Not applicable

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro not CHARGING!!!!

Jump to solution

After a week of ownership I am also finding that my Dell Venue 11 Pro (5130) is not properly charging, with Windows stating 'Plugged in, Not charging' in the system tray. This is the case when using the supplied charger and USB cable. Having been shutdown and charged for ~10hrs overnight it has gone from 30% to 75%, which it previously would have done in a matter of minutes. As you would expect, the charge percentage decreases whilst powered on when it's 'plugged in, not charging'.

I will attempt some of the remedial actions posted here however they appear to be very hit and miss and do not instil much faith.

I can understand that there may be teething troubles with a stylus or displays that require some fine tuning, however I am very unimpressed that such a critical and basic function is not satisfactory and renders the machines completely unusable. Clearly this unit is not a one off and the matter really needs to be addressed as urgently as possible.

Lou Stule
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

I fully agree — how unfortunate that the launch of such a promising product appears to be marred by serious flaws...

I hope that the trouble-shooting steps reveal a problem that can be solved in the field, without retiurning or exchanging your tablet; if not, the results from performing those steps will still help the support staff to more-quickly zero-in on a fix for you...

I haven't seen any signs of Dell employees monitoring or moderating here recently, so I urge everyone experiencing problems with their Venue tablets to contact Dell Mobility Support directly — so that the existence and prevalence of these issues get properly logged and escalated.

Lou Stule
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

All new Venue 8 Pro tabs are eligible for several updates; I recommend allowing the Dell Support site to "Analyze System for Updates" and build a list of suggested downloads for you. All of those downloads have installers which know where to place the files. Unfortunately, it won't remember what you've already installed, so your list of 'eligibles' will keep growing; you'll have to keep track of what's new after the 1st time through... (Dell support says they're aware the tool is broken.)

("CAB" files are compressed archives, and typically need an installer which knows how to extract & place the contents.)

Not applicable

Jump to solution

My statement above 'using the supplied charger and USB cable' turned out to be only partly true, and all is well now the correct cable is used. Apologies to Michael Dell.

Jeff Leites
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I suggest that everyone clearly mark the USB Micro-B plug so that you can easily see which way to plug it in. 

I painted the back of mine with "White Out".  Instead of fumbling around with it, I know that the white side goes on the back side of the tablet, and the black side goes on the screen side.

I still think that these charging problems are due to users forcing the plug in backwards (and probably breaking the socket).  It inserts the correct way with only the small amount of resistance that holds the plug in place.

Jump to solution
Dell supplied the wrong charging cable. The port is rectangular and the plug is trapezoidal so it can be plugged in either way, and if you plug it in wrong, you can bend or break the pin block. I handed mine to my wife to see which way she'd try to connect the cable and she immediately tried plugging it in upside down. This is a serious design flaw and Dell needs to recall them all and replace the connector. There's no way in this day and age of computing that it should be possible to plug in a connector upside down like this and then destroy the device. It's only a matter of time before every one of these Dell Venue Pro 8 units is damaged because of this issue. Dell screwed up the design and customers are paying for the mistake. This is 100% Dell's fault. They need to make it right.
Tags (1)
Not applicable

Jump to solution

FYI my Venue 11 Pro does not have a rectangular charging port, it matches the cable.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
It's interesting that they used a different connector in the Venue 11 Pro. It's too bad, because otherwise the Dell Venue 8 pro is a brilliant device. 😞
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lou Stule
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

I agree with you, that it's too easy to get it wrong when attaching the charging cable to your Venue 8 Pro tablet. However, the 'rectangular' port does appear to conform to the USB standard for a 'micro A-B" port. (That describes a combo-port, which can be used for either data transfer or charging.) Although technically correct, it appears to be causing a lot of confusion & I question the wisdom of using it here — without including a very prominent note that every new user would encounter during unpacking!

However, the factory-supplied cables do have molded-in USB symbols on both ends, to help establish the correct orientation. On the micro-connector end, the USB symbol corresponds to the narrower side of the trapezoid and will be facing towards you when you're viewing the screen. Some users have added paint to further highlight the correct orientation. 

Lou Stule
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

The Venue 11 has a separate USB port for data transfer, and a dedicated micro-B port for charging. The trapezoid-shape of the Venue 11 charging port is correct for its single purpose; even though the rectangular shape of the Venue 8 port is technically-correct for a dual-purpose port, it has ALSO been a source of confusion & grief for many Venue 8 owners because it's different from micro-USB connectors and ports that many of us may have previously encountered on other devices AND Dell doesn't point-out how to use it correctly!

0 Kudos