Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2016 19:00

Need to change ownership for Venue 8 Pro

I bought my Dell Venue 8 Pro about a year ago and only used it a few weeks before my eyesight suddenly went really bad.  I still try to charge it every few days and hopefully kept most of the updates up but I haven't used it because I cannot see it well enough. I want to give it to my daughter in law but don't know what to do to get it ready for a new owner.  I haven't put a thing on the hard drive except the apps that I downloaded from Microsoft store. Thanks in advance for any advice or help given.

915 Posts

February 26th, 2016 23:00

Well, that's odd--the link worked before.  Here it is again--or just do an Internet search engine search on "Dell change of ownership," which will lead you to an appropriate link.

www.dell.com/.../19

Now, just to be clear:  the only thing that the above link serves for is, to change Dell's records as to who owns the tablet.  It doesn't change anything on the tablet itself.  It's just an administrative matter, which can ease matters if your daughter-in-law needs to speak with Dell about the tablet (for help or whatever), or Dell with her.

It's the second half of the above that is more important, from the user perspective:  resetting the tablet back to it's out-of-box set-up, which will wipe out all of your own account information, passwords, files, programs, etc.--it will be as if your daughter-in-law is getting a new tablet picked up at the store.   I assume that that is what you want to do.  Again, the above link has nothing at all to do with the resetting process.

To reset the tablet, do a search on the tablet (on the Start screen, click on the search icon (the magnifying glass) at the upper right; or, on the Desktop, swipe in from the right side of the screen and click on the search icon) and type in and search on the word "reinstall", and then choose the option, "Remove everything and reinstall Windows".  When you get to the next option screen, again choose "Remove everything and reinstall Windows", and then follow the instructions.  NOTE, AGAIN, THAT THIS PROCESS WILL ERASE ALL YOUR OWN PERSONAL INFO. ON THE TABLET--SAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP FIRST, TO A THUMBDRIVE, BACKUP DRIVE, ETC.

No worries about the Windows key--it is embedded in the tablet's BIOS and does not get erased with the reinstall (just like the key already was installed on the tablet when you first got the tablet).  And as to Office, if it originally came installed by Dell on your tablet, it should, I believe, still be there after the re-install--you just will need to go through the Office activation process again, I believe (be sure to keep the physical copy of your Office key safeguarded, and not stored on your tablet).  Or if you had purchased Office separately, you will need to, I believe, reinstall and reactivate Office.

Do note that you don't use your earlier backup copy for anything--Windows reinstalls itself in this process, using the information stored on the tablet already by the Windows system. 

It really is, in the end, a simple process--I hope this helps and I haven't made it seem complex!  And you are a nice father-in-law!    :emotion-1:

915 Posts

February 25th, 2016 09:00

Here's where you can update the Dell ownership records:

www.dell.com/.../04;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">www.dell.com/.../04;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

And what your daughter-in-law or you then might want to do is to re-set the DV8P back to the factory settings, and then set the tablet up as she likes for herself, including with her own ID.  To do this, do a search on the machine for "reset" and choose the re-install Windows option.  Very easy to do!

22 Posts

February 26th, 2016 21:00

Thank you so much for your reply Mikerman and wondering if you could please be a little more specific about the windows install.  The link you gave me says "access denied", so what next?  I have a backup I made right after I bought the tablet so I am assuming that's what I should use.  Should I have a product key for windows as I cannot seem to find one.  I purchased Office 2013 with my DV8P and have the product key so does this mean it can be reinstalled also?  I would hate to lose it before it's ever even used.  Thanks again.

22 Posts

February 28th, 2016 12:00

Thank you Mikerman so much for your detailed reply!!  I feel much more confident now to try this process and appreciate your time and effort.  Thanks also for compliment but actually I am a "nice mother-in-law" .  :-) 

915 Posts

February 28th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for overlooking my denseness--I guess the username "andiesmom" should have clued me in!  For some reason, I had you in my mind as an older grandfather sort, lol. 

Good luck!  The processes take a little bit of time (good to do while watching tv) and the ownership change was more complex than it should have been for something this simple, when I did it, but both are do-able.

And you indeed are a nice mother-in-law! 

No Events found!