Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2014 08:00

How to disable password

I figured out how to disable password on venue pro 8 when in sleep mode but...after it is turned off(which is how I now leave it) i always have to enter a password. How do I disable the need to enter a password upon starting up? 

16 Posts

July 28th, 2014 11:00

The link you  gave me does not help. According to that article you  MUST enter some sort of password/code upon starting. I have read that You can disable it and was looking for confirmation about doing it on this site.

915 Posts

July 28th, 2014 12:00

Did you miss this from the bottom of that page?  (And there also are instructions on how to switch to a local account there as well.)

To remove an existing password from a local account

If you're using a local account with a password, you can delete the password to sign in without one, but we don't recommend it.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)        

2.           Enter sign, and then tap or click Sign-in options.        

3.           Under Password, tap or click Change.        

4. Verify the current password for your local account.

5.           Leave the New password, Reenter password, and Password hint fields blank, tap or click Next, and then tap or click Finish.        

Now, you (or anyone) can sign in to your local account and use your PC without a password.

16 Posts

July 28th, 2014 14:00

Did you miss this from the bottom of that page?  (And there also are instructions on how to switch to a local account there as well.)

To remove an existing password from a local account

If you're using a local account with a password, you can delete the password to sign in without one, but we don't recommend it.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)        

2.           Enter sign, and then tap or click Sign-in options.        

3.           Under Password, tap or click Change.        

4. Verify the current password for your local account.

5.           Leave the New password, Reenter password, and Password hint fields blank, tap or click Next, and then tap or click Finish.        

Now, you (or anyone) can sign in to your local account and use your PC without a password.

Thank you...i did not see that. I see it is not recommended but I never take it out of the house so I will think about doing it. I appreciate all your help.

915 Posts

July 28th, 2014 16:00

I think that Microsoft is just being justifiably cautious and protective with its recommendation, should the tablet ever be lost or stolen. 

If the issue is the hassle with typing in the password, perhaps you might prefer the picture password option, in which you trace some lines over a picture.  Just a thought, as a compromise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/personalize-pc-tutorial

480 Posts

July 28th, 2014 22:00

You have to get to the RUN window.

Either bring up Search, and type RUN, or, from the desktop screen, right click on the lower left window icon, and then click on RUN.

In the Run window, next to OPEN, type - netplwiz, then click OK.

Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

That's it.

Make a note of it, because if you're like me, you'll have to look it up again the next time you need to know :emotion-5:

915 Posts

July 28th, 2014 23:00

You have to get to the RUN window.

Either bring up Search, and type RUN, or, from the desktop screen, right click on the lower left window icon, and then click on RUN.

In the Run window, next to OPEN, type - netplwiz, then click OK.

Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

That's it.

Make a note of it, because if you're like me, you'll have to look it up again the next time you need to know :emotion-5:

Or, you can just follow the instructions above--perhaps easier to recall.   :emotion-5:

92 Posts

July 29th, 2014 10:00

If you want to auto login with a Microsoft Account then the netplwiz is your best option.

915 Posts

July 29th, 2014 11:00

If you want to auto login with a Microsoft Account then the netplwiz is your best option.

A very good point and clarification.

No Events found!