Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2011 19:00

How do I upgrade my Dell Streak from android 1.6 to 2.2?

I recently purchased a Dell Streak from Best Buy and am using AT&T as the carrier. It is currently on version 1.6. I tried the "check for update" via the system settings but it says there are no updates available. I have also not recived the notifacation for the update for the OTA upgrade. I know that 2.2 was relaesed last month for the Streak so how do I upgrade my phone?

Thanks

21 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 09:00

Try a FACTORY RESET on the unit.  If that doesn't work, send it back and join the rest of us other brick owners,

March 22nd, 2011 11:00

Hi,

You may check the link below for more information on Froyo 2.2 update :

http://dell.to/b0TnnE

In case you still have concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Shibani N

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 14:00

Hi,

You may check the link below for more information on Froyo 2.2 update :

http://dell.to/b0TnnE

In case you still have concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Shibani N

Hi Shibani,

I bought my ATT-locked dell streak just a few days ago and continue to get the "up to date" response when I try updating even though the 2.2 update for locked streaks has been out for a month or more.  What do I need to do to update?

Thanks!

33 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 15:00

You may already have 2.2 then. whats listed for the version# in the "About" section?

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 08:00

Sorry, should have specified - It's firmware version 1.6, build number 6601, Kernel 2.6.29-perf, Baseband GAUSB1A111231-US 

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 16:00

I found a solution that worked perfect for me....

This is the latest AT&T Rom (Froyo) http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
1. It needs to be renamed to update.pkg and copied to the root of your device's memory card.
2. Turn off your phone and restart it by pressing and holding volume up + down buttons and the power button.
3. This should take you to the recovery menu where you can select option 2 to do the software upgrade from a pkg file
# The camera button is used to select items in the menu

After upgrading the phone will do a factory reset and 5 or so minutes later you'll be up and running with Android 2.2 (Froyo)

It's the official release not a hacked rom.

119 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 20:00

Try using this code in your phone dialer to force your device to check-in with the update servers: *#*#checkin#*#*

You can read about it here: http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/28/force-check-android-update/

4 Posts

March 29th, 2011 08:00

@somaj - thank you!  this worked like a charm, unlike everything else I've tried.

Cheers!

1 Message

April 10th, 2011 18:00

So how do I save this update to the "root" of my devices memory card.  Each time I try to save it to "sdcard/update.pkg" my computer says that the name is invalid.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2011 14:00

Just bought my Dell Streak from Best Buy today.  I tried your steps to update to 2.2.  Everything seemed like it was going well...  I downloaded the link you posted, saved it to my Streak (I wasn't exactly sure what the root folder was, but I saved it just inside the Removable Disk (E:) folder that shows up on My Computer).  I then restarted the Streak using steps 2 and 3 that you listed.  It did show me the option of upgrading from a pkg file and I selected that.  But when my phone booted up, it's still running version 1.6. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

2 Posts

Actually, looks like I got it to work.  Thanks!  (I just wasn't holding down the camera shutter button long enough!)

4 Posts

did you rename the file you downloaded to "update.pkg"?  (without quotes obviously).  Also, seems like a silly question but never hurts to ask, did you download the right package?

Saving to the drive that shows up on your computer is correct, just make sure you don't save it into a folder within that drive (that's what they mean by root).

Upgrade via pkg file will always be an option in recovery, regardless of whether you've done it correctly or not.  Did it just reboot when you selected that, or did the screen show an installation process?

Hope that helps!

No Events found!