Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2015 15:00

Failed Audio after Windows 10 Upgrade on Venue 8 Pro

I upgraded my Venue 8 Pro from windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  After the upgrade my audio system  failed.  There is no speaker output.  I cannot tell for sure, but I assume the microphone input has also failed.  I have attempted to fix by trying to update the audio drivers, but Windows reports that the installed drivers are current.  In Device Manager there are two devices reported as follows
(1)  Intel SST Audio Device (WDM):  Driver Version 604.10135.1010.531, Dated 5/25/2015.  and (2) Realtek I2S Audio codec:  Driver Version 604.10135.1010.531, Dated 5/25/2015.  is it correct to have 2 devices like this for audio?   I don't know how to verify what audio system is really present in the hardware for this tablet.  I'm a little nervous about uninstalling one or more of the devices in device manager without knowing what device is supposed to be there and where to find the correct driver.   Could someone point me to the correct process to diagnose/resolve this issue?

50 Posts

October 1st, 2015 20:00

FIXED!!!

I fixed the audio problem by rolling back drivers.   I followed the inst at 3rd bullet of windows.microsoft.com/.../fix-sound-problems  

Before doing this I used the Sound Panel to try to diagnose.  When I tried to use "configure" for playback and selected TEST, I got an error that the system could not procduce the sound to send to the speaker.  

To do the repair I selected these drivers that somehow were still available on my system.  For Intel SST I selected 603.9600.1948.30594 dated 11/22/2013.  This alone did not solve the problem, because I then changed the driver for the I2S to:  Realtek #6.2.9400.4028 dated 8/30/13.  After allowing system reboot, I returned to the Sound Panel to test.  AMAZINGLY, I heard the the test sounds.   :emotion-2:

32 Posts

November 10th, 2016 17:00

I have tried all of these steps to no avail. I did a fresh install of windows 10 because I was stuck in windows 10 upgrade boot loop. I installed all the drivers from dells website and everything works except the internal speakers and headphone jack. When I first tried these suggestions I tested it with a Bluetooth headphones and I got sound. But the speakers and headphones still don't work. I tried uninstalling speakers and that didn't work. Also, should the headphones show up under devices? because I do not see them listed in audio devices management or device manager.

1 Message

February 18th, 2017 22:00

I'm dealing with this same problem in Feb 2017. The MS help is worthless and a waste of time. I've tried the re-install button and several other things, but the auto-install fails and no real reason is given. I have just re-installed Win 10 on a machine that came with Win 8 because I was having problems with my file system the first time I installed Win 10. But the sound did work the first time.

1 Message

May 26th, 2017 02:00

I've had this exact problem with my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and no solution worked, until I discovered that I had to update the Realtek Audio Codec too, not just my Intel SST Audio driver.

Not sure if this approach solves your problem too, but it solved mine. I've uploaded only those drivers in a zip file here:

s000.tinyupload.com/index.php

50 Posts

October 31st, 2017 13:00

Tks MRTNKL .  My audio again broke a few months back.  I think as a result of some Microsoft Windows update.  Haven't had a chance to check yet, but I could not remember how I fixed it the first time.  I will take your file and compare it to anything I might have and see if I can get mine to work again.

What about Microphone?   I think mine is completely broke - not a driver problem.  Did yours work before  and then fail?

50 Posts

February 17th, 2020 09:00

Once again I had to fix the Realtek Audio Driver.  I had no sound and the microphone was inop.  It's been a few years since I had to do this so it took some time to find my notes and download necessary driver.  The Realtek I2S driver currently installed was one dated 8/2/2015 - not the one I had installed earlier.  So Win 10 updates are probably the ones that change the drivers and break my machine.  Don't know why.  I went to the realtek site, rooted around a while until I found:Realtek ver 6.2.9400.4028, dated 8/30/2013.  I installed the driver by going through Device Manager to the sound driver update.  I had to restart to complete the update, and heard that beautiful 'bootup' sound when it started.  

An amazing bonus is that my microphone also works.  I had thought previously that mic had a hardware malfunction and would never work.  But it does.....   I even tried to mic dictate function on the notepad and it worked wonderfully.  So now I can bring up notepad and dictate things I need to document and remember.  

No Events found!