Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2014 23:00

GPS on Dell Venue 7 3740 ??

I have a new Dell Venue 7 3740 (shipped Sept 2014), and am unable to get GPS working on it.

Details follow, but please let me know if this device not not have a GPS unit - will save

me further debugging. Thanks - Andy

Problem:

Diagnostic test shows

Enabled:     No

GPS: Unavailable     (in red letters)

(Settings)

Location is set to ON

Mode is Battery Saving

If I touch "Battery Saving" another screen comes up, with only

Battery Saving displayed. I can not find the setting to turn on GPS

This could be a usage issue - maybe I have to touch screen in just

the right way ??

Location Widget

This widget can be cycled to four flavors: Off - On - left side lit - right side lit

GPS is unavailable in any of these flavors

3 Posts

October 4th, 2014 00:00

Think I can answer my own question, the Venue 7 3740 does not have GPS. Maybe I went by this web page, which indicates GPS: http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-7/pd?oc=ftcwv701

802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 + GPS

But on this page:

dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-7-3740-tablet/pd?oc=ftcwt01&model_id=dell-venue-7-3740-tablet 

802.11 AC + Miracast + Bluetooth 4.0

We have no GPS ... bummer ... but otherwise so far so good with this tablet.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2014 06:00

This is completely bogus.  I also have a new Dell Venue 7 3740, same!  No GPS!  Pretty much makes this tablet useless because many many apps require FINE LOCATION permission.  If the Venue 7 doesnt give this permission the app CAN NOT be installed!  So, basically, Google Play Store will filter out all apps that require FINE LOCATION.  This sinks!

3 Posts

November 16th, 2014 16:00

>>As I understand it, the second gen has 1 GB ram, 16 GB storage, no GPS.

>>My first gen has 2 GB ram, 32 GB styorasge and GPS.

Thanks for helping to confirm my guess about whether or not my Venue had GPS.
 (it does not).

This venue is just being lightly used at present, so lack of GPS is not a problem

and device is worth what I paid for it. Appreciate your warning about the upgrade,

will avoid this.

Another remark about GPS on the iPads - it costs over $100 to get the upgrade

that provides GPS, so it is not cheap. My personal iPad does not use GPS, so I bought

a plug in GPS called Bad Elf, which my wife figures is an appropriate name.

Bad Elf works OK some of the time, but if you knock the plug loose, which is very easy

to do, you lose GPS. Also sometimes other apps see the GPS info from Bad Elf, sometimes they do

not, and you have to start and stop apps, reboot,  do a back flip, or whatever it takes to get the GPS

info available - sigh.  I really like GPS in tablets ...

Desmolift-

I know how you feel.

My Venue 8 was my first Dell purchase and I was thrilled with it until they screwed it up with the 4.4.2 update

Now, it's nothing but a headache.

It crashes multiple times daily.

Dell has NEVER acknowledged their bungling re: the update and the bricking effect it has on their products.

My wife has the Venue 7 and had successfully avoided the update for months before accidentally allowing the update to install.

Less than 24 hr's later, it started to crash.

No surprise.

How does this relate to your problem?

It just illustrates that Dell doesn't give rats behind about their customers as long as they have the customers $.

How they expect to survive in the tablet by releasing second gen products that are SUB-PAR to the original is just mind boggling.

As I understand it, the second gen has 1 GB ram, 16 GB storage, no GPS.

My first gen has 2 GB ram, 32 GB styorasge and GPS.

The price point has not changed.

In other words- less product for the same $.

Tell us Dell, how can you justify this?

Seriously, how can you reduce the ram, storage and get rid of GPS (an essential element in today's tablet market) and expect the same $?

I'm ticked because even if I am offered a new Venue 8 to replaced this bricked piece of plsastic and glass, it will be sub par to the original.

First and last time Dell customer.

Future Samsung customer.

3 Posts

GPS is just required in a tablet given the way permissions are handled in Android.  Apps request permissions from the device, if the device does not give permission, you are hosed and can not install that app.  In my case, I would like to use the Venue 7 as a remote for my audio/video system, its a nice size and well priced.  But, given the confusion between a Dell "Venue 7" and a Dell "Venue 7 3000", I ended up with the GPSless version.  Note they are the same price $149.  The remote app I want to use has weather, which requires FINE LOCATION permission, ie GPS.  So the app will not even install on the Venue 7 3000.  Basically rendering the Venue 7 3000 useless for my application.  The only way around this is to have the app vendor create a "special build" of their software that works on GPSless devices like the Venue 7, a rat hole software developers are reluctant to traverse.  

No Events found!