medseven
1 Copper

Honeycomb for the Dell Streak 7?

Recently bought a Streak 7 under the pretense there was going to be an update to the android system. Was wondering when the honeycomb update will be released for the Streak 7.

Its such a powerful and nice piece of hardware truelly believe it is wasted with android 2.2!

0 Kudos
158 Replies
crogs571
1 Copper

Re: Honeycomb for the Dell Streak 7?

Inquiry minds want  to know. Quite a few bought into this device recently with the Staples deal with the rumor floating around about Honeycomb becoming official. I played with honeystreak, the xoom dump tweaked for the ds7, and it was pretty sweet for the most part. But we need the real thing for it to be perfect. The Tegra 2 just screams for Honeycomb. So c'mon Dell, make the rumors true.

0 Kudos
medseven
1 Copper

Ya I saw the staples coupon on XDA forums, although being in the UK was not lucky enough to pick up such a deal. Best price here was just under £200 for the wifi only version.

Was thinking of giving DJ-Steve's Honeystreak rom a try, but dont want to void warranty and although I read gives a good look of what Honeycomb would be like, many features are still not working.

Its funny how the company behind the tablet seem to lag behind, especially when independent devolopers like 'DJ-Steve' seem to get a workable build of Android 3.2 onto the system in a night. Have a funny feeling that we wont be seeing a release from Dell until the independent'  developers have released a stable custom version!!!

Most other Tegra 2 devices are running Honeycomb, on a 10 inch display. This unit screems power for what a tablet is, and would be very much suited to Honeycomb. Would very much appreciate some sort of reply from the people at Dell themselves, if they can confirm an official release of Honeycomb and perhaps some sort of date?

0 Kudos
John_Westra
1 Copper

I completely agree with the comment "Its such a powerful and nice piece of hardware (truly) believe it is wasted with android 2.2!"  All of the Mobile vendors, with Google pushing them, need to keep updates flowing as fast as possible.  The irony is, the independent developer network would do most of the work for them, if they opened up their platforms and provided freely available drivers.

Seriously!  How many computer hardware manufacturers are releasing their latest models with Windows Vista, non-functioning webcams and a ton of pre-loaded software.   Ooops... that last point is an obvious annoyance in both the PC and mobile world.  The difference is, in the mobile environment, these apps are in ROM and can't simply be deleted to make room for the user's choice of applications!

0 Kudos
medseven
1 Copper

Ineeed.

I was wondering do dell staff actually come here to answer the questions?

0 Kudos
bearboman
1 Copper

Doesn't seem so... nore does it seem as though we'll be getting Honeycomb anytime soon... sux that our device just came out in February and they're probably going to kill it soon. At least dev's like DJ Steve are trying harder than dell does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Z4nd4r
1 Copper

As I've said elsewhere in this forum, Dell needs to get with the mobile game. Release the drivers to the public (it can only help you, Dell), release devices with the most up to date firmware, and give out timely updates. Heck, Stage UI is just a home screen replacement; they ought to be able to throw the latest version of Android on their device in a week's time from AOSP release (I know; Honeycomb isn't on AOSP, yet, but they could easily have done a Gingerbread ROM by now).

Wake up and smell the new ecosystem, Dell. This isn't Windows desktop, or even Windows Mobile. It's much more fast paced, yet even easier on you- if you learn how to work it, that is.

0 Kudos
FredOak3
1 Copper

Plus if they want customers to buy any new versions aka 10 inch, they need to update their current client base so we can spread the word. Dis us and it can have a publicity back fire (Like the GPS on Samsung's Captivate)

0 Kudos
peterod
1 Copper

I too bought one in anticipation that Honeycomb was going to be officially released by Dell....four months down the line and still waiting. Come on Dell pull your finger out and release it or don't expect anyone to even consider the 10 inch if you don't support your existing loyal customers

0 Kudos
bearboman
1 Copper

I would have totally bought the 10" for my wife as she likes the bigger screen, but it won't be a dell because I'll never be able to expect future support on the thing. Why bother...

0 Kudos