Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 05:00

Dell venue 11 pro I3 (7130/7139) Screen locks up/freezes

Hi 

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro I3, it is almost working great after i got all the latest updates, Bios, drivers etc.

But from time to time the screen freezes, it seems it only freezes when im touching the screen or using the keyboard on it(slim keyboard with trackpad) .

Some times the screen only freezes a couple of seconds, other times i have to put it to sleep(power button) and wake it up again before the screen responds.

I know that this is a screen update issue, the tablet responds to touches, keyboard typing or the trackpad when the screen is frozen.

How do i know this when i cant see movements on the screen ? I can see when i wake the tablet up after a freeze all the changes i made, for example typings,  changing websites. And sounds when i get error sounds when i get to the end of a page etc. The sounds comes while the screen is frozen.

Do any one have an idea of how i can solve the screen freeze that would be amazing :) 

I have seen other posts but non of them are recent ( a month or two old)

Thanks in advance :)

12 Posts

April 21st, 2014 17:00

On my tablet, this issue was most caused by the Panel Self Refresh. Download the Intel drivers from the support page and install them if you haven't done so already. Then, go to Start->All Apps->Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. Click on "Power", then click "Off" next to Panel Self-Refresh.

April 22nd, 2014 09:00

I am able to confirm that after disabling panel refresh, I also see an improvement.  I have not had the device screen freeze in a few days now!

828 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 21:00

Please disable panel self refresh for now.   We'll have a new firmware available soon to update the panel that should resolve this once and for all.

April 19th, 2014 20:00

I have the exact same issue and have been seeking answers for 2 months now.. an official response from dell would be great

13 Posts

April 19th, 2014 21:00

I also have this issue. Dell, why no word from you???!!!

May 21st, 2014 19:00

Steven, this is what I posted to Dell today after Denise's post.

Dell, I have been watching these posts for months now. I am fortunate not to have made this fatal purchase. Thanks to the O'harra's and others' posts, I chose to oobservehow you handled your customers. HORRIBLY!! Just in case you haven't noticed or read any of the computer forums, this guy O'Harra is a serious computer, tablet user and extremely sharp IT guy. Your customers should NOT be your source of testers, nor should they suffer the financial burden for YOUR DEFECTIVE product!! 

This is a horrible way to treat customers. Take their money, use them as guinea pigs for your defective product, then screw them out of their money!!  WAY TO GO MICHAEL DELL!!!

1 Message

I was one of the first to order the Top-of-the-Line Dell Venue 11 Pro 128GB -i5 tablets.

I am a retired IT guy of some 30 years in the industry and was once a staunch Dell consumer.

After months of patches, re-flashing the BIOS, trying every permutation of registry modifications I finally got Dell to send out a "technician" that struggled to get the unit apart and after replacing the motherboard assembly, went from bad to impossible. The unit would no longer power up without several attempts and when it finally did, the technician could only shut it down by removing the battery. I was without words (certainly ones I'd want published). As he left, he said that if it was his, he would press hard for a full refund given their track record.

Months of emails, PM's (Dell did not want this on their site, naturally), we finally reached a rep at Dell that said thousands of these things have already been shipped and Dell is no closer to knowing what to do about the problem. Weeks later, Dell approved a full refund and sent us the shipping labels to return the tablet, keyboard/battery unit and stylus for a full refund. He said that Dell had stopped shipping the units for a couple of months while their engineers figured out what to do.

Dell acknowledged receipt of the as-new (other than defective-USED motherboard), stylus and keyboard/battery unit on May 5, 2014.

Today after several more hours being transferred, put on hold, being disconnected, we were told that Dell had acknowledged receipt of all goods and closed the case; that they had processed the refund but did not have any record of us wanting our money back and so, all equipment in hand, unilaterally decided to close the case. After fruitless discussion, we had no choice but to open a "New" case to look into what happened to our refund.... (of course, again told how valuable a customer we were and that we should expect to hear back from someone (India of course) in the next week or two.

Are you kidding?  Dell knows what a fiasco this 7139 Dell Venue 11 Pro is (look at all the forum traffic!).

Dell is unwilling to take the "hit" on this so it is okay to force the consumer to take the hit?

I Want My Money Returned. Not in one "more", not in two "more" not in ANY "more" weeks!!!

LOOK AT THE FORUMS!!!  Everyone that (sadly) is in the Dell Venue 11 Pro 713x series is WELL aware of the many MONTHS this has been going on.

After MONTHS of ridiculous BIOS updates, registry tweaks, turn-off-feature tweaks and other unfruitfull patches,... I for one WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!  Google dell venue 11 and o'harra or better still, look at the now over 6 MONTHS of users calling for Dell to make them whole.

I don't want ANY more USED "refurbished", "remanufactured" or otherwise same-unit-sent-back "fixes".

I EXPECT my money to be returned. NOW!!!

October 12th, 2014 05:00

Good day,

I have the same problem  and in order to avoid mistakes during disabling the panel self refresh would you please tell me step by step how to do it?

thank you in advance for your kind help.

14 Posts

December 11th, 2014 03:00

Hi Brian B

Has the update been issued? I have just bought a dell venue 11 pro and have the same issues even after updates.

I will try this manually for now though

1 Message

January 14th, 2015 03:00

When something is too good to be true, it probably is. I found this amazing price point for the 256gb 7139 device on dell outlet and gave it a go. The unit is extremely buggy. I am just thinking if at all any testing us performed before shipping refurbished items. The unit is slow, noisy, laggy and wouldnt download or install updates! I am going to use my IT skills to sort it out which essentially reaffirms your point that dell is using customers as testers but to be fair I kinda knew this would happen. So another week. If I cant fix it it will go back to them. Thanks for sharing your experience.

No Events found!