Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2010 21:00

Dell Venue Pro crashing

I received my Venue Pro yesterday (Dec 21st) and have been experiencing multiple phone crashes and freezing issues.

It seems to happen at random at this point, and has been getting worse as time goes on. This could be tied to downloading apps on the marketplace as that’s when I first noticed the problem.

The phone seems to heat up considerably around the lower back (above the micro usb port) right before the phone will either shut off, or the phone will display the on screen image frozen. I even removed the battery and experienced the same problem when the phone was just plugged in.

I owned the HD7 prior to purchasing the DVP, and found my experience with that phone to be almost flawless, but returned it in favor for the AMOLED screen, better form factor, and longer battery life. At this point im really starting to wonder if I made the right choice after all.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Wondering if this is software or hardware related.

I am going to play around with the phone a bit more, but I plan to contact Dell tomorrow in regards to the issue...

10 Posts

December 28th, 2010 12:00

The guy I talked to in tech support checked with his supervisors and told me there is no chance of them putting 512MB RAM in the phone. So with that in mind, regardless whether they fix all the problems with the phone or not (more likely they wont) I don't want a WP7 phone with only 256MB RAM as this will most likely be a major issues when multitasking is introduced. Couple this with Dells bizarre refund policy, I think I'll just get my money back thanks. I'll keep an eye on the forums for a while & If they put 512MB RAM in the phone & fix all the issues then I'd love to pick up this phone up again. (provided I don't buy the HTC HD7 in mean time which I'm very temped to do at this stage)

Well done Dell you totally burned yourself! ;)

11 Posts

December 28th, 2010 14:00

Vote here on whether your Dell Venue Pro is crashing frequently: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=891295

16 Posts

December 28th, 2010 17:00

I'm hearing that the DVP actually has 512MB, but either the software is wrong or the WP7 library is misreporting.  However, after the DVP shipping debacle I'm inclined to believe Dell is at fault and put in either faulty memory or 256MB and the intentionally left the available RAM off the product page and failed to correct erroneous reports about the RAM provided to sucker people into believe this phone had the same amount of RAM as every other WP7 phone currently on the market.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2010 20:00

I also went to the microsoft store a few days ago and asked them about the RAM, the guy didn't really have an affirmative answer, but he did tell me a figure of 512mb RAM/ROM, but he seemed uncertain. I really don't think they would dare to trick people into such a lie, hopefully I'm right..,, what I would really like to know is when they will finally give us a strait answer for all this confusion. I haven't experienced any freezes or crashes on my phone except for one time when  I was updating the newsroom app. otherwise it seems to work well on both 3g and wifi...

8 Posts

December 28th, 2010 22:00

On the off chance there is a bug of some sort in the deviceinfo application I decided to throw together a quick test app.  The device does indeed report 225 MB of memory.  Barring a problem with the way the device is reporting memory to the OS or a bug in the API it does indeed look like Dell hasn't actually put the expected 512 MB of memory in the devices.  My device crashes constantly, five, ten times a day.  I had sort of assumed that it had something to do with it being an initial release.  I know a lot of folks with Focuses have reported lots of issues.  But not basic stability problems.  Given the issues with downloading and installing large applications, the basic stability, and what appears to either be load thrashing, disk swapping, or GC issues in a number of games, it seems like the OS really needs more like 512 MB.  I'm probably going to send it back for a replacement unit, but if it doesn't actually have 512 MB, I think I'm going to insist on a refund. 

13 Posts

December 29th, 2010 03:00

After countless more crashes, I called this evening asking for any update, but the CSR had none, but she acknowledged there were problems as posted here in the forums and elsewhere.  I asked if I could cancel my replacement and just send back my existing phone for a refund, and she was able to do that after talking to a supervisor.  I've since ordered an HTC HD7 and we'll see how that goes.

Maybe I'll be back after Dell manages to get this all worked out, but right now I need a phone that works.

16 Posts

December 29th, 2010 07:00

DVP just crashed again (that's 2x since I removed it from the charger), this time I tried to load the Newsroom app and it got stuck on the loading screen and even holding the power button down won't reboot it.  Good thing they made the battery easy to access.  How does one release a phone this buggy?  Simple testing would be enough to find most of these issues.  There's even a list of known issues on this site, and another list at xda. 

As usual, Dell is completely silent on whether there is a coming patch for the issues most people are experiencing.  They are also noticeably silent on how much actual RAM this phone has 256 or 512MB.  The latter is the easiest to resolve.  Just put up the specs of the phone, but it appears Dell would rather benefit  from the intentional lack of information than correct it.  If nothing is heard from Dell soon, I may opt out of the Venue Pro and head for greener pastures with other manufacturers.

11 Posts

December 29th, 2010 08:00

But just to clarify, it MOSTLY happens with WiFi on - but not exclusively. Another fairly frequent crash is when I'm using an app - say a game - and a text comes in. When I try to swap out to the text....hang and battery pull.

370 Posts

December 29th, 2010 08:00

For those of you experiencing freezing/crashing while using WiFi, please post your firmware version. I have some folks in engineering looking at this but they need more details.

Thanks,

Amy

12 Posts

December 29th, 2010 09:00

I have this wifi issue also... firmware -  2250.1500.7004.105

32 Posts

2250.1500.7004.105. I noticed the crashing only happened when I was connected to my wifi network at home, usually when downloading large apps (xbox live games), but even sometimes when I was just checking FB friends and such it would also crash. This would require pulling out the battery.

Just sent the phone back for replacement...Wonder if this is this something that can be fixed with a simple update?

2 Posts

Ive got 2250.1500.7004.105 as well.

2 Posts

curious, i also have 2250.1500.7004.105 but ive experienced crashes only once, and that was in the newsroom app. both wifi and 3g is working well

5 Posts

Same firmware revision:  2250.1500.7004.105; Turning off WiFi has helped, although even after turning on WiFi things have been pretty stable of late.

16 Posts

December 29th, 2010 10:00

Mine is also 2250.1500.7004.105

No Events found!