Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2014 13:00

Dell Venue Pro 8 Stylus Discontinued ?

I chose the Venue Pro 8, over similar products from competitors, because of the active stylus. In early December, I got the 64GB version (Microsoft Store), but the store was sold out of pens.

Since then, I have been patiently checking the website, which has consistently indicated "sold out."

But now:

A) The stylus has disappeared form the accessories page.

B) None of the bundles shipping from Dell.Com include the stylus.

Interestingly, a bunch of the photos and advertising collateral still include the stylus.

It would be great to have some feedback from Dell about the direction here. Does the Venue Pro 8 support an active stylus? If so, where could I buy one? Is there simply a temporary hold-up while some (apparent) fundamental design/technology problems are addressed, or a hiccup in the supply chain?

I must confess that right now I feel like I have made a purchase based on false advertising claims from Dell.

January 12th, 2014 16:00

I had the same reaction. I was able to pre-order the stylus and keyboard folio 8 weeks ago together, with estimated delivery date of Jan 6th. Jan 7th no package, and an updated delivery date of Jan 16th. Fast forward to Jan 10th, and i get an email and a phone call from Dell saying that my order was canceled due to the product no longer being available. Keeping in mind I had been on a wait list and charged (paypal) long ago for my product. I called and talked to support, then to India to get some more help. They had no indication in their system that the stylus was discontinued. Fast forward to the next supervisor level and a reference number in my email - Yes the stylus has been discontinued. 

Here's hoping Dell makes good on this and has a replacement ready to ship in the next week or so in order to not completely upset a lot of consumers. I do admit that the first batches of stylus had no reason to hit the market as faulty as they were, but with the new firmware fixing the stylus screen response. I am very upset that they removed it from the market. 

3 Posts

January 13th, 2014 06:00

Same here.  I've been monitoring the "out-of-stock" stylus since December, and this morning I saw it was no longer listed as an accessory.  I bought the tablet for my wife because she wanted a stylus like I have on my Samsung Note 2.  She gave the tablet back to me because there is no stylus.

Without the stylus, it has less to offer than the other brands (especially those that offer hdmi output.)

What a disappointment.  I may be looking at an exchange.

1 Message

January 13th, 2014 13:00

Well, I certainly hope that Dell is redesigning and/or improving the stylus and that's why it's currently not available. If they've dropped support for the stylus completely with no plans to replace it, then I'll be jumping ship to something else. The Asus VivoTab 8 with the Wacom digitizer maybe?

23 Posts

January 13th, 2014 17:00

I too just ordered one of these then found this thread

the stylus was a huge reason i went with this tablet.

Do other ones work with it the way it's intended?

Dell, any comments?

25 Posts

January 13th, 2014 18:00

There is another long thread on here covering the stylus.  It's not being discontinued, but the pen is being revised and rumors are being re-released sometime in February.  The ones which were available to begin with and recently are made very poorly and there is a good chance the first pen you receive wouldn't work correctly.  I bought three from a local MS store and only one worked correctly.  Even then if you leave the stylus in the pen holder in the folio case it drains the battery within a couple days.  

There are no other pens which work with this tablet, you need the Dell active stylus since the digitizer (Synaptics) is unique to this tablet.  

Dell has said they will release an update when ready but there are many people working on the issue.  

1 Message

January 14th, 2014 07:00

I have had three (3) of the Dell pens for my V8P--- not one of them lasted more than a week!    The first one (I got with the tablet) never worked properly.  The next replacement worked fine for about three days.  The third one worked very well for about a week.

I purchased this V8P for taking notes.  Without a working pen and handwriting recognition, I find the device no more useful (probably LESS useful) than my Android tablets.  I'd very much like to return it-- but now I've passed the point where Dell will accept a return and provide a refund.  Yet they continue to advertise the Stylus and its benefits . . .

2 Posts

January 20th, 2014 21:00

I totally agree with you. They shouldn't advertise what they don't have. What I hate the most is that lack of transparency from Dell, not even letting us know what is the real problem and when (if ever) it will be fixed.

Returning my Venue 11 to get a galaxy note.

I advise you to do the same.

Good luck.

2 Posts

January 21st, 2014 06:00

im having this same problem, i contacted Dell Live chat and the representative told me that the Dell Wacom Active Stylus item # 331-4193 would work with the Dell Venue pro 8, i told him that the technology used in the dell venue 8 was from Synaptics and not from wacom but he reassured me that it would work, has anyone tried this? im unsure, don't want to go through the hassle of ordering it and then not working and having to ship it back for a refund

2 Posts

January 21st, 2014 06:00

Don't buy the wacom one. They use different technology. The venue pro uses synaptics (their first try)

1 Message

January 25th, 2014 11:00

I was told the same thing. I just got the Wacom Stylus in the mail, and it does NOT appear to be compatible with the Dell Venue 11 Pro. I wish I had seen this information before relying on Dell Tech support.

25 Posts

January 25th, 2014 13:00

Yeah I'm not sure how you don't put an internal note in for the product that says it's temporarily unavailable.  Tech support people sending people Wacom and capacitive styluses claiming they will work in place of the active stylus is just wrong.  It's really baffling.  

Equally as baffling is trying to return the bluetooth keyboard and case, and having it sit in "hold status" for a week.  Now I'm going to have to waste a ton of time calling someone at Dell to try and get a return authorization.  

My first and likely last Dell purchase.  

214 Posts

January 25th, 2014 14:00

Woo! Something special 'bout that keyboard; same thing happened to me — even tho they admit to getting it back 5 weeks ago... 

24 Posts

January 25th, 2014 21:00

Same here! ordered my Venue 11 pro for note taking and no stylus..... I called last week and was told they have one, paid over the phone and in my confirmation email they sent me the Targus Stylus...... called back and asked that my order be cancelled. I was told it was and 4 days latter the Targus stylus shows up :/  to add insult I was also charged for it. Way to go Dell! (sending it back would cost me about $6.00 in shipping so it's not worth it)

1 Message

January 29th, 2014 07:00

Yes, my experience with Dell has been bad as well!

Tech support was useless, I could do more and faster by googling over attempting to explain the issue to them.

I had a venue 11 pro, and it was a basket case. I finally got an exchange. The new one works great other than some random quirks on the windows side, not the tablet (i.e wake up issues)

For technical issues, I advise heavily to go thru a Microsoft store if you have one near by. They can service Dell tablets and laptops. If you need an exchange, they can do it, but with a 50 dollar fee (worth not having to deal with Dell and whatever random country the horrible customer service comes from)

As far as the stylus, I asked the Microsoft store person if and when it was coming. They said all accessories were pulled recently for technical issues. Just recently, they added the soft cover keyboard (cheaper than Dell...hmmm) and Dell added the battery inclusive keyboard. So it seems the accessories are starting to trickle back in. The panel firmware update was there solely to address the stylus issues, so I doubt very much the tablets will never have a stylus. And the Dell instruction to use a Wacom stylus is evidence of their exceptional technical prowess (being sarcastic). These tablets are great machines, just a shame they are from Dell. 

January 29th, 2014 08:00

Same deal here......the tip out of my stylus fell out and disappeared( I think it went on permanent vacation), and they don't have them at the MS stores here either. 

What's worse is that I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of these tips sitting in a bin in a Dell warehouse somewhere, and there's no way to even ORDER replacement tips. It's crazy. :emotion-6:

I ONLY purchased the DVP8 because of the stylus functionality. Just a bit bummed.

No Events found!