Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2013 04:00

Dell venue 8 pro usb issue or wrong otg cable?

Just bought this bad boy and I have 2 Motorola otg cables I bought when I had the first xoom.  Anyone know the pinout for the otg cable that works?  I am wondering if the Motorola cable is pin switched and that is why it won't read a flash drive.  Unless there is a setting I don't know about?  Thanks!

1 Message

January 2nd, 2014 06:00

I can't answer your question just now, but I had the same issue.  I used an OTG cable I already had and it doesn't work.  I went online and ordered a cable that others have ordered for the Venue 8 Pro with success.  I will let you know if this works when it arrives.

January 2nd, 2014 08:00

Hello Igraves1107 and Xufa Pemu,

The Venue 8 Pro tablet comes with only one micro-USB 2.0 port, which is a charge and connect device combo port. This USB port does not allow the user to connect the tablet to a computer directly. A micro-USB OTG (On The Go) cable is needed to connect any USB devices to the tablet, including mouse, keyboard or storage device for data transfer.  Here is a link to an example of this OTG cable: http://dell.to/1lCvTGS
I hope this helps.  Let me know if you need further info.
~Maureen
#iwork4dell

January 2nd, 2014 08:00

I ordered some cheap ones off amazon and they work fine. The ones I had are not for regular otg devices.

January 2nd, 2014 11:00

Awesome!  Glad you were able to resolve the issue with the proper cables.

Let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with.

~Maureen

#iwork4dell

480 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 16:00

I picked up a short OTG cable at Fry's today for $3.99 today.  It works.  I was able to use it to create a recovery drive on an old 256 meg thumb drive.

While in the store, I tried out some other brand tablets.  Non had the touch repeating issue, not even if I held down key. Hope that gets fixed soon!

1 Message

January 2nd, 2014 22:00

Maureen, how about a cable to VGA digital projectors?

1 Message

January 4th, 2014 07:00

check out plugable.com for this type of stuff. I just purchased a docking station from them and it allows connections to my monitor ,keyboard,network,mouse and speakers all off of the Venue Pro8. There is a video on YouTube showing it in action.

January 12th, 2014 14:00

Be very very careful. See this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19533276/20493598.aspx

March 1st, 2014 10:00

Maureen...can you recommend a micro to usb male otg cable?  I want to connect my tablet to my home computer.  Thanks!

480 Posts

March 1st, 2014 11:00

FWIW, from what I've read, there is no point in connecting the tablet to another computer, I'm pretty sure that I've read that the computer will not see the tablet as storage.

That said, I haven't seen an OTG cable with a male A plug, but that can be accomplished by plugging a double male adapter into the OTG cable, or USB cable with male connectors on both ends.

March 1st, 2014 12:00

I do have a micro male to usb female OTG 4" long adapter which I use with a data stick and it works fine.  I tried connecting the desktop to this adapter with a male-to-male usb 2.0 cable but that did not work.  I wonder if I could connect an external dvd drive to the adapter?  I am able to connect an external hard drive to the tablet this way.

12 Posts

March 4th, 2014 07:00

I was able to use it to create a recovery drive on an old 256 meg thumb drive.

Don't bother, if you boot to that device and try to run the recovery it will stop the process at the beginning and tell you that you have the charger connected in order to perform the recovery.

Wait 256 meg !?.  Are you using the Dell Backup and Recovery?

That's not large enough for either a Reinstall Disk; 4.81GB , or a Bootable Backup which is over 100GB.

Not sure what you did with your thumb drive there.  It won't even let me start the process unless a device is large enough for either.

480 Posts

March 4th, 2014 19:00

[quote user="Jeff Leites"]

I was able to use it to create a recovery drive on an old 256 meg thumb drive.

Don't bother, if you boot to that device and try to run the recovery it will stop the process at the beginning and tell you that you have the charger connected in order to perform the recovery.

Wait 256 meg !?.  Are you using the Dell Backup and Recovery?

That's not large enough for either a Reinstall Disk; 4.81GB , or a Bootable Backup which is over 100GB.

Not sure what you did with your thumb drive there.  It won't even let me start the process unless a device is large enough for either.

[/quote]

I was referring to a Basic Microsoft Recovery Drive, not the Dell Backup and Recovery.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2014 15:00

I have a Dell Venue 8 pro as well and I have an OTG cable for it. The cable has worked before and still works on my phone but not on my venue 8.  Are there any settings that might have changed this.

March 16th, 2014 15:00

Maybe you did what so many other people have done and plugged it in upside down? It's easy to do. What happens is the pins get bent and then the connector only fits upside down. If this is true, you can bend the pins back with a toothpick but the plastic pins will have been weakened. This ours a terrible design flaw from Dell.

No Events found!