Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2014 11:00

Does Dell Venue 11 support 128GB micro SD cards?

Amazon has the newly released SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Card for $119. Does this work in the Dell Venue Pro 11 or 8? Thanks.

18 Posts

March 26th, 2014 11:00

While i cant garuantee it, I cant see why it shouldnt. Im still using a reader from my 256mb card for the 64gb in my camera :P It prolly wont be as fast as it can be, though

2 Posts

March 26th, 2014 12:00

I have the 128 GB installed in my Venue Pro 8 right now, and so far, so good.  Size is correctly identified, and I've had no read or write errors to the best of my knowledge.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2014 19:00

Hey, sorry to necro-post this but I'm having an issue with my 128GB Micro SD card in my Venue 11 Pro. For the past couple months its worked fine, but now that I'm transferring files over from my old laptop, theve randomly been disappearing after 10-15 minutes and the folders claim to be empty.  The tablet knows its a 128GB card, and everything I've scanned it with shows its functioning properly. 

I've been seeing conflicting information about the max that the Venue 11 Pro can handle is either 64GB or 128GB, depending what article I read. Even on Dell's site it has both numbers. Which is the correct maximum Micro SD card size?

15 Posts

December 16th, 2015 15:00

I have tried 2 different Samsung EVO 128gb micro SD cards in my Venue Pro 11 (i5) - both reacted the same. Sometimes the Venue Pro would boot ok and run ok for a while then suddenly it would lock up - my only recourse is a hard reboot.

Dell's site says it supports this class of micro SD in the Venue Pro's micro SD reader but I have had no success.  I used a SanDisk 64gb for quite a while in the Venue Pro's micro SD reader with no problems.  I now use the Samsung 128gb thru a mini external card reader connected to either the Dell dock or directly to the Venue 11 Pro USB port - no problems running this way.

At this point I am convinced that either the driver is faulty or the Venue Pro micro SD reader is faulty due to the intermittence of the problem.

Anybody else seen this happening.

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 15:00

Well, there are any number of examples on the net and uTube that suggest the 11 Pro 7140 should handle 128Gb. I have just got a new 7140 with a 256Gb SSD, but have not been successful with either 128Gb or 164Gb SD cards. Seems to be OK with a Sandisk 64Gb thoough.

It appears impossible to get a definitive answer on what card size/s/type the 11 Pro can handle.

15 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 17:00

I am also running a Sandisk 64gb. Occasionally it will drop out; not be accessible or show in File Explorer.   I either have to reboot the computer or manually eject the SD card and reseat it.

32 Posts

January 24th, 2016 02:00

i initially bought 128GB off ebay. it kept dropping out and disappearing because it was fake. i then went to box dot co dot uk and ordered a series of genuine cards. i use a kingston 64 now with zero problems. be mindful of fake cards, you can potentially lose your data and experience severe instability 

5 Posts

January 25th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for your note Adimansi.

I had considered that, but all three cards I tried are genuine Sandisk cards. So far I have had a good run with the 64Gb one so despite various comments ont he net, lean towards the real possibility that my Pro cananot handle cards of higher capacity. which is a real bummer :(

15 Posts

January 25th, 2016 15:00

Bummer, couldn't agree more.  Tried talking to Dell about this issue but they won't even talk to me without charging me because I am out of warranty. Dell has specs on their website that imply support for a 128gb micro SD but it doesn't work in the Venue Pro 11 (7130).

Is that false advertising?

32 Posts

January 26th, 2016 04:00

The only way I was able to determine some of my cards were fake, apart from paying low prices for most of them, was by doing a bench test. Aesthetically some of them look very convincing with all the correct branding and packaging. The proof is in the R/W speeds and other data obtained from the tests. The fake ones gave considerably low results compared to what the manufacturer states in their product spec. I think I have some screenshots of my test results somewhere. My first batch of duds went into my digital camcorder and I ended up losing hours of band footage. Heart wrenching! But I lived 

But hey, maybe Dell got it wrong this time? I doubt it, but it's always possible, and if they have got it wrong then you are surely entitled for your item to be recalled and put right? I'd sue em mate, but I'd also be prepared to lose.

15 Posts

January 26th, 2016 06:00

I got both my Samsung cards off Amazon (also the seller) so I doubt either were fake - returned both without any questions.

I was successful using the 128gb micro SD in its SD adapter in a Sabrent hub connected through the Venue Pro dock.  Ran this way for several days and had no problems.  However this is NOT the way I want to use the 128 micro SD - I want it to work in the internal port of the Venue Pro.

I am not as technical as some of you guys. But my process of elimination convinced me the problem was with the Venue Pro not the micro SD.

I have spent probably close to 100 hours over many months on the phone with Dell to replace the Venue Pro's keyboard (twice) and the dock (once & now it is acting up again). Good thought about suing but I agree I would probably lose and it is not worth my time. This system is the worse purchase I have ever made from Dell in 20 years.

11 Posts

January 26th, 2016 14:00

I do not what you guys poblem is but I am running  a 128 GB micro sd already since I bought my Dell.

Here a screen print.

As you can see I also upgraded the internal SSD to a 512 GB SSD.

I also run a 128 GB  micro sd in my Dell Venue 8 Pro without any problems.

And both micro sd are Samsung 128 GB purchased when they first came out.

11 Posts

January 26th, 2016 15:00

Like you can see in my post my Dell Venue 11 Pro is also a 7130. It was bought 26 March 2014.

I bought my Venue 8 Pro used (2nd hand) 29 October 2014

15 Posts

January 26th, 2016 15:00

I have a Venue Pro 11 (7130 - the first version of the Venue Pro 11).  How old is your Venue Pro 8?

Can't comment on any issue with upgrading the SSD.  This discussion is related only to problems with the micro SD.

86 Posts

February 20th, 2016 10:00

the Dell Venue 11 Pro i processor tablets do indeed support micro SD cards up to 200GB (largest size currently available). I am using a SANDISK and a PATRIOT card in my Dell Venue 11 tablets and they both work fine. Price for 128GB is $35-45 and the 200GB runs about $90. There are NO LEGITIMATE 256GB micro SD cards on the market.

No Events found!