Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2014 13:00

Dell Venue 8 screen goes black for no reason

I have a Dell Venue 8 and recently upgraded the OS. After the upgrade my screen goes black for no apparent reason, not related to the "sleep" settings, and it does not respond to touch. I have to click on the power button a few times before it goes back to the password screen.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Please help.

Thanks,

Renato

October 13th, 2014 11:00

I think I have the same issue with my Venue 8, it doesn't "wake up" when pressing the power button. I have to restart it. It usually happens when it has been in sleep mode for a while.

At first I thought I had changed some configuration settings by accident, but I couldn't find anything. Then I thought it could be a battery issue or an overheat issue but my battery app says everything works fine and the temp is fine. I didn't know it was related to the latest android update, until I read it here and in other forums.

¿Has anyone come up with a solution?

2 Posts

January 5th, 2015 13:00

I'm having the same problem on my Venue 8/Android -- display goes blank on order of several times an hour, as well as losing touch sensitivity almost as often. It's hilarious this thread is still marked "Answered" despite no one reporting a fix.

11 Posts

January 6th, 2015 14:00

This occurs on my Venue 8 Pro (tablet is asleep, pressing power button shows black display).

I have noticed that when this happens, the tablet has actually come awake, but the screen is black.  I can see the LCD backlight has come on if the room is dark enough.

I press the power button again, putting the Venue 8 Pro back to sleep, and then wake it again by pressing the Windows button (top right button when the tablet is held in portrait orientation).  That usually wakes it up with the screen showing.  Sometimes I have to repeat this (press power again to sleep -- press the Windows button again to wake).

I can always get it on with the screen showing by retrying these combinations.

915 Posts

January 7th, 2015 05:00

And so, respectfully, call Dell tech. support back and tell them that the issue isn't solved and needs to be fixed (perhaps this was an error, or it was an employee trying to skirt the issue; but, respectfully, don't live with the unacceptable result) . . . .

1 Message

January 7th, 2015 11:00

I have the same problem that you, thus when i'm doing something at my device, sometime the touch screen stops for no reason! Someone could help me?

3 Posts

January 30th, 2015 00:00

Same here. Before i got black screen, now turns white also. So frustrating and annoying. Sometimes i want to slam my tab on tge wall

February 23rd, 2015 01:00

Seems to be related to:

The tablet heating up

A big program being run (some software that takes a lot of hardware resources)

The tablet being used for a long time (charged and recharged) without being shut down for a long time

That is all I was able to figure out.

Ps. I own a dell venue 7 with android 4.4.2 on it

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 09:00

Thanks for that Andrej, but i don't think Dell Venue 7 can really handle apps very well.

February 28th, 2015 19:00

My screen also goes blank, but I think the program is still running in the background. I have to press the power button twice, once to close, and then again to reopen. Very frustrating.

Mark

April 6th, 2015 11:00

Same issue with me too. This problem with venue tabs i all over the net. Doesn't look like Dell has come up with a solution yet.

I regret buying Venue 8 Pro.

1 Message

July 11th, 2015 18:00

I noticed the problem when I first got it from Office Depot. It wouldn't turn on until I recharged it and pressed the power button many times. I bought a leather case that can be used as a stand. I noticed that when connected to a power source and in used while in the case then it wouldn't overheat. Now it wont turn on at all. I see light  as back lit but no display after the Dell boot screen. I suspect that the overheating might have caused data corruption in the same was hard disk data corrupts when Pc's get very hot, lucky it was insured but now I lost all confidence of tablet devices. All tablets from any manufacture are junk and don't last long. cut your losses and buy a cheap laptop instead.

No Events found!