Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2010 21:00

Dell Venue Pro crashing

I received my Venue Pro yesterday (Dec 21st) and have been experiencing multiple phone crashes and freezing issues.

It seems to happen at random at this point, and has been getting worse as time goes on. This could be tied to downloading apps on the marketplace as that’s when I first noticed the problem.

The phone seems to heat up considerably around the lower back (above the micro usb port) right before the phone will either shut off, or the phone will display the on screen image frozen. I even removed the battery and experienced the same problem when the phone was just plugged in.

I owned the HD7 prior to purchasing the DVP, and found my experience with that phone to be almost flawless, but returned it in favor for the AMOLED screen, better form factor, and longer battery life. At this point im really starting to wonder if I made the right choice after all.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Wondering if this is software or hardware related.

I am going to play around with the phone a bit more, but I plan to contact Dell tomorrow in regards to the issue...

December 31st, 2010 16:00

I just received my Venue Pro and it is crashing as well. It happens at random when going in and out of applications. Looks like Dell isn't saying much regarding the issues.

Is it worth getting a replacement or should I just return it? It seems like all of the phones are going out with this crash. I assumed that they dealt withthe issues before going into production, but I guess I was wrong. :\

I actually made the change to T-Mobile to pick this up. Returning it leaves me with a SIM chip, but no phone.

40 Posts

December 31st, 2010 19:00

Amy,

Add me to the list of folk who experiencing lockups with Wi-Fi.

I have ver. 2250.1500.7004.105

This is defintely a wi-fi issue. I tried different secure and unsecure networks, but it crashes regardless.The phone works well in 3G with Wi-fi off.  Hopefully this can be resolved without returining the phone.

DiAngelo

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 09:00

I am having the same problems with my Venue.  I am really disappointed with this phone.   

32 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 10:00

These issues have been going on for quite some time now (For me since the 23rd of Dec), and are not just isolated to a few people as we can already see. Dell has yet to provide any official response in regards to this matter, and my exchange unit has yet to go out either.

I already sent the original defective phone back, and unless an update is provided tomorrow I am just going to request a full refund.

Why just ignore all these people? The lack of response on Dell's end is really disheartening...

16 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 08:00

You what is disheartening?  The fact that I wrote a meaningful post that explained all of the missteps that Dell has taken with the device, and ended by asking Dell to at least acknowledge the issues with the DVP and state that they are working on a fix.  I had asked that they extend the return time for the people who are currently suffering with the freezing and lockup issues.  I also said how I like the form-factor and the keyboard.  I stated that it was incomprehensible that Dell cannot supply the users with an actual numerical value of the amount of RAM on the DVP.  I mean, that number had to be written down, and approved, before the phone was released to manufacturing.  Why can't someone just post that number, from that sheet?  Again, nothing but silence from Dell.  I touched on Dell's CSRs and how inept and clueless they are once they are forced to go off script.  If Dell's (outsourced) employees don't know where to look for, or who to ask for information, then what chance does a customer have.

It boiled down the the idea that $500 should buy you a working cell phone.  I had hoped it would be the DVP.  Dell had 1.5 months to work out the issues, not counting the internal testing they did, and still managed to release a phone that is plain unreliable.  I ended by stating that I needed to hear something from Dell because my return date was fast approaching and I needed reassurances from Dell that they knew about the issues and were working on fixes before I got stuck with a phone that is unreliable.

I'm not sure what the issue was there, but my post was moderated.  I guess they can spend the time deleting posts from concerned customers and not actually tracking down the issues that caused them to feel the need to post their frustrations on a message board.

11 Posts

@Kymera77: Don't know if you actually wrote something that needed moderation but assuming you didn't, that's pretty ridiculous of Dell if they did.

I have to agree - I've become more disappointed with the (lack of) updates on the issue than the fact that my phone randomly crashes. I'm also wary of the clock ticking on returning the device. If they'd come out with something telling me something even slightly concrete beyond the one post from Amy (which I did appreciate), I'd feel alot better. I'm sitting here liking form of the physical device, wanting to keep it but getting really frustrated with the whole shoddy episode.

32 Posts

I hear ya Kymera... After all is said and done I just want a phone that works. :emotion-6:

Calling Dell today, wish me luck.

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 10:00

@Silvergun360: I was in the same boat as you are. Until i called someone from Customer Escalations team and they managed to cancel the "Replacement order".

The sad thing is now I am going back to a Nexus S. I loved Windows Phone 7 as an OS, but i couldn't take Dell's silence any longer. From my initial order to late shipping, to the non-arrival of those blue tooth headsets that they promised to the lack of any support. I couldn't take any more drama.

I suggest you call Customer Escalations team and ask them to cancel your replacement order. 

32 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 10:00

Well Dell Mobility told me that they can't issue a credit because I have a "Replacement order" pending, but they can't provide me with a time frame on when the replacement will go out either. They just would not budge on this...

I already sent the original phone back and they should receive it tomorrow. Does any of this seem legal???

I really wish the Dellcares Team would provide some sort of feedback in regards to this.... Please...

32 Posts

January 4th, 2011 12:00

Any updates on this Dell?

16 Posts

January 4th, 2011 16:00

Nope.  Nothing to see here.  No updates, no fixes, no statements, no acknowledgements, and definitely no promises.

12 Posts

January 5th, 2011 10:00

sigh.... DELL!  INFORMATION PLEASE!  Even if its just to say we're working on it... ignoring us is NOT helping!

22 Posts

January 5th, 2011 11:00

called again today to get a status update on my 'in production' replacement.  the CSR i spoke with this time said that orders are 'backed up' from the holidays. this might mean nothing but at least it's not 'we don't really know why your order hasn't shipped yet, please check back with us tomorrow'.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2011 12:00

@SilverGun360

Don't get excited about your replacement device. I ordered mine last week and it came today (not sure why you haven't received yours yet). Replacement has issues as the first one... I've decided to keep the phone because I really like the form factor but what an absolutely terrible purchase experience. I hope they will fix some of these lock up issues with a firmware update. As for the RAM I think we are stuck with 256mb.

This device has so much potential and DELL just completely messed it up.

32 Posts

January 5th, 2011 13:00

@Cnote123: Well if the phone can be somewhat stable while the WiFi is turned off then I can possibly deal with it until a fix is released, but I already sent the original unit back (the Dell rep on the phone said I should). I also put in the request for a replacement on the 23rd (almost two weeks ago) and it still shows up as "in production". Did they ship it out Next Day as they said they would?

This just goes back to that whole thing about how the first phone orders were the last to go out and such. Nothing seems to be in sync here at all...

No Events found!