - is the service tag on the box? (If you have the box). I know this advice is too late but I've taken to taking a photograph of receipts and serial numbers for new devices I buy. That helps for these situations. Sorry this happened - I'm sure it's very disappointing for you kid. And you. Shame on Dell for doing this to their customers. PS: I'm also done buying personal devices from Dell.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
A friend suggested using one of these connectors for charging the DVP 8 as they use the connector that Dell should have used on their charge cable - this one can't be plugged in wrong: If you think you might accidentally do this, buy a USB Micro A cable to use for charging your DV8P. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UNPVMY Or a Micro A to Micro AB adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-A-Micro-AB-Adapter-Manhattan-308748/dp/B002QWIXUO Here is an OTG cable with a USB Micro A end. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11604
0 Kudos
MrHalliday
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I have had my DV8P back to Dell once already to repair
the power/micro usb connector which fails for many users.

Now the last week it is getting loose again and fails to charge half the time.

I hard-taped the cable into the port when I received it back the last time, hoping to reduce wear, but it isn't working out.

After it goes out of warranty, 
I am afraid the repair may be expensive.

I consider it a design flaw, 
and would gladly swap this tablet out for 
some other model without this connector issue,
but I doubt Dell will do that, 
and expect to own a brick.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

And Dell is now releasing an updated version of the DVP8 with the same problematic OTG connector! Condolences to all the poor saps that bought one of these not realizing it was booby trapped.

See if you can guess when this consumer will buy another Dell product. (Hint: Never).

MrHalliday
6 Indium

Jump to solution

As one poster said upthread, there should be a mfg recall

or remedy available under some kind of "Lemon Law" as with cars...

but a quick search on the topic brings up nothing.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I like your optimism, Mr. Halliday, but the DVP8 has been out for a year now and Dell has done nothing so it's not going to happen, I'd think. On the up-side, expect to see a lot of similar devices hitting the market for the holiday season. Amazing hardware at incredible prices. $200 will buy a lot of machine.

0 Kudos
Rich2beach
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
I'm with you Darryl - my last Dell. The first Ven 8 Pro I bought was from Costco. The USB receptacle failed after about 2 weeks (and I knew it was bad so I was very careful). Costco took it back. They don't even carry it any more. I bought a 64 gig version on line and in less than a month it simply went dead. Sent it back to Dell and they replaced the MB. I've marked the USB plugs with a white dot on top so I can't mistakenly try to plug it in wrong. But, like you I know it is going to fail some day....here comes the brick. $$ down the drain.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

The tablet is an OTG (On The Go) device, and is required to have the Micro AB connector that we hate so much.  It's not a Dell decision. 

"All current USB On-The-Go (OTG) devices are required to have one, and only one, USB connector: a Micro-AB receptacle. Non-OTG compliant devices are not allowed to use the micro-AB receptacle, due to power supply shorting hazards on the VBUS line. The micro-AB receptacle is capable of accepting both Micro-A and Micro-B plugs, attached to any of the legal cables and adapters as defined in revision 1.01 of the Micro-USB specification. Prior to the development of Micro-USB, USB On-The-Go devices were required to use Mini-AB receptacles to perform the equivalent job."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

0 Kudos