mskalmus
1 Nickel

How to change Settings to permit Streak to install non-Market apps?

Jump to solution

I wish to install on my Dell Streak non-Market apps. 

When I attempt to do so, I receive a message stating "Install blocked.  For security, your device is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market."

Selecting the Settings button on this message opens the Application Settings screen, which lists Manage Applications and Development.  Where is the setting to permit me to install non-Market apps?  How do I change these settings? 

M Kalmus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FoxhoundEP3
1 Copper

Re: How to change Settings to permit Streak to install non-Market apps?

Jump to solution

Here's how to loosen AT&T's stifling grip on your factory condition (build 6601) Dell Streak:

1. Dial *#*#307#*#* on your Streak. Other than a quick flash on the screen, it will look like nothing has happened.
  2. Go to your app drawer/program menu and tap a new icon labeled EMList. If the icon is not there, turn off the Streak. It should be there when you turn it on again.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and tap app_security.
  4. Tap update unknown resource property to enable it.

That's it!

To confirm that it worked, press the Home button followed by Menu -> Settings -> Applications. You should now see the "Unknown sources" option. Now you can download and install any 1.6-compatible app you find with ease!

To uninstall EMList, dial *#*#308#*#* on your Streak. Enjoy!

Fox

13 Replies
RAW19
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

For tips and suggestions related to the use of the Streak check out the website streaksmart.com.

0 Kudos
imaXami
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi MSKALUS - did you ever get an answer to this question?  I'm trying to isntall the new Android Tweetdeck beta, and am getting the same issue.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
FoxhoundEP3
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Here's how to loosen AT&T's stifling grip on your factory condition (build 6601) Dell Streak:

1. Dial *#*#307#*#* on your Streak. Other than a quick flash on the screen, it will look like nothing has happened.
  2. Go to your app drawer/program menu and tap a new icon labeled EMList. If the icon is not there, turn off the Streak. It should be there when you turn it on again.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and tap app_security.
  4. Tap update unknown resource property to enable it.

That's it!

To confirm that it worked, press the Home button followed by Menu -> Settings -> Applications. You should now see the "Unknown sources" option. Now you can download and install any 1.6-compatible app you find with ease!

To uninstall EMList, dial *#*#308#*#* on your Streak. Enjoy!

Fox

Highlighted
johnssm
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

THIS DOES NOT WORK ON ALL DELL STREAKS.

The following Dell Streak had no effect after applying this fix. Yes' "EMList" shows up and yes making the other changes DO NOT produce the ability to use unknown sources. You can not download anything except through the Market.

The system for reference is:

Dell Streak

Firmware 1.6

Build 6601

0 Kudos
1stStreaker
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I tried and it works perfectly. You won't be able to download app from Dell browser though. I use Dolphin browser to download to SD card and install from there.

0 Kudos
KevinLee
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It does not work for my streak either....

Android Ver 2.2

Build 14844

0 Kudos
mattrageous4
1 Copper

Jump to solution

it dosent work for streak 2.2 15697

0 Kudos
MavenGroup
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

If this solution does not work for you, you could try the Android Side Loader.  It is kind of a pain, but a least you should be able to install Apps.

www.androidcentral.com/sideload-android-apps-all-you-want-sideload-wonder-machine

0 Kudos
Rico ANDROID
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It should have worked by now, but if not, could also use the shortcuts builted into LauncherPro that lets you get to the EMLIST settings to turn "on" the unauthorized app process.

"You can talk about my granny but dont touch my DELL Streak!'

0 Kudos