Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2016 01:00

Dell VenuePro 8 Tablet - stuck at welcome screen

Dell venue pro 8 tablet

Windows 10  OS

It's about 2 years old. And it was working fine (except for the poor wifi reception). But 3 days ago I noticed the battery runs out of charge overnight, on sleep mode. Noticed it three nights in a row and checked the web for solution. Many said the drivers maybe old and in need of updating.

After updating some drivers that were old, it asked for reboot. So I did.

But now, it is stuck at welcome screen (where only the date and time and the wifi icon) are shown.

It doesn't recognize swipes. Either at the center of edges or corners.

It is also stuck in the vertical mode and does not rotate to landscape mode.

So now because it doesn't  recognize touch, I can't get into the system to do anything.

***, I'm ready for a factory reset even. But without getting inside, I don't know how

Please help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest that you restart the system (tablet) by holding the power button.Once it restarts check if the same issue happens.

In case the same issue happens try the following :

old Power-Button 10 seconds to shut off Dell Venue 8 Pro

Push and hold Power-Button and then push and hold Windows-Button

-- Dell Logo appear.

Release Power-Button

Release Windows-Button

-- Options appear on the bottom of the screen: F2/Volume-Down = Setup. F12/Volume-Up = Boot option. .

Push Volume-Down-Button = Setup

-- It trys auto repair, but it cant find a fix

Tap on:Advance options

-- Youll get the options to reboot,use a device, trouble shoot,or turn off pc,

Taped on: trouble shoot

Selected to option "Refresh your pc"

Kindly let us know if this works.

Thanks

Robin

13 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 11:00

Thanks Robin

I tried the first option. And got into the setup utility page.

But I don't see any "auto repair" option. Nor any "troubleshoot".

Tried the other tabs like advanced,  boot, ... but no repair or troubleshooting

Under boot tab, I got

Fast boot. (Disabled)

Secure boot.  (Enabled)

And under boot option priorities,  

"Boot option #1.     (Windows boot manager)

Any of these useful to try?

However at the bottom I found f9: load defaults

I guess this resets the tablet to factory settings. Right? Let's keep this as  my last option.

13 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 11:00

Btw, I took some screen shots of all the abovementioned pages. But here I don't see any option to post pictures on this forum.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 26th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Kindly follow the steps below .

1. Press the Volume down + power button to boot into droidboot mode. (you would see the Dell Logo and then the Droidboot screen)."

2. Use Volume down to select the third option and press power button to boot into recovery mode."

3. In recovery mode, press the Power button + Volume up to display recovery mode menu. (NO Command has been removed in latest Droidboot 9.67)"

4. In recovery mode use Volume down to select the wipe data/factory reset option and press power button."

5. After Reset has been completed use Volume button to select reboot system now option and press power button to reboot system top option."

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks

Robin

13 Posts

September 26th, 2016 15:00

Thanks Robin

I think I figured out what is wrong with the tablet. It's TOUCH capabilities or sensitivity is disabled somehow.

Yesterday I tried the boot opions, and didn't get anywherefinally I tried the factory reset. It was going well and the familiar blue screen with the reset message came on and it was going through the % until it reached mid 80s when it just blinked and restarted itself.

Which brought me back to my customized welcome screen.

I guess it failed to wipe or rewrite and went back to the last settings

A couple of other  tries finally got me to the factory settings initial screens. So it worked itself to the screen where we have to actually choose the language, region, time zone ... (Hi there, let's get a few basic. ..."). So I was happy I can have my tablet back, even if the files and apps are lost.

But ...

Here no matter where I touch,  any of the drop down lists (coujtry, language, ...), or even the next box, nothing happens!

I can only assume somehow the touch sensitivity is disabled.

As I'm writing tjis, the same thing has happened. And after about 10 minutes or so the screen goes dark grey (not black or dark as in a shut screen. You can see the tablet is on but with a dark grey screen with nothing on it)

It happened yesterday too, right at this stage.

But why? If it is reverting to the factory settings, meaning windows 8, then the touch settings or whatever that's happened to its settings should revert too.

Any ideas?

13 Posts

September 26th, 2016 15:00

A few minutes later, after giving up. I try to disconnect the charging cable and catch my flight.

As soon as I pull out the cable, the blue screen with country, language, ... comes on.

But still unresponsive to touch.

After a few seconds, the dark grey screen comes back.

I put the cable in and he blue comes on. Only for some.seconds before the dArk grey appears again (I guess the dark grey must be the screen associated with fading battery  as the light next to the charging port turns orange, indicating low charge)

While the blue screen is on (for those few seconds), I try the windows button, volume up and down, ... . But nothing happens. Again the dark grey screen.

Very weird!

So now I press the power button for 10 sec. And it shuts off.

Then I press power again. Dell logo. Followed by the blue (Hi there. Let's. ....) comes on. But still unresponsive to touch!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 27th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

We would suggest when you reach the screen that you can check if volume button can be used to toggle .

Also private message the service tag and email address .

Thanks

Robin

13 Posts

October 4th, 2016 06:00

Sorry for the delay Robin. Had travels to a country that had filtered some internet sites and somehow this forum also was made inaccessible.

Anyway,  I just wanted to correct my last post about the touch issue. When in, I assume, the droidboot page (the one with tabs like advanced, boot, ...), actually the screen IS responsive to touch, and I can use the keyboard icon (top right box) or other options on the screen and up/down scrolling.

But once I choose an option and save it and reboot, as soon as the welcome screen appears or the couple of times it reached the reset screen where we re to choose the country, region, ..., then it becomes unresponsive to touch!!

So in my uneducated mind, somehow something happens during normal boot that makes it unresponsive.

13 Posts

October 6th, 2016 00:00

Btw, I have already sent you the details you wanted, in a private message.

ThNks

13 Posts

October 11th, 2016 22:00

Hello?

Just to clarify, the problem has NOT been solved.

13 Posts

October 21st, 2016 17:00

Why is this case dropped? My problem still persists!

6 Posts

March 29th, 2017 15:00

I have exactly the same problem but still looking for a solution to the blue welcome screen which is touch unresponsive.

September 20th, 2018 11:00

hello,

so what is the fix for this problem. I am giving my tablet to a friend and tried to restore it to factory settings but now the touch screen does not work, i am at the part where I have to set up the region, language, etc. thanks

1 Message

December 26th, 2018 05:00

please help as i too have same problem
No Events found!