Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 4th, 2011 20:00

Dell Venue Pro Unlock code

Hi,

I ordered a Dell Venue Pro with full price (without contract) from Dell site and got it delivered on 24th Dec.

As the mobile is purchased with full price, I wanted an unlock code for the mobile so that I can use it with AT&T.

I contacted T-Mobile for the unlock code and they told me that I would receive an email containing unlock code within 24 hours. I got an email after one day saying, T-Mobile doesn't have unlock codes for Dell Venue Pro and told me that unlock code can be given by Dell itself.

I contacted Dell support today and explained the situation. The customer care rep told me that they (Dell) too do not have unlock code for Dell venue pro. 

This is weird. Dell should be having unlock codes for their own model. I don't know what to do now :(

Any guidance will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bhavik

6 Posts

January 10th, 2011 15:00

I would like to know as well, buying at full price I would have expected it would be easier to get a code but T-Mobile says I need to call Dell and Dell says to call T-Mobile.

4 Posts

January 10th, 2011 21:00

AT&T doesn't use the same bands as T-Mobile for data, so I don't think this is a great idea.  I looked into to doing the same thing myself.  I'm pretty sure it would work for voice, but half the cool stuff about smartphones requires data service.

6 Posts

January 11th, 2011 03:00

True but if you travel overseas it would be nice to use a ore paid SIM, even in the us if you could handle Edge and WiFi it would be ok if you really needed it,

January 11th, 2011 16:00

FeedB4ck is correct.

However, my main concern is to get the unlock code. As of now T-Mobile is redirecting to Dell and Dell is redirecting to T-Mobile.

In my openion, T-Mobile might be speaking truth about not having received the unlock codes from Dell yet as TMobile are not directly selling the Dell Venue Pro. The only way to get Venue Pro right now is through Dell.

So Dell should be having the unlock codes for the devices it sells. However, no help from Dell on this :(

4 Posts

January 12th, 2011 21:00

I have a solution!

Set up a three-way conference call between yourself, Dell, and TMobile. 

Let the two of the argue it out.

For bonus points, record the whole thing.  You know how support calls always start with "for quality assurance, calls may be recorded?"  That sounds like permission to me.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2011 11:00

I went around and around with this same issue.  I spoke with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Dell and got no satisfaction.  I went to a company that charges for unlock codes and they couldn't do it either.  One Dell rep that was at least a little knowledgeable said it was "unlockable."  I'm inclined to believe that, though it could change in the future I'm sure.

As for compatibility, the AT&T rep I spoke with looked up the Venue Pro and said that frequencies were fine and wouldn't have any problem... if I could unlock it.

For now, I hate to say it, but give up.  Some people have said to me that six-month exclusivity deals aren't unheard of.  Maybe around May/June they'll start offering unlock codes.  Who knows though.

7 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 07:00

Ask me about it. I am traveling overseas with a venue pro and when I tried to use local prepaid SIM it was denied.after spending half an hour with Tmobile customer service rep on an international call I was finally directed to Dell for unlock code.now its been over 48 hours since I wrote to Dell and still got no  response.

must say that Dell is not providing a good enough service for its too good products.

Now I am stuck with a useless piece of hardware and a predicament regarding whether I should wait for any response from Dell or rather accept that customers like us are of no value to Dell. 

7 Posts

March 4th, 2011 10:00

UPDATE : Dell customer service team contacted me at 10:35 (almost an hour after i posted here) and asked me about a couple of details of my device (also, guided me how to find them) and my unlock code was sent to me 2 hours back. i, now have full access to my phone's functionality thanks to dell service team.

kudos!!

March 5th, 2011 07:00

I've just run into the same problem of Dell to T-Mobile and T-Mobile to Dell redirection with my Venue Pro no-contract, full-price-paid phone. This happened during the past hour and T-Mobile is saying they simply have no codes for Venue Pros (they have checked my particular IMEI to make sure) and cannot help, while Dell is saying that only T-M can help me.

According to previous comment I realize that it's Dell support who is making me to make unneeded overseas call to get what I've paid for. If Dell reps are reading this please contact me over e-mail to help with this issue.

Dell Venue Pro is being available for 3 month by the moment. I'm really surprised that support is still not educated enough to help customers with this phones unlock procedure.

7 Posts

March 5th, 2011 17:00

Well,in way tmobile is right that they don't have the codes.dell can generate unlock codes but t mobile will give u the email address where u'll need to write for the code. Better talk to t mobile customer service again.

March 9th, 2011 02:00

Varun V, thank you! But this doesn't make sense to me... I will call to t-mobile to get information they don't have but Dell have? At the same time Dell cannot provide this information despite of the fact they have it? Am I missing something?

T-Mobile girl were very surprised with "Dell Venue Pro" model name. Doesn't seem like they have any information on this specific model to share... Even my IMEI code didn't help.

7 Posts

March 9th, 2011 08:00

hello zaitsev,

I might be completely wrong but during my days of problem i spent quite some time talking (even arguing) with T-mobile customer service reps.during that period i also went through many unofficial forums/websites/discussion blogs etc. what i gathered from there is that only Dell will provide the unlock code but this code is provided by a specific team from dell. This team can be contacted through a certain email address only. 

now when T mobile feels that the customer's unlock code request is supported by a genuine reason( or customer has spend a particular time with T-mobile) they direct the customer to the concerned team dedicated to generate unlock codes.

This is what happened with me. I was one of the early buyers of DVP and have been with T mobile for quite some now. I insisted that i am not planning to switch to any other service provider(they are all far from perfect) and kept requesting for the code. I must add that i was lucky in a way. I was attended by a rep who had decent knowledge about smart phones et all. He gave me a case no. and asked me to write to cust. care email address. In the reply i got an email address. I send my request to that email address n got my unlock code.

I can't be more thankful to Dell's for that.

so to sum it up.. though the hardware is from dell n they'll provide the unlock code, we,customers are actually under contract with T-mobile. So, Tmobile decides if we'd get the code or not. 

Dell has been blamed for many such issues where i feel, they can't really help the customers.

I hope now it's more clear.

March 9th, 2011 23:00

Hi, Varun.

I had same problem wt Dell and T-Mobile.

Both companies told me, there is no unlock code to them, and they just said, "Ask to Dell", "Ask to T-mobile"

It looks like weird Ping-pong game, because one of them is manufacturer and the other is Service Provider. lol

Anyway, I bought DVP but I cannot use it in South Korea, because both Dell and T-mobile didn't provide Unlock code to me.

If you okay, Can you share customer rep. E-mail Address?

Without unlock code, DVP is just piece of brick. :-[

(If I cannot get unlock code, my DVP will use to Frisbee for my dog. It will luxurious 499.99 Bucks special frisbee. lol)

March 9th, 2011 23:00

Varun, could you please share this email address or at least cust.care e-mail of T-Mobile? I couldn't find one on the website and overseas cals are a bit expensive for holding on the line.

Thanks in advance!

March 10th, 2011 08:00

Hi, Zaitsev.

I just got unlock code from Dell Mobile Service.

The number is 1 800 308 3355

It's international call, but if you call by Skype, It's free :)

After connect wt Dell, Press number 3, and chat wt Dell rep.

They will ask about your Service code, IMEI, E-mail address, phone number, after 24 hrs, calling back to Mobile Service Dept.

You can get your unlock code :)

Oh, Don't forget your case number.

It makes faster and easier progress when you calling back to Dell.

Be Well :-]

No Events found!