Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2013 09:00

Latitude 10 Tablet battery charging problems

I have a Latitude 10 Tablet that has been in service for a little over a month. The tablet's battery would not hold a charge. Have spent two very long sessions with support and have had an on-site tech out twice to first replace the battery, and second to replace battery, motherboard and A/C charger cord. The tablet works fine plugged in, the on-screen battery indicator at 100%. When I unplug the tablet from the A/C charger and operate on battery it appears to work fine, and the on-screen battery indicator shows 99% capacity.  I have completely reloaded the OS due to the motherboard change and also did a flash BIOS update as outlined in an article elsewhere on the Dell support site as a solution to the battery charging issue. 

I'm getting ready to put the unit back in service, however, at no time has the Battery LCD next to the A/C charger plug in at the base of the tablet come on. With this in mind, I'm hesitant to turn it over to my customer to use fearing the battery will completely lose its charge and we will be back to square one. Any suggestions??

1 Message

November 4th, 2013 18:00

I have seen this problem previously and would suggest that you start by ensuring that the Bios and Intel chipset updates are current. If your Bios is at version Ao6, for example, flash Ao7 followed by Ao8. You can get these updates from www.dell.com/drivers.

If this does not work then call Customer Care. It may be that you have a defective battery. The Bios updates can only be done with Bitlocker suspended or turned off so suspend it if gun have it running.

Hope this helps!

John

November 16th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

I'm experiencing the very same issue - no charging light next to the AC adapter port, and the battery icon shows that the tablet is plugged in but not charging the battery. I updated the chipset driver to A06 and BIOS to A06, which still did not fix the issue.

I called technical support who arranged for a new battery to be sent out, and this also did not charge.

Dell then arranged for an engineer to visit on site, but although I waited in on the scheduled date, nobody from Dell arrived. So I currently have a tablet that only works when connected to a power socket via the charging adapter.

Poor customer service experience.

November 16th, 2013 16:00

I meant to say I have updated the BIOS to A08

3 Posts

December 5th, 2013 12:00

An on-site tech removed and switched out the battery and had to return a second time to swap out the motherboard AND another battery as the first two didn't hold their charge. The on-site tech however only worked on the hardware and didn't have authorization to update the BIOS and thus make sure the battery would charge. As if this date that issue is corrected, now the tablet screen goes black when on battery power. The screen stays on just fine when in the AC adapter or USB. Trying now to troubleshoot the latest issue for my computer client, who obviously is NOT happy!!

2 Posts

August 6th, 2015 15:00

how did you check and update your chipset drivers? how do I know what mine is?

2 Posts

August 6th, 2015 15:00

how do you check to see what chip set you have? if I don't have the latest, how do I update mine?

No Events found!