Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2010 21:00

Dell Venue Pro crashing

I received my Venue Pro yesterday (Dec 21st) and have been experiencing multiple phone crashes and freezing issues.

It seems to happen at random at this point, and has been getting worse as time goes on. This could be tied to downloading apps on the marketplace as that’s when I first noticed the problem.

The phone seems to heat up considerably around the lower back (above the micro usb port) right before the phone will either shut off, or the phone will display the on screen image frozen. I even removed the battery and experienced the same problem when the phone was just plugged in.

I owned the HD7 prior to purchasing the DVP, and found my experience with that phone to be almost flawless, but returned it in favor for the AMOLED screen, better form factor, and longer battery life. At this point im really starting to wonder if I made the right choice after all.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Wondering if this is software or hardware related.

I am going to play around with the phone a bit more, but I plan to contact Dell tomorrow in regards to the issue...

6 Posts

April 6th, 2011 22:00

I replaced my 8GB microSD card with the prescribed 32GB SanDisk (Sandisk part number SDSDQM-032G-B35) card and it has NOT stopped the WiFi hangs. Now, it seems to have worked for some folks I guess based on the comments on the board and this article: http://www.wpcentral.com/fix-your-venue-pro-kill-your-warranty 

For me, the hangs are less freqently (maybe), but I still don't use WiFi so as not deal with the hassle of suddenly hung phone.

That said, it is awesome to have a lot more room for onboard music and apps. That was worth the $88 for the card to let me retire my ZuneHD.

I would suspect the forthcoming Dell-specific ROM/firmware update post-NoDo will target these issues. I hope. See: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/30/nodo-windows-phone-7-update-hits-the-venue-pro-dell-update-to-f/ 

FWIW, I have cycled through 7004, 7008 and 7390 on this 32GB card and nothing has changed w.r.t. WiFi freezes.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2011 22:00

Should I at least try to replace my micro SD card?

Mine does not say anything about voiding the warranty on my unit's black tape/sticker.

17 Posts

April 6th, 2011 23:00

Should I at least try to replace my micro SD card?

Mine does not say anything about voiding the warranty on my unit's black tape/sticker.

Be warned. It looks like a black piece of tape but as you remove it the letters "void" appear on it. It's as if the actual letters stay stuck to the phone in black and when you raise the tape the outline of the letters appear. Mine looked just like yours; a piece of black tape. Either way I was going to remove it. I was way too frustrated. I replaced my Micro with a class 2 card that I took out of an old Blackberry Storm (don't laugh). The phone has been just fine with Wifi on the entire time. I simply just got tired of waiting for an "official" fix.

17 Posts

April 6th, 2011 23:00

I replaced my 8GB microSD card with the prescribed 32GB SanDisk (Sandisk part number SDSDQM-032G-B35) card and it has NOT stopped the WiFi hangs.  

Just out of curiosity, because I've read complaints about this particular card, did you actually receive a class 2 as it was originally designed or did you receive a class 4 as it seems Sandisk has replaced them with. Check the actual Micro card to see the little number that is stamped on it. It seems that these DVPs favor class 2 cards over class 4. Mine came with a class 4 Sandisk and I replaced it with a class 2 Sandisk that I had around the house. It's been working fine with wifi. I was eyeing this same card that you mentioned, but when I started reading that people were receiving class 4 cards instead of class 2 I backed off.

12 Posts

April 7th, 2011 08:00

Is this a class 4 or class 2 32gb sandisk card I tried a class 4 like the one that came in the device and still had the freezing then I tried a class 2 and no freezing.

6 Posts

April 7th, 2011 19:00

I need to pull it out and look. I got burned on a Kingston card, so I ordered the exact SKU referenced on WP7Insider and on the XNA forums assuming that the SKU was literally specific that Class 2 spec card.

That said, outside of the WiFi hangs, I have had no problems at all. This was not true of the Kingston class 4 32GB card. It would freeze and reset and became very unstable -with or without WiFi. The SanDisk SKU is totally stable, like the stock SanDisk 8GB but hangs on some WiFi intensive fetches & writes.

17 Posts

April 27th, 2011 21:00

I replaced my Micro with a class 2 card that I took out of an old Blackberry Storm (don't laugh). The phone has been just fine with Wifi on the entire time. I simply just got tired of waiting for an "official" fix.

Just to update. I swapped out my original card on 3/23/11. The phone has been just fine with the Wifi ON the entire time since the swap and my bluetooth has been stable as well. Not saying this is for everyone, but I'm sure glad I did it. No idea why a slower class card would make it more stable, but after the switch I didn't notice ANY type of lag or slowness as a result of using a slower card.

Hope the firmware update helps you guys...whenever it shows...

1 Message

May 11th, 2011 09:00

Unchecked "Notify me when new networks are found" in the WIFI Settings, none of the DVP's I manage have locked up since.

Phone
Model: DELL Venue Pro
Time: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 ● 8:00:41 AM
Time zone: UTC-07
Turned on since: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 ● 6:36:25 PM
Operating time: 13 hours, 24 minutes and 15 seconds
Screen resolution: 480 x 800
Display language: English (United States)
Region format: English (United States)
OS version: 7.0.7392
.NET CLR version: 3.7.10302.0
Firmware version: 2250.1500.7004.105
Hardware version: 112.576.2.0
Device ID: f1ca807b-4ed1c728-5956eb6b-dbec30ed-4ef36fd9
Live ID: xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx

Storage
Total memory: 225.02 MB
Available storage: 12 GB
Number of songs: 229
Number of pictures: 2
Pictures size: 27.67 KB

Network
Connection interface: GSM cellular data
IP address: -

System Information by Eyjo is a free app for Windows Phone 7. Get it here: http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=c7469572-2950-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Sent from my Windows Phone

3 Posts

May 13th, 2011 12:00

Thanks, I'll try this and see if it makes a difference. I have a 16G that I did replace the card in because of constant lockups that manifest themselves as a Bing screen that won't go away. This seems to happen randomly, although after the first time of the day it happens with increasing frequency until I turn it off and recharge overnight.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2011 06:00

If You can be so kind and help me with THIS problem: I bought the phone with lock and wallpaper password (the seller keeps saying thtat knows nothing about it - I don't belive him - somebody had to set this password.) I cant find the way to reset this password to use the phone normally .

When i pull out 8GB original SD card out (SANDISK CLASS 4)- phone starts normally and doesn't ask about password. When i put the card in again -phone is locked again and what is more showing info that next possible try to enter the password is after 1690 minutes!!! I put in  another SD card from my HTC HD2 (SAN DISK 8GB , CLASS 2) and have made a phone reset (trough menu).Than i made the reset witht pulling out battery during the screen turnes black during restart. It didn't help - the phone doesn't see this card and shows only 15,7 MB of space. Mybe I should buy another new SD card and try again with this one...? Any ideas? I dont what to do...Thanks

9 Posts

May 17th, 2011 17:00

Unchecked "Notify me when new networks are found" in the WIFI Settings, none of the DVP's I manage have locked up since.

Unchecking this in the wifi settings has not had any effect on my Venue Pro. It still locks up very frequently when connected to a wifi network. Did anyone else have any success by turning off this setting?

12 Posts

May 17th, 2011 20:00

It did NOT help mine either...

2 Posts

May 19th, 2011 06:00

Take note of the firmware version. I lost my first Venue Pro that I got back in March. I just received my new unlocked one. I haven't had one issue. The previous phone I had to reboot at least once a day.

Phone
   Model: DELL Venue Pro
   Time: Thursday, May 19, 2011 ● 8:33:44 AM
   Time zone: UTC-05
   Turned on since: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 ● 4:10:26 PM
   Operating time: 16 hours, 23 minutes and 17 seconds
   Screen resolution: 480 x 800
   Display language: English (United States)
   Region format: English (United States)
   OS version: 7.0.7392
   .NET CLR version: 3.7.10302.0
   Firmware version: 2250.1800.7355.210
   Hardware version: 112.576.2.0
   Device ID: b34470ea-8a7e7a5c-8d4322e3-62697ad9-bc2506d9
   Live ID:

Storage
   Total memory: 480.77 MB
   Available storage: 8.98 GB
   Number of songs: 852
   Number of pictures: 40
   Pictures size: 3.95 MB

3 Posts

May 24th, 2011 12:00

Interesting - newer phones have an updated firmware version that they have not released to existing customers?

18 Posts

May 24th, 2011 15:00

Dell Venue Pro users are in need of a definitive and meaningful response NOW.

The problems are clearly prolific and well discussed on other technical sites. I'm not confident having had posts removed myself for reasons unclear to me (yes I have read the t's and c's) that this forum is a good litmus for how badly affected the userbase is or indeed how strongly people feel.

I personally will be lodging my concerns with Dell via their support lines and escalating where possible to whatever complaints mechanism they have, it seems the only recourse I have for now. If this doesn't succeed I'll be seeking advice on my rights as a consumer and the products inability to be fit for purpose.

I would encourage anyone who similarly feels strongly about being parted from a significant amount of money for a device that does not enjoy the service I'd expect and have indeed experienced from similarly priced competitors devices. Hopefully a significant number of voices and escalations might have an impact and garner some form of meaningful response.

Sincerely hoping everyone who can and hasn't already speaks up.

No Events found!