Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2014 17:00

Dock external video troubleshooting and single thread

Trying to consolidate all of the dock video threads into a single one.  This will help me to gather information on what is and is not working out there and get it to engineering to resolve.    I'll edit this first post to keep everything updated in one place.  This should make it much easier to find information going forward.

Steps to take before reporting an issue:

1) Check the revision on your dock.   If you look at the bottom of the dock, you will see a variety of labels.   The PPID label is on the right side of the group of labels and will include a revision number at the end.   Verify that you have an A01 revision.   If you have A00 and if video doesn't work after trying the remaining steps in this guide, contact support and have your A00 replaced with A01.

2) Be sure to update your device to the latest BIOS (currently A11 for the 713x and A07 for the 5130).  For the 713x, select the appropriate version for your product.

3) Update to the latest video driver.   This is currently 3496 for the 713x and 3366 for the 5130 (note that 5130 driver is bundled in the A06 chipset driver).

4) Connect your monitor(s) to the dock.   The preferred method is to use straight DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI cables.   Dongles will work, but note that DP dongles must be "active".   DP++ dongles (non-active) will not work with this docking station.   Passive HDMI dongles are OK.   Use good quality cables and dongles.   Monitors should be HDCP compliant.

5) Turn monitors on and set up external video either via the Intel graphics driver options or via WIndows Devices/Project option.   The 5130 will support the LCD + one external display (two displays can mirror content if desired).  The 713x will support the LCD + two external displays (each displaying unique content).  The 713x will support daily chained DP 1.2 monitors.  Dual external monitors can run at FHD (1920) and a single external monitor via DP can support 2560.

6) At this point, your external monitor should be working.   If it is not, a couple of additional troubleshooting steps to take follow.

6.1) Remove and reinsert monitor cable to dock.

6.2) Make sure dock power is good (LED at front of dock should always be on when good power is present)

6.3) Make sure that monitor has correct input source selected and that cabling is routed to correct ports.

6.4) Undock and redock tablet to see if any change occurs.

6.5) For the 713x tablets, try rolling back to the A00 video driver 3316 to see if this makes any difference.

7) If external video is still not working as you expect it to, please post to this thread with the following information.

7.1) Confirmation that you have tried the above steps and that you do indeed have an A01 dock.

7.2) Brand and model number of your monitor(s).

7.3) Setup information (e.g. how is everything connected)

7.4) If using dongles, brand and model number of dongle if known

7.5) Specific problem(s) you are seeing.

Watch for updates to this thread as information develops.   I'll be updating below tables fairly frequently - I need to dig up the test reports and add all of that information here soon.

List of monitors confirmed to function:

1907WPc (DVI)
2007WFPb (DVI)
2407WFP (DVI)
E248WFPb (DVI)|
P2213 (DP, DVI)
SP2208WFPt (DP/DVI)
U2410 (DP/HDMI/DVI)
U2413 (DP)
U2711 (DP/HDMI/DVI)
U3011

List of monitors reported to have issues:

U2312 (DP to DP) - No video sync with 3412, seems to work with 3316.
U2412M same issue as U2312
ST2220L (HDMI to HDMI) - Not detected after dock power removed/reinserted.   Workaround is to remove HDMI and dock power, plug in power first and then HDMI.
ST2340t (HDMI to HDMI with USB 3.0 touch) - Tablet thinks monitor is USB after suspend/resume

Acer G246HL - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle), another where monitor doesn't work at all.

Dell E198FPf - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle). 

NEC LCD17V-BK -  - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle). 

Viewsonic VA702b -  - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle). 

Acer AL1716 -  - DP flickers/image doesn't fill screen (with Cable Matters active DP dongle).  

E2209Wc - Works via HDMI but not via DP

AOC E2450SWH - HDMI works fine, DP to HDMI (Astrotek AT-DPHDMI-MF Active) flickers.  DP to VGA (Comsol DP-VG-AD) flickers.   Persistence issues.

Dell P2314H - DP to DP - long delay, doesn't work at all or flicker.

Dell P2314H - DP to DP - long delay for DP monitor to come up after HDMI is working.   Ok with monitor power management disabled.

E2209Wc - DP to DVI shows up in displayport topology but monitor won't work.

Dell P2414H - DP only works 10% of the time

Dell P2210 - DP only works 10% of the time

Dell P2210f, 2210t, 2210Hc - Don't work DP to DP

Dell E220Wf - Won't work DP to DVI

Dell 2009Wt - Won't work DP to DVI

Dell 2213 - Some work some don't?

Dell U2413 - No video via active DP to HDMI adapter, works fine with straight DP

Dell 2414Hb & Dell 2009Wt - DP to DP - failure to redetect after dock cycle, only mirrors, won't extend.

HP LA1951g - Flickering when using VGA, OK with HDMI to DVI

P2210f - OK with DP to DP, problematic otherwise.

Dell U2412m - doesn't work with DP

Dell S2240M - Doesn't work with DP to DVI active adapter

P2314H - DP to DP fails to reconnect after sleep cycle

List of dongles confirmed to function:

Cable Matters Gold Plated Active DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter (tested on 7130)

Cable Matters Gold Plated Active DisplayPort to DVI Male to Female Adapter (tested on 7130)

Bizlink Dual Link DP to DVI Adapter (sold out for now)

List of dongles confirmed to have issues:

Any DP++ (passive) dongle - dock does not support DP++ (passive) DP dongles.

Thanks!

4 Posts

May 5th, 2014 12:00

Brian,

I am trying to determine the possibility of have two external monitors (and not using the tablet display while docked) connected to the dock and therefore having dual monitors?

Is that possible with the dock at this point (I was sold on that capability)?  It doesn't say anywhere on the dock label Revision but the box does have an A01 at the end of the model number (CN-0MPT52-74431-43L-0010 A01).

I don't mind purchasing the correct adaptors as long as the dock I have will support dual simultaneous external monitors.

Thanks.

Randy.

4 Posts

How do you have them hooked up?  One connection to the HDMI and the other through the DP?

I am not able to find the U2410 monitors on Dell's site.  Strange.

67 Posts

Yes it works for that purpose. I use it as well.

U2410 monitors work the best

May 5th, 2014 16:00

Hi Brian, A02 driver update installed. No change. The screen still flickers and turns on and off every 3 or 4 seconds on the screen with the DP to HDMI or VGA adapter. HDMI still working fine. Is this not an issue of the dock providing insufficient power to the active adapter? Thanks. Matt

828 Posts

May 5th, 2014 18:00

We're obviously chasing some DP gremlins here.   I used dual external monitors on a tablet (set up for my work domain) all day on Thursday without any problems.   Looks like the adapters that work for me don't always work for every monitor.   The latest dock is indeed A01.   Our engineers are working closely with the chipset vendor and Intel on this.   Please keep providing detailed information here.   I am compiling this and will get all of the known problems to them to resolve.

May 6th, 2014 06:00

Installed A02 driver still same issue for me when I plug in the monitor to the DP I get a notification about DP topology change but still doesn't detect the monitor.

12 Posts

May 6th, 2014 06:00

FWIW - I've moved to the A02 driver as well and don't have as many problems as I did with the A01 driver with my single DP monitor; it wakes up more or less straight away following a re-dock, although it does seem to take 15 seconds or so to wake up following a reboot. With the much older October 33xx drivers, everything was pretty instant, but with the A01 the DP monitor would take 30 - 60s or more to wake up every time.

May 6th, 2014 08:00

Brian, I have installed the latest video and bios firmware drivers and have a A01 dock. The DP monitor shows up in the windows "Change Screen Resolution" window but if I try to "attach" the monitor it says the display configuration could not be saved at this time. I am using no adapters. Thanks!

7 Posts

May 6th, 2014 08:00

Brian, I updated two of the tablets using the A01 docks to the 10.18.10.3496,A02 driver. The file I used specifically was 7130_Video_Driver_8GXR9_WN_10.18.10.3496_A02.EXE. HDMI has never been an issue. My issue has always been DisplayPort to VGA. The DP to VGA adapters being used are Cable Matters model number 102019-3 which are an active adapter. I have always gotten video to the monitor via the DisplayPort port, regardless of make or model. Prior to the update the issue I experienced was constant flickering on the monitor attached via the DisplayPort connection. After upgrading to the new driver this morning, the flickering has been greatly reduced. It's not completely eliminated, but is certainly less frequent than before. The new driver seems to be a step in the right direction. I want to keep an eye on it the next day or two to make sure it holds.

7 Posts

May 6th, 2014 09:00

After updating earlier this morning and seeing an improvement, the flickering from DP to VGA has returned on both tablets/docks. As the users have progressed in their daily work the flickering has become more persistent. It seems as though the more resource intensive (CPU, memory, etc…) that is being used, the more the flickering occurs. For instance, I can open MS word on the DP to VGA monitor and it doesn't flicker or it flickers quickly and returns to normal. If I open up our practice management software that is very DB intensive and perform a query, the flickering starts and doesn't stop until after the query has completed.

10 Posts

May 8th, 2014 14:00

Any update from the engineers???

Would really like to get some return on the money I spent on this setup.... :emotion-9:

50 Posts

May 8th, 2014 22:00

So I got the new dock in today and have noticed some improvement.  I still have issues with certain videos though.  For example, I tried out Youtube videos at 1080p and everything was smooth as it should be.  Then I tried watching a video at Gamespot.com and I get the choppy video playback with smooth audio playback.  Is it something to do with the difference in video players?

Here's a link to one of the choppy videos.  Just to make sure it's not me, can anyone try to watch it and let me know if you experience the choppy video with smooth audio?  It's noticeable when not in full screen and really bad in full screen.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-watch-dogs-misleading-game-trailers/2300-6418400/

Just to note, I have a 7139 vPro model, with only one monitor connected via direct HDMI.  I'm still happy that Youtube playback has been improved and hopefully the other playback issues will be resolved in the future through patches.  

12 Posts

May 9th, 2014 02:00

@CrazyDan - I've watched the video on my 7130 (non-vPro, with an external monitor connected via DP to the dock) and it was a little stuttery at the beginning, but settled down pretty soon (in other words, the stuttering seemed to be related to the stream, not the video drivers).

50 Posts

May 9th, 2014 23:00

@CrazyDan - I've watched the video on my 7130 (non-vPro, with an external monitor connected via DP to the dock) and it was a little stuttery at the beginning, but settled down pretty soon (in other words, the stuttering seemed to be related to the stream, not the video drivers).

I understand what you're saying, but I don't get how the audio would be uninterrupted while the video is just choppy.  I guess I'll just have to watch the videos through YouTube instead. :(

12 Posts

May 13th, 2014 03:00

Having used the A02 drivers for another week, I have to say that they are definitely not as good as the A00 ones with my DP monitor. After a re-dock it can be a good 30 - 60s before the P2314H monitor comes back on. At least it does eventually work, though (which was not necessarily the case with the A01 driver).
No Events found!