Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2010 20:00

Froyo Android 2.2

As with all the other frustrated Dell Streak owners, I'm after any info on when the Dell Streak might finally be updated to 2.2. 

After purchasing the phone in Australia the week of launch and being promised an update to 2.1 by the end of October, to then find out this was cancelled and still no notification on when 2.2 will actually be released is rather annoying. 

There are many apps for Android that will no longer run on 1.6 and not having the option to install "older versions" of apps means that the 2.2 update for this phone is imperative. 

Any info on timeline (rather than a fixed date as that probably wouldn't be forthcoming) would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards. 

Ash

29 Posts

November 4th, 2010 13:00

11 Posts

November 4th, 2010 19:00

Great photo :)

but doesn't really help, there are heaps of half stories quoting some mysterious dell rep saying "much earlier than the end of December." but then nothing has come of it

13 Posts

November 5th, 2010 05:00

Assuming Dell are not going to drop the ball again :emotion-42:,  and therefore upset the japanese market it looks like the 2.2 update is almost ready for release. 

http://androidos.in/2010/11/softbank-japan-releases-dell-streak-htc-desire-hd-huawei-004hw/

Just hope Dell don't wind up all there existing customers anymore by holding off on it's release any longer than necessary.  Personally I feel it is a disgrace if they launch in Japan with 2.2 while people who have already invested in the product are stuck with 1.6 or an extremely flawed 2.1.

Any news AmyB?

Best regards,

Jon.

73 Posts

November 5th, 2010 10:00

I don't think Amy is allowed to talk to us.

I think 2.2 will be along by the second week of December. And I also think the Japan release doesn't doesn't matter to those of us who already have the Streak. I expect the US to get the update last.

Why Dell is so hush hush I don't know, but it could be worse. I mean look at Sony's release of GT-5.

And there is still this if you tired of waiting...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=802405

http://dellstreakhacks.com/

29 Posts

November 5th, 2010 18:00

@stephenjatdell: really soon, seriously. more next week.

11 Posts

November 7th, 2010 15:00

I have looked through those threads and am very close to actually gaining root and flashing one of the mods. 

as there are a few going around that are already using the 2.2 OS.  but seeing as the phone is still under the "return policy" period, I'd pref to keep it stock till that expires before flashing the phone. 

It's still annoying that after being promised 2.1 before the end of October, having that cancelled and then no word on when 2.2 will be released.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2010 10:00

First, the word is that 2.2 is already out in Japan.  Interesting that they released it in that language and not on say... O2's network to fix the incredibly botched 2.1 update out there.  Maybe they did the Japan thing so it wouldn't be feasible to use that release in the US?  Food for thought, but it does tell me that Dell DOES have a working 2.2.. why they don't release?

Second, it is a crying shame that a hacker can take a "leaked" version, tweak it, and release it into the wild before the TEAM of developers could do it at Dell.  This tells me that Dell is pretty much done with the development, and is waiting for some point in time to make the Streak an actual EVENT!

Their release to the Best Buy stores was as much a joke as releasing the device with 1.6 on it.  In fact, when I went into a Best Buy store to check out their display etc, I was negatively impressed with how little fanfare it was given.  A display at an end cap at the very farthest reaches of their cell phone area.  The signage was weak and not eye catching at all, and the reps had little to no information about the Streak at all.

Long has the smart phone population been waiting for the iPhone killer, and the streak was the "great white hope", but due to Dell's incredibly BAD show, it failed miserably.

The device is awesome.  I really do like mine.  I gave up a Samsung Vibrant (Galazy S) for the Streak, and I have to say, that might have been a bad move.  I've even been considering going back to that, a G2, or even a MyTouch 4g for no other reason than Dell's farce with the OS on the Streak.

Get with the program Dell... it's stupid things like this that continue to keep your bad reputation intact.

11 Posts

November 11th, 2010 00:00

I really hope, that Dell will put some more resources into Android development. It's disgrace to use still ancient 1.6 for tech people.

Jack

13 Posts

November 11th, 2010 04:00

Im kinda hoping for 12/11 since thats the date that the Dell Streak is ready for pre order in japan.

The only thing that Dell has to do is give a small update on their progress with the update, no need for a exact date since people rather wait a other week for a good release of a OS then a OS which is half done to meet a release date.

13 Posts

November 11th, 2010 05:00

@Daisai,

Not sure where you are and if in the US may not be that useful but you if you are on twitter it is worth following @stephenjatdell

According to a tweet today they are finalising the rollout plan and they will have start date shortly for EU devices OTA.

Cheers,

Jon.

13 Posts

November 11th, 2010 08:00

Might be some hope then for tomorrow.

Im talking more about updating the post from amy in this forum.

29 Posts

November 11th, 2010 09:00

as a general rule, it is not a good idea to release software on a Friday. However Dell haven't followed any normal rules for the Dell Streak release.

My guess is Monday at the earliest

14 Posts

November 12th, 2010 11:00

... new to this so dont know whether to reply or make new post.. got a notice on my Streak ( 2.1 rooted unlocked on AT&T ) that an update was available, clicked on it and got a screen that said update not available ??? If  I do not have the original 1.6 will i not be able to do the ota update?

thanks

ran

11 Posts

November 12th, 2010 14:00

I got the same thing this morning.

No Events found!