Highlighted
GTD50
1 Copper

Dell Venue Pro 8 Micro USB part #?

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 with a broken micro USB port.  The Tablet belongs to my high school aged daughter.  I think she may have plugged it in up side down too many times.

Dell wants $269 to repair (motherboard swap).

Does anyone know or know where to get the part number for the Micro USB connector that mounts to the motherboard?  I am sure Newark or Digi-key sells an equivalent and I would like to try to replace myself.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Argurios
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Venue Pro 8 Micro USB part #?

Jump to solution

I too have the same problem with my Dell Venue 8 Pro. I was told to send it in for a refurbished replacement and then today I get an email saying I physically damaged it so it isn't covered under warranty.

I dispute this as I have had phones, tablets and gadgets and all I have never had a single issue. They work very straight forward. It is because Dell has put into their Dell Venue 8 Pro tablets a slightly different type of micro USB which is very easy to damage. From day 1 that USB input has been very temperamental to use properly.

There is a thread on these forums of others who all have had similar problems. 

0 Kudos
GTD50
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, unfortunately I have read several forums discussing this same topic - none of which seem to have anyone getting satisfactory results with Dell or others for repair.

I bought mine at Costco (December of 2013) for $299 with a $29 Squartrade warranty.  Squaretrade told me to take it to a local repair shop for repair.  I tried Best Buy Geek squad, Data Dr., Frys Electronics, and a few local repair places (in Phoenix area) and Dell.  Geek squad & Frys said they don't do that.  Data Dr. wanted $100 to evaluate (regardless if they could fix), and the few local shops had never done it on a Dell Venue before (I wouldn't want to leave it at one of these), and Dell wants $269 to swap motherboard to repair.

Dell seemed to be the best option, Squaretrade said they would cover it, but that would only leave $31 for future repairs.  I really didn't get the extended warranty to fix a USB problem that shouldn't exist, I got it for a major issue such as my Teen dropping it or cracking the screen.

Anyway, I don't post in forums a lot, and didn't want to hijack a thread so I thought I would start a new one to see if anyone has had luck fixing it themselves.

Accessing the USB port on the motherboard seems relatively simple (see youtube video youtube.com/watch?v=1BN8wS8J8fs).  I have removed my motherboard and have full access to the USB port.  The old port needs removed and a new one put on.  I was hoping to get a new USB port and take the motherboard to a shop that could repair circuit boards and see how much they would charge to replace.  

Has anyone had any luck fixing it themselves?

I was thinking of replacing the micro AB conector with a B style to help avoid future damage.

Does anyone have the part# for the existing USB port on the Dell motherboard?

0 Kudos
Mikerman
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

When I last checked, there were 3 repair services precisely for this issue at eBay.com, doing the fix for around $40 shipped (do a search on Dell Venue 8 Pro repair).  One service,  MYdeviceRepair, also will put in a micro-B socket rather than the current micro-A socket, if one would like. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Venue-Pro-8-Tablet-REPAIR-for-Micro-USB-Charging-Charge-Port-Connector-...

The socket itself can be found on eBay.com for less than $10.  I also saw that open-box or manf. refurb. DV8Ps can be found on eBay.com for an amazing $150 or so.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
GTD50
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, that is definitly of interest!  Sounds like a good viable option to get this fixed.

I work at a place with people who solder for a living, so I will first try to fix myself first (that is why I was asking for the existing part#).  I haven't gotten an actual part # for the micro USB port on the motherboard yet, but  research tells me there are only a few options.  I still plan to try and fix myself, but if it doesn't work, I will definitly try the ebay repair option.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mikerman
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

And the part itself also is available at eBay.

0 Kudos
Bremann75
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm curious, why would anyone pay $269 to fix something, when a NEW Venue Pro 8 5000 w/64gb only cost $10 more at $279?

then you have a new one working great to replace the broken one, and the old one as a bonus to fix on your own.

just crazy the cost to fix a used one is basically same as a new one?

0 Kudos
Mikerman
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, not infrequently the case nowadays, especially with electronics and given labor costs, and especially when dealing with the manufacturer itself.

Would be nice to see the manf. cutting its customer a deal in such circumstances, such as, turn in the old device and we'll give you half off on a new one.

0 Kudos
Aunt Pitty Pat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and it has been a problem since the day I received the tablet.  I love the tablet except for this.  Now, after 1 year's use, the micro usb port pin has broken and I'm stuck with a useless tablet.

0 Kudos
Mikerman
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and it has been a problem since the day I received the tablet.  I love the tablet except for this.  Now, after 1 year's use, the micro usb port pin has broken and I'm stuck with a useless tablet.

Actually, you're not:  there are repair services via eBay that will replace the port (and one of the services even will use a port that is clearly only 1-way).  One service:  MYdeviceRepair, for $29.95 including the return shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Venue-Pro-8-Tablet-REPAIR-for-Micro-USB-Charging-Charge-Port-Connector-...

Other services as well:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdell+venue+8+pro+r...

0 Kudos