Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2010 17:00

My 2nd Dell Streak - Cracked LCD and now Cracked Gorilla Glass

Im loving my Dell Strak other than Ive now cracked my LCD 3 weeks ago (had to fork out $250 and go back to a little Nokia for 2 weeks) and now the glass has cracked whilst I was at the beach with it. I try to convince myself its a go anywhere device but now fear If I fork out another $250 dollars for repairs Im not going to enjoy it as much...

Dell whats up with the phone - Screen Glass?

4 Posts

December 13th, 2010 13:00

Man sorry to hear that.  May I suggest a ottobox case for you.  I have honestly only dropped mine once that I can remember and luckily no damage.  I am surprised that you have broken yours twice already since it has only been out since sept.

Still a shame that they never offered insurance on these devices with att.  

2 Posts

February 14th, 2011 21:00

I only had my phone for 2 weeks when the LCD cracked over the weekend. I didn't drop it, sit  on it or stand on it or do anything that might otherwise explain why it cracked.. it was in my bag, the crack just appeared the next day. My phone provider here in Singapore was happy to replace it for a few hundred bucks because the damage is not covered by Dell's warranty. However, I felt that this was unfair given that I honestly did nothing to the phone to cause this damage.. if the phone can't handle jostling around in a woman's handbag, then Dell is in big trouble. My provider ended up waiving the replacement fee but now I'm worried that the same thing will happy to the new handset and I'll be stuck with a broken phone. I've been reading numerous reports about the LCD screen cracking after either a minor fall or nothing at all. To me, this suggests that there could be a design fault with the screens. If this is the case, then Dell should offer a limited warranty on the screens cracking.

I actually love this phone and thought I could avoid becoming an iSheep. However, now I very disappointed. Where at first, I was telling my friends with great excitement about what a great phone it is to telling them to avoid as it looks like there is a design fault with the screen that Dell won't do anything about. For me, it has damaged my overall impression of the Dell brand and may look at upgrading everything to Mac after all, as Apple doesn't seem to have this problem.

1 Message

February 19th, 2011 16:00

I have just managed to crack my screen and at the time was to dangerous to call o2 insurance to make a claim 

(risk of cutting my fingures and infection) - Dell Note

02 mentioned that my insurance is invalid as my call was made via my Xda and not from the phone (Dell Streak), I complained but it got no where.

So either faced with a £140 bill to replace the screen or a temp fix untill Dell gets their life and design service sorted out, I have to revert to silicon (clear) to fill in a few cracks or maybe see if there is an option of liquid glass like plastic to set and do a better job.

Why can not dell and other companies use Perspex it will not crack and will offer better protection ?

One good thing is that if one is mugged then you can say, 'gosh you would'nt want my phone its a Dell Streak, with a cracked screen'.

They may say 'Oh no not a Dell its useless and the screen is so bad, the insurance is poor too if its with 02, oh yes and it has to be with 02' here have my phone its a iPhone4. Perhaps if the Dell and other compaines were to use a glass panel that was replaceable then it may be worth something or Perspex'.

No Events found!