Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2014 18:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro unable to connect to WIFI

I have had my Venue for a few weeks now, and haven't had any problems with it until today. I use it mainly for school work and as i pulled it out this morning for class, I noticed the internet wasn't connected.
After doing a bit of trouble shooting, I came up with this message "The Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware- related problems."
I find this driver the Dell website, and planned to just download it onto my PC and then transfer it over to my Venue(since obviously I couldn't download it straight to my tablet without WIFI). So I plugged in the USB cable that it comes with, the one for the charger, and my PC doesn't pick up that anything is even plugged in to it.
Has anyone else had this problem, and, more importantly, does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance!

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 07:00

I fid this response overly typical of acceptance of the purchase of shoddy and defective devices, met with the shake of the head, and nothing much more.  Not every User is a typical IT guru with the instantaneous delight in having to fix the makers poorly delivered product. They typically prefer, and hopefully expect when purchasing a new tablet that it actually works, and doesn't become "constipated" every two or three days.

Nonetheless, I have found these information exchange forums useful as it helps non intuitive IT guys like me to overcome some of the challenges of such a failing device like this. 

44 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 10:00

AFCBFAN, if you're talking about my responses, I have done all I can including hours researching and on the phone with Dell and returning my Venue for servicing.  If I had the time and money, I'd hire a lawyer but do not have the resources.  I do NOT willingly accept their claim that the Venue is a good device and if you have any other suggestions on how to proceed, I'd welcome them.  Thanks.

22 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 13:00

For me my venue works and when the wifi decides to stay stable it works great it's just an annoyance is all having to restart the device to get the wifi back on but so far it's the only temporary fix that works.

Having someone from Dell to at least awknowldge that people are still having issues with this problem would be nice so we can get down to the bottom of it whether it's a hardware problem or a software. I've sent mine in twice to the depot and both times dell has reset it and ran through their tests claiming that it's fixed. Problem is it's not fixed the problem still persists

11 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 15:00

Nope, but I used to love Dell, then they became relative to Gateway, now they are pumping out devices I can use.  I first owned a Dell product with the Dell Streak 7 LTE(tmob) and I loved it, but the battery life killed any hopes of using it efficiently without a big battery packed synced to it.

Then the Venue series came out, and I really like them a lot.  For me that is, they handle perfectly what I need devices for, and are ultra mobile enough and powerful enough I only need a couple and they meet all my needs, both work and media wise.

I don't work for Dell, but I would, depending on what the job was that is.

Quality control IS lacking though in most OEM sectors; they let the little things slide and figure we won't notice it.  Like screens that bleed and/or don't fit uniform and other little things like having to shove the ext card in 2-6 times to get it to seat properly so as to be read.

Maybe they figure in the case of the ext disc, once it's seated it's fine, but it's jimmied loose after awhile and once again, you have to remove it and shove it back in, and the BIG issue of the charging port on the Venue series.

Some of them are inset well enough the charging plug fits in fairly tight and isn't compromised, but then in a HUGE MASS of them, they are defective and have problems within days to weeks of first using.

BUT I could list all kinds of the issues with the OEM's of all kinds of devices.

I was just stating what I have come to find out, I didn't mean it personally against you, personally.

44 Posts

etoolz65, I do have the Venue 8 Pro 5830.  I'm much less competent than you but I have reset to factory, etc.  If nothing else, I've learned a lot  :)

11 Posts

Oh and I did return my first Dell Venue Pro 8, right after I got it, for "light bleed".

I can't stand that, and I inspected and reinspected each and everything I found, running multiple tests on what I bought which I usually do, I return a lot of stuff for little minor things, until I get the one that's just perfect and I can't find anything to nit pick about it.

I have though encountered a slew of issues though that is driver//os relative, to which instead of returning, I always do a full factory reset and uninstall all drivers, etc, devices and reinstall. 

They throw stuff together mass factory wise, and that included installing the OS and everything that runs the hardware.

After a through physical inspection and test, I wipe it clean and reload everything stock, then modify it to my liking, config'ing it to my personal need//wants.

Do you own a Dell Venue series?

9 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 16:00

Hi arvida66, no I wasn't referring to your response. Perhaps I came across a little harsh but I was referring to an obviously competent IT chap etoolz65. It wasn't a case of disagreeing with his analysis or how he overcame the problem, but more on the expectation that all of us are either skilled, experienced, or even capable enough, that every time we get a "spanking brand new device", we then have to play with it every couple of days to get it to work properly. I admire his skill but that's not me, and I suspect I'm closer to about 80% of User's ability. No offence meant to anyone as I learn a good deal from this forum.

44 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 17:00

Thanks, AFCBfan.   You may not feel skilled in 'computering' but you certainly are in thoughtfulness and diplomacy :)

11 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 23:00

Is that a quad?  You ever play dead trigger on it?  Do you game at all and if you do, do you use and OTG and gamepad?  I use Droid to game on.  Note2 with steelseries cheaper controller, but it's perfect for me, I think I paid like 15 dollars compared to whatever those ps3's cost, wired with otg I would use that too.

So I guess you haven't rooted yours?  I rooted my Dell Streak 7 and utterly destroyed it.  I think I could have fixed it, if I'd have either popped it open and manually redid the flash drive inside, or if I'd have taken my time and reset it manually, it was stuck in "read" only, so I could add stuff to it, change it all around, but soon as I had to restart it, it would start up right where I left off, nothing could be saved to the device or changed aorund, and the way it was set up in "stuck" mode was bad, so I'd have to set it up each and every time I had to restart it.

I think they said at Dell it was because I did the root, then didn't unroot(lock it down) and I left the battery go completely dead and that caused some sort of "read" only feature on the drive.  I just thought of something, maybe it did get unrooted!  Maybe the entire flash//hard drive internal wise was locked and couldn't be written to!!!???

Anyways, I'd like to get a regular streak, Droid Venue 8 like yours and just use it to game on and experiment on.  I do love Droid!  You have a keyboard for it?  Wired or bluetooth and one last question.

Have you gotten this new abes adapter, which is for the Venue 8 Pro, but works on the 11, and likely will work on yours for OTG and charging Venue tab at same time?  If you have, what's your take on it?

22 Posts

October 24th, 2014 00:00

eztool - allow me to answer some of your questions though It should really be on it's own thread

yes the pro series uses a quad core processor and though it's an intel atom it has come a long way in recent years and works well for this device. I haven't played that perticular game but this tablet plesently surprised me in what in what it can handle though it's not gonna be replacing my gaming pc anytime soon. Otg works great on it

Rooting is for android which there really isn't anything like that as the Pro runs on full windows 8.1 which is the same os you would find in any recent labtop or desktop being a tablet pc. Most if not all companies will void the warrenty if you root or jailbreak your device.

I have a BT keyboard with mine and it works great and to answer your last question no I do not have the new usb charging dongle as it's not available in Canada but I would very much like one

44 Posts

October 24th, 2014 04:00

Hi, Chocowolf.  Thanks for responding to eztool,  as I only understood every other word!  After reading your answers though I realized I knew what he was talking about :)  I have a Dell BT keyboard, a Dell BT speaker and the Logitech ultrathin mouse, all which I really like except when they disconnect - bringing us full circle to the first question in this thread.  Have a great day everyone.

11 Posts

October 24th, 2014 16:00

OHHH I'm sorry, forgive me, I thought you had the Dell 8 Droid, yes, I have the Venue 8 Pro also, I have ordered a lot of products from Canada over the years, you could order the item abes otg on ebay and have it shipped to Canada pretty easy I would think.

AND yeah, it's nice have a Win device that is already rooted, LOL.

That's how I think of it, we have root access already with Windows, etc.

I just wonder if the Dell Venue 8(droid) would work with that abes, sorry, I guess I will go to the other threads relative to that and ask such questions.

Okay, thanks for your answers, glad to meet a fellow DV8Pro user.....!!

kk

October 26th, 2014 09:00

Also check this thread: more people with the same issues: Intermittent WIFI connection? and more importantly, this thread shows that Dell knows about the network problems

The bottom line is: Dell knows there are issues with the Venue Pro 8&11. The Wifi and Bluetooth drivers don't work properly. However they don't have been able to come up with a solution. They could do two things:

1. admit that the device is defective and allow people to return it, which would cost them money
  2. remain silent, hide behind procedures and the promise of 'repairs' (which are impossible without working drivers). 

It is obvious that they have chosen option two. There is no shop where you can go to to complain, and they probably hope that eventually people will just give up. Corporate arrogance, in short.

Let's make sure that they don't get away with this. If we all post on Facebook and Twitter that Dell knowingly sell defective tablets and refuses to own up to this than all our social networks will know about this. Thousands of of people who hear about Dell's arrogance will help other people from not making the mistake we have made (buying from a company that can't be trusted) but through social monitoring Dell may also become aware that maybe the should do something after all.

I have posted about this on Facebook today, so more than 500 people have been warned.

And now on the plus side.... I've just thought of possible work around. Has somebody tried this yet? http://www.amazon.com/Cirago-Bluetooth-Speed-Adapter-BTA7300/dp/B005QUQPDA

I've just ordered one. I will disable the on board wifi and bluetooth and this adapter should replace them. It is a frustrating to spend more money and end up with a permanent adapter sticking out of the tablet, but if means that it will finally work properly, so be it. Hope this works. I will report back when I have received it.

1 Message

November 7th, 2014 21:00

i could find neither of those updates. i need help plzzzz[:'(]

2 Posts

November 8th, 2014 15:00

Bummer, was close to ordering a Venue Pro 8 5000, and now am re-thinking that decision. It looked like the best value I could find anywhere, but if the wifi doesn't work, that's a huge deal killer, ***.

guess the tablet search starts again, can't afford a ipad that's actaully usable, and most other tablets out there only have 16gb or 32gb and don't run full Win8.1

No Events found!