8 Krypton

Re: How to Avoid Breaking the Streak LCD or Gorilla Glass and What to Do If You Have a Broken Streak

one more you could try - globaldirectparts.com

0 Kudos
tjagolf33
1 Copper

Re: How to Avoid Breaking the Streak LCD or Gorilla Glass and What to Do If You Have a Broken Streak

Not trying to be a contrarian to all the people who have been unfortunate enough to damage their devices, but I've dropped mine more times than I can count onto my hardwood floor, onto tile, and even once into a bush (I was walking down the stairs not looking and I slipped, sending the device flying through the air into the shrubbery). Long story short, other than a few fine scratches my Streak looks good as new *shrugs*. And yes, I know I'm super clumsy!

0 Kudos
Aron
6 Indium

I have been using the Streak for three months now. I carry it in my front and back pants pocket as well as my shirt pocket. I have dropped it once form four feet on to a carpeted concrete floor (no damage) and once from about two feet on to concrete (slight pock mark on plastic). I will not get a carrying case for it (Otterbox Commuter is what I would go for if I did) because to me that detracts from the devices slim design, however I may try the ZAGG™ invisibleSHIELD™ Full Body Protector. I really like the microfiber pouch the device ships with, I just wish I could purchase a half dozen of them from Dell for a reasonable price. 

Anyone looking for information on the OTA upgrade should check out this link.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19353639.aspx?PageIndex=2

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@TJAGOLF33 & @ARON,

My gosh you are self centred!  We are talking about the lack of repair service and not about how lucky some people are when they are reckless with their device.

I dropped my streak once onto concrete and the screen broke. I was lucky enough that O2 picked up the tab and gave me a new phone (well, a refurb really). There are may people out there with broken devices and nowhere to turn. Show me another company that released a disposable device that costs $500.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

I was considering buying in the new Venue Pro when it becomes available, but considering all the problems I have had with the Streak I will give it a miss.

The Streak from all accounts is dead. I know WM7 is almost bomb proof as MS are not allowing any of the manufacturers to get their sticky fingers on the OS, but in light of the design and build quality issues with the Streak. I am sure I would live to regret a Venue purchase too.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Well said Highland. Now let's see how thick the management is.

0 Kudos
Aron
6 Indium

My commentary was in response to the original post, I didn't realize this was supposed to be bashing Dell. I just dropped it again (3 feet screen down on tile) and was sure I was going to see a shattered screen, but didn't. I am self insuring as I do with most of my products. If I was worried about it I would have purchased one of the many cases available for the tablet.  That being said I am not cattying it in my shirt pocket any more.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The problem is that all the cases prevent it fitting in the car holder.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

In fact I'm pretty disappointed with the car holder, the way it holds the phone isn't very clever. It requires some effort to get the phone in and out, I've dropped my phone more than once while trying to insert/remove it. Also one of the plastic bezels on the end of my phone (the earpiece end) has come loose and I'm sure its due to the way the rubber bumper on the car holder presses on it.

Then you need to plug the cable in separately (it doesn't 'dock') and if the phone is mounted such that you can see the screen you can't see the connector which seems to be rather unforgiving if it is misaligned. The power socked end of that connector (actually a USB power socket/cigarette lighter adapter) is quite long, protruding from the socket (right next to my knee) at least 2 inches (I have a similar Walmart unit that fits completely within the cigarette lighter recess).

Finally, even though there's the huge multi-pin plug in the bottom of the phone it seems that only power is provided, I have to plug another wire into the top of the phone to be able to connect the audio to the aux-in on my car stereo, surely this could have been part of the 30-pin cable.

0 Kudos
Joey_Jojo
1 Copper

Since I am the OP, I assume you directed that at me.  My main grievance is that Dell states we should treat this phone as a computing device (which I do) and suggests not using it in a way that they advertise it.  I would be far less aggravated if Dell would also treat this as a computing device and sell replacement parts and/or service, because of right now they will tell you to buy another.  There are countless tales of screens being broken by keeping it in a pocket, short falls onto carpet, etc.  I have had to replace my cousin's screen because of a drop (ironically it was on her way to get a case) and right now they are $250.  I did not expect a bulletproof device, but I would have expected better of the build of the device and with Dell's support.

0 Kudos