Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2014 14:00

Keyboard Activation

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 8.1.  If I want to type something in a web page, I have to touch the text entry field, and then touch the keyboard icon in the lower right. This brings the keyboard up.  On my wife's iPad, touching the field you want to type it automatically brings up the keyboard without having to go thru an extra step to bring up the keyboard.  Is there a way to make my Venue's keyboard activate by just touching a field? A checkbox somewhere? Thanks

4 Posts

January 21st, 2014 17:00

Thanks, Brian.  I just received the tablet and didn't want to spend hours looking for the right settings location if none existed.

828 Posts

January 21st, 2014 17:00

There is another thread here on this that I've posted to already, but...

This is working as designed by Microsoft (I don't know why they chose this implementation).   The on-screen keyboard will only auto populate in the modern interface (and modern apps).   It does not automatically pop up in the desktop interface (and apps).  

I'm not aware of any hacks or workarounds but perhaps you can find something on Google or Bing.

13 Posts

January 20th, 2014 15:00

You are using IE for the desktop so the keyboard will not popup automatically. Try using IE from the Start menu.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh771832(v=vs.85).aspx

4 Posts

January 20th, 2014 16:00

Thank you for responding.  It doesn't seem to make a difference.  Also, I'd like to be able to have the keyboard become activated for other programs, like firefox which I typically use.

No Events found!