Snake683
1 Copper

Re: Dell Venue Pro crashing

Had mine since the 22nd.  The only casualty was the "Newsroom" app so far.  It boots and then spins off.  It might be a subscription thing, but there is no indication either way.  The back of the phone did get noticeably warm, but that has now dissipated.  Overall, it has been smooth sailing after loading maybe 20 free apps.  I marvel at this phone as it sits next to my antiquated Crackberry Curve.  So long Sprint!   

0 Kudos
cb55555
1 Nickel

Regardless of whether or not it's related to overheating, it still seems like it's a problem isolated to specific units that might have build issues. You could just throw up your arms and just ask for a replacement immediately, but the rest of us not currently seeing the problem would appreciate it if you could provide us a little more detail so that we might try to replicate the problem. Only then will we know if there's a design flaw that affects all units. By helping us get some peace of mind, you could also stand to save yourself some time by not having to try out a replacement unit and just buying something else. Having said that, could you provide us some information that might be useful to us? For example:

1. How much free storage space that you have.

2. How many apps you have pinned to the start menu (i.e. # of live tiles).

3. Details about your contacts: # of contacts, how they are syncing (ie. Exchange vs. Windows Live vs. Outlook), etc.

4. Details about your email accounts.

a. Type of account: Exchange, POP, Outlook, etc.

b. Synchronization interval setting

5. Anything else that might be useful.

0 Kudos
cb55555
1 Nickel

Okay. I found a way to lock up the phone with almost 100% reproduceability (at least on my unit):

1. Load some music (MP3 files) using Zune desktop.

2. Goto Music + Videos and play a song.

3. Hit the Windows button to go the start screen.

4. Launch Internet Explorer.

5. Navigate to a site like http://www.engadget.com and browse around. I have my browser set to load desktop versions of web pages, BTW.

6. After a minute or two, the screen will freeze up or go black. Long pressing the power will sometimes power down the phone, but one time I had to pull the battery.

0 Kudos
Yelpy
1 Nickel

Ok so I got the phone yesterday and yes it locked up last night on my like almost 10 times, but I've been using it all day today and it's fine. Now, for me, I really think it has to do with the fact that I was downloading/installing something that was quite large and this was going on in the background while I was navigating the marketplace and other areas of the phone. The fact that I had something trying to install/download in the background seems to have made the phone more prone to crashing. I didn't realize that what I was downloading was so big and was ongoing in the background. I only noticed that today it hadn't worked correctly as the phone had crashed and I had restarted the phone several times.

So in short, for me anyway, the phone seems to crash if you're downloading/installing something large from the marketplace while doing other things with the phone.

Also another note, I never had to unplug the battery to restart the device, if you hold the power button down for about 7secs (give or take) the phone will turn off and then just hold it again to turn it back on.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem, I don't wanna have to return this phone because i actually love it but of course crashing 10 times in the space of an hour is completely unacceptable no matter what so i hope this is resolved soon.

Also how do I check the amount of ram on the phone, if it's not 512 like advertised I will be very annoyed. Lying to people is bad business! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Silvergun360
1 Nickel

Do you work for Dell CB5555? Just curious...lol

Anyway, yes I can be very specific as to which apps eventually showed up as blank blue boxes on my home screen.

Both the "AP News" and "Weather Chanel" apps had this problem.

Over time the tiles just showed up as blank blue boxes. The weather channel app displays temperature and location data, and the AP News app will pull a random image for the current day's headlines. When I owned the HD7 both these apps had no issues, but while using the Venue Pro both tiles eventually became static, and then just displayed a blue box with no information in the tile at all. I should also mention that I did not go over the limit of 15 live tiles during my use, not even half of that.  

I was hoping that the crashing issue was just isolated to a few xbox live games not being able to be installed properly, but last night the phone just crashed randomly while checking Facebook contacts. It will stall, and when you push the windows button to return to the home screen the home screen is just frozen...waited a few minutes, and eventually had to take the battery out.

Just sent the phone back today, so I’m going to see if the replacement pans out, but I am just a tad weary at this point.

0 Kudos
cb55555
1 Nickel

False alarm. It's not 100% of the time. I was able to get it to lock up within minutes of launching the browser 3 straight times. I reproduced it one more time, but it too much longer. Now it can't reproduce it anymore, and I've had songs playing for about half an hour now.

I also played around with the camera during this time as well. I did find a problem with that though, which I'll report in another message.

0 Kudos
peekb123
1 Nickel

I'm not throwing up my hands and requesting a new unit.  I'm trying to see who else has this issue or if it's just me.  After calling support, they offered an exchange, so exchange it is.  I just don't expect it to help considering there are other people here experiencing the exact same issue I am.  An exchanged phone at this point is likely going to come from the same batch of manufactured phones, so if it is a defect, the new one will be defective too.  I hope to be proven wrong, but given the circumstances of delays and other launch snafus with this phone, I'm not overly confident in the process right now.

Anyway, here's answers to your questions since you asked:

1) I had it lock up during the initial setup process of doing email/facebook/etc.  So I had 100% free storage space save for what was used by the OS itself.

2) 0 apps pinned during my first 2 lockups, 1 or 2 pinned now.

3) Again, first two locks occurred even before I had contacts or email accounts finalized...it was during their their setup that I saw the first problems.  I now have around 80 via 3 Exchange accouns.

4) All Exchange, all push.

5) It locks up when dealing with network activity and/or storage, hence all the complaints and related stories of people browsing the web and/or installing a marketplace app and it freezing.

During the initial setup process for email, Facebook, etc. it's doing a heavy amount of network and storage activity so it's no surprise I saw it lock twice during that process after taking the phone straight out of the box.

I can't perfectly replicate the issue into a series of steps.  As close as I can get is "download something large from the marketplace and then either browse with IE or just use the phone" and sometimes it will freeze hard.

I can't go into details due to NDAs and whatnot, and probably shouldn't even say the following, but I've been using WP7 for close to a year now across several prototype and retail devices, and not a single device has behaved in this manner.  Given that we're seeing at least 4 or 5 other people here with similar issues, it would seem that this is not an isolated incident with the DVP, but an isolated incident in that it seems to ONLY happen with this phone.  Anyone heard of other retail devices behaving like this?

Better yet, anyone out there using a DVP, downloading marketplace apps, multitasking with other applications, and NOT seeing any lockups?

0 Kudos
bryanj26
1 Nickel

I'm also noticing my crashes seem to happen most often when I'm downloading larger files from the Marketplace. Xbox Live games in particular seem to have a tough time installing without locking up the phone. Smaller apps - no problem. No idea, and I'm grasping here, but could that also be related to this 256MB thing?

I noticed another comment on white noise with headphones - I have the same issue there. Partly I just assumed since I was using a phone for my music device now instead of my Zune HD, the sound quality was bound to be worse.

0 Kudos
tikurahul
1 Nickel

I don't think this issue has anything to do with the OS itself. It's more a phone issue. The moment I turned off the WiFi my phone has been extremely stable and is performing quite well.

What i would like also to understand is why i have only 225 MB of RAM when it has advertised to have 512 MB of RAM. Is this a production issue, in which case i could get it replaced? If not, i have no option but to return the phone. 225 MB of RAM is just un-acceptable after we were told repeatedly that this would have 512 MB of RAM. Also, dell.com has now conspicuously removed all information pertaining to the phone's RAM. 

This does not bode well for those of us who bought the phone.

0 Kudos
efjay01
1 Nickel

Its looking like having wifi enabled is causing crashes, I've used the DVP for 2 days without issue, and after enabling wifi to test the theory as suggested by another user I experienced 2 complete lockups within 30 minutes. With wifi disabled, I was able to use the phone without issue. Please test your device with wifi on and off and see what happens; if the issue is wifi we need to confirm it and make dell aware.

0 Kudos