Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2014 23:00

Dell Venue Pro 8 Micro USB part #?

I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 with a broken micro USB port.  The Tablet belongs to my high school aged daughter.  I think she may have plugged it in up side down too many times.

Dell wants $269 to repair (motherboard swap).

Does anyone know or know where to get the part number for the Micro USB connector that mounts to the motherboard?  I am sure Newark or Digi-key sells an equivalent and I would like to try to replace myself.

915 Posts

April 29th, 2015 10:00

I have the same issue and it has been a problem since the day I received the tablet.  I love the tablet except for this.  Now, after 1 year's use, the micro usb port pin has broken and I'm stuck with a useless tablet.

Actually, you're not:  there are repair services via eBay that will replace the port (and one of the services even will use a port that is clearly only 1-way).  One service:  MYdeviceRepair, for $29.95 including the return shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Venue-Pro-8-Tablet-REPAIR-for-Micro-USB-Charging-Charge-Port-Connector-/321670929154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae514db02

Other services as well:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdell+venue+8+pro+repair.TRS0&_nkw=dell+venue+8+pro+repair&_sacat=0

8 Posts

November 7th, 2014 01:00

I too have the same problem with my Dell Venue 8 Pro. I was told to send it in for a refurbished replacement and then today I get an email saying I physically damaged it so it isn't covered under warranty.

I dispute this as I have had phones, tablets and gadgets and all I have never had a single issue. They work very straight forward. It is because Dell has put into their Dell Venue 8 Pro tablets a slightly different type of micro USB which is very easy to damage. From day 1 that USB input has been very temperamental to use properly.

There is a thread on these forums of others who all have had similar problems. 

3 Posts

November 7th, 2014 06:00

Yes, unfortunately I have read several forums discussing this same topic - none of which seem to have anyone getting satisfactory results with Dell or others for repair.

I bought mine at Costco (December of 2013) for $299 with a $29 Squartrade warranty.  Squaretrade told me to take it to a local repair shop for repair.  I tried Best Buy Geek squad, Data Dr., Frys Electronics, and a few local repair places (in Phoenix area) and Dell.  Geek squad & Frys said they don't do that.  Data Dr. wanted $100 to evaluate (regardless if they could fix), and the few local shops had never done it on a Dell Venue before (I wouldn't want to leave it at one of these), and Dell wants $269 to swap motherboard to repair.

Dell seemed to be the best option, Squaretrade said they would cover it, but that would only leave $31 for future repairs.  I really didn't get the extended warranty to fix a USB problem that shouldn't exist, I got it for a major issue such as my Teen dropping it or cracking the screen.

Anyway, I don't post in forums a lot, and didn't want to hijack a thread so I thought I would start a new one to see if anyone has had luck fixing it themselves.

Accessing the USB port on the motherboard seems relatively simple (see youtube video youtube.com/watch?v=1BN8wS8J8fs).  I have removed my motherboard and have full access to the USB port.  The old port needs removed and a new one put on.  I was hoping to get a new USB port and take the motherboard to a shop that could repair circuit boards and see how much they would charge to replace.  

Has anyone had any luck fixing it themselves?

I was thinking of replacing the micro AB conector with a B style to help avoid future damage.

Does anyone have the part# for the existing USB port on the Dell motherboard?

915 Posts

November 7th, 2014 08:00

When I last checked, there were 3 repair services precisely for this issue at eBay.com, doing the fix for around $40 shipped (do a search on Dell Venue 8 Pro repair).  One service,  MYdeviceRepair, also will put in a micro-B socket rather than the current micro-A socket, if one would like. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Venue-Pro-8-Tablet-REPAIR-for-Micro-USB-Charging-Charge-Port-Connector-/221542976518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3394fd8c06

The socket itself can be found on eBay.com for less than $10.  I also saw that open-box or manf. refurb. DV8Ps can be found on eBay.com for an amazing $150 or so.   :)

3 Posts

November 7th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for the info, that is definitly of interest!  Sounds like a good viable option to get this fixed.

I work at a place with people who solder for a living, so I will first try to fix myself first (that is why I was asking for the existing part#).  I haven't gotten an actual part # for the micro USB port on the motherboard yet, but  research tells me there are only a few options.  I still plan to try and fix myself, but if it doesn't work, I will definitly try the ebay repair option.

Thank you!

915 Posts

November 8th, 2014 11:00

And the part itself also is available at eBay.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2014 13:00

I'm curious, why would anyone pay $269 to fix something, when a NEW Venue Pro 8 5000 w/64gb only cost $10 more at $279?

then you have a new one working great to replace the broken one, and the old one as a bonus to fix on your own.

just crazy the cost to fix a used one is basically same as a new one?

915 Posts

November 9th, 2014 07:00

Unfortunately, not infrequently the case nowadays, especially with electronics and given labor costs, and especially when dealing with the manufacturer itself.

Would be nice to see the manf. cutting its customer a deal in such circumstances, such as, turn in the old device and we'll give you half off on a new one.

April 29th, 2015 10:00

I have the same issue and it has been a problem since the day I received the tablet.  I love the tablet except for this.  Now, after 1 year's use, the micro usb port pin has broken and I'm stuck with a useless tablet.

April 29th, 2015 13:00

THANK YOU!  I've set up the order.  I appreciate it!

915 Posts

May 4th, 2015 22:00

Good luck!   :emotion-1:

No Events found!