Trying to consolidate all of the dock video threads into a single one. This will help me to gather information on what is and is not working out there and get it to engineering to resolve. I'll edit this first post to keep everything updated in one place. This should make it much easier to find information going forward.
Steps to take before reporting an issue:
1) Check the revision on your dock. If you look at the bottom of the dock, you will see a variety of labels. The PPID label is on the right side of the group of labels and will include a revision number at the end. Verify that you have an A01 revision. If you have A00 and if video doesn't work after trying the remaining steps in this guide, contact support and have your A00 replaced with A01.
4) Connect your monitor(s) to the dock. The preferred method is to use straight DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI cables. Dongles will work, but note that DP dongles must be "active". DP++ dongles (non-active) will not work with this docking station. Passive HDMI dongles are OK. Use good quality cables and dongles. Monitors should be HDCP compliant.
5) Turn monitors on and set up external video either via the Intel graphics driver options or via WIndows Devices/Project option. The 5130 will support the LCD + one external display (two displays can mirror content if desired). The 713x will support the LCD + two external displays (each displaying unique content). The 713x will support daily chained DP 1.2 monitors. Dual external monitors can run at FHD (1920) and a single external monitor via DP can support 2560.
6) At this point, your external monitor should be working. If it is not, a couple of additional troubleshooting steps to take follow.
6.1) Remove and reinsert monitor cable to dock.
6.2) Make sure dock power is good (LED at front of dock should always be on when good power is present)
6.3) Make sure that monitor has correct input source selected and that cabling is routed to correct ports.
6.4) Undock and redock tablet to see if any change occurs.
6.5) For the 713x tablets, try rolling back to the A00 video driver 3316 to see if this makes any difference.
7) If external video is still not working as you expect it to, please post to this thread with the following information.
7.1) Confirmation that you have tried the above steps and that you do indeed have an A01 dock.
7.2) Brand and model number of your monitor(s).
7.3) Setup information (e.g. how is everything connected)
7.4) If using dongles, brand and model number of dongle if known
7.5) Specific problem(s) you are seeing.
Watch for updates to this thread as information develops. I'll be updating below tables fairly frequently - I need to dig up the test reports and add all of that information here soon.
List of monitors confirmed to function:
P2213 (DP, DVI)
List of monitors reported to have issues:
U2312 (DP to DP) - No video sync with 3412, seems to work with 3316.
U2412M same issue as U2312
ST2220L (HDMI to HDMI) - Not detected after dock power removed/reinserted. Workaround is to remove HDMI and dock power, plug in power first and then HDMI.
ST2340t (HDMI to HDMI with USB 3.0 touch) - Tablet thinks monitor is USB after suspend/resume
Acer G246HL - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle), another where monitor doesn't work at all.
Dell E198FPf - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle).
NEC LCD17V-BK - - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle).
Viewsonic VA702b - - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle).
Acer AL1716 - - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle).
E2209Wc - Works via HDMI but not via DP
AOC E2450SWH - HDMI works fine, DP to HDMI (Astrotek AT-DPHDMI-MF Active) flickers. DP to VGA (Comsol DP-VG-AD) flickers. Persistence issues.
Dell P2314H - DP to DP - long delay, doesn't work at all or flicker.
Dell P2314H - DP to DP - long delay for DP monitor to come up after HDMI is working. Ok with monitor power management disabled.
E2209Wc - DP to DVI shows up in displayport topology but monitor won't work.
Dell P2414H - DP only works 10% of the time
Dell P2210 - DP only works 10% of the time
Dell P2210f, 2210t, 2210Hc - Don't work DP to DP
Dell E220Wf - Won't work DP to DVI
Dell 2009Wt - Won't work DP to DVI
Dell 2213 - Some work some don't?
Dell U2413 - No video via active DP to HDMI adapter, works fine with straight DP
Dell 2414Hb & Dell 2009Wt - DP to DP - failure to redetect after dock cycle, only mirrors, won't extend.
HP LA1951g - Flickering when using VGA, OK with HDMI to DVI
P2210f - OK with DP to DP, problematic otherwise.
Dell U2412m - doesn't work with DP
Dell S2240M - Doesn't work with DP to DVI active adapter
P2314H - DP to DP fails to reconnect after sleep cycle
List of dongles confirmed to function:
Bizlink Dual Link DP to DVI Adapter (sold out for now)
List of dongles confirmed to have issues:
Any DP++ (passive) dongle - dock does not support DP++ (passive) DP dongles.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I have dock A01
Video driver 10.18.10.3496
The Dell U2412M monitor connected DP -> DP doesn't work. Windows sees the display as turned on and extended to it, but the screen is just black.
The Viewsonic monitor connected to the HDMI port works fine as it always has.
I didn't try rolling back the video driver again. I did this before and it solved the problem until I rebooted the computer. Then it was impossible to get it to work again. So I'm not going to go through that again.
I tested the S2220T Dell monitor (Touchscreen) and the display is working BUT the touch functionnality aint working. Using HDMI to HDMI cable with latest screen drivers.
I just installed the 10.18.10.3496, A02 Video driver and I still see a big delay for the monitor connected to the DP port. The times below are how long it took for the DP monitor to display after the HDMI monitor.
Power on from shutdown - 24 sec
Hot plug, place onto dock - 51 sec
from sleep - 3 sec
wake up monitors from "Turn off the display" power state - 9 sec
Dock - A00
Venue vPro 7130 8/256, rev A00, BIOS A11
DP to DP Monitor Dell P2314H
HDMI to DVI Monitor Dell S2409W
The 3316 driver works well except I have to set "Turn off the display" Power option to Never, because sometimes the Venue will stop recognizing the two external monitors connected to the dock. From what I could tell from the short time I used the 3496 driver is it seems to work with the Power option "Turn off the display" and keeps the displays configured, but has a big delay time for the DPmonitor when coming back on.
Home: Venue 11 vPro 7130 A01, Inspiron 3521, XPS 8700, PowerEdge T110
Work: OptiPlex 9010, PowerEdge 2950, R710, R720, R730
Dell 7130 A11
HDMI to DVI works fine on both monitors
DP to DVI will show up in DisplayPort topolgy but doesn't detect monitor. Have tried both drivers with same results. Have one straight DP to DVI cable and then another I've also tried a DP to DVI adapter not sure of the model but had the same results with both.