Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2010 06:00

New 4.3" android phone, Dell Streak's new competition...Will this be the end for the Streak?

So,

now the news came in that the HTC Desire HD will be launched next month, for £480 (incl. some nice accessories). 

The Desire HD will come with 1ghz CPU, 768mb Ram and 4.3" Screen, 8mp camera.

Now is this not the next size down to the dell streak? Now users that want a big phone can finally opt for something decent, the desire HD which I think will kill the spotlight for the Dell Streak, with just 0.7" bigger screen, the Dell Streak has unfortunately nothing to offer apart from slow/buggy updates. 

The desire HD will be available on the 13th of October and will be shipped with 2.2 Froyo.

Now guys tell me, do you think the release will be the end for the Dell Streak? I'm sure by the time off the release we will still be stuck with Android 1.6!?!

This is a serious question, not just bashing the dell streak, I'm just wondering what has the Dell streak to offer to compete with this new big screen phone from HTC?

Anyone considering selling/returning their streak to get a Desire HD?

73 Posts

September 15th, 2010 10:00

I think the Streak is an awesome device, but as long as it is not marketed and doesn't offer the latest Android OS it will be at a major disadvantage to the other +4" touch screen phones out there.

But there is a very small team working on the Streak and I'm not sure how supported the device is within the company. To me it's kinda like a half hearted attempt at jumping into the cell phone/tablet business.

70 Posts

September 15th, 2010 17:00

Somes up Dell perfectly!  "Jacks of all trades Masters of None"

15 Posts

September 15th, 2010 21:00

I already have 4.3 inches with the HD2. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and the Streak is still not unlocked. Right now I'm playing the waiting game between the Streak the Galaxy Tab. Which ever is available first unlock to Canada will get my money. Second place will get nothing.

28 Posts

September 16th, 2010 04:00

I m thinking of selling my streak and buy the new HTC desire HD with froyo 2.2 and a MUCH BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPPORT

September 19th, 2010 09:00

+1 Hey by the time streak gets froyo everyone else will be hopping onto some 3.0  :O 

10 Posts

September 19th, 2010 11:00

so am i,

Well I'm in the process of returning my dell streak, after just over a week, having the phone randomly turn off in my pocket, freezing when receiving calls..this morning the phone when unplugged from the charger was vibrating and nothing stopped it until battery was removed. Now such a device causing issues like this within the 1st week, it just seems like this device should have been more thoroughly tested before being released. Same with the 2.1 update, why wasnt it more thoroughly tested before release? 

Dell your losing another customer here.

September 19th, 2010 14:00

Hopefully I can get mines exchanged as I've had it over a month now with all the issues it has which are software I believe it comes under faulty product no dell? :)

September 21st, 2010 11:00

OMG  Take a look at the Droid at 3.7" and compare it to the EVO at 4.3" there is no comparison.  Now imagine the EVO at 4.3" and the Streak at 5".

I bought the Streak because my iPad is just too big to lug around, and my EVO is really too small to surf the net for any length of time.  I travel and spend a lot of time in restaurants.  The Streak is the perfect size for surfing the net when I am on the road.  I just use the local WiFi or tether it to my EVO, so no additional airtime charges.  Could make the Streak my phone as well if AT&T had more consistent coverage in the locations I travel, but Sprint is the best service for my locations, especially with 4G.  Even with the 2.2 to 1.6 version differences between my EVO and Streak I always pickup my Streak when I want to catch up on the news, look at maps, or check flight schedules.  Apps that do not require panning are fine on the 4.3” but I always go to the 5” Streak for anything that is going to require zoom and pan.

Have had my Streak since the first week you could buy one and have not had a single problem.  I do occasionally touch one of the 3 Android buttons or an icon on the screen when I’m hitting the sleep button or likewise hit the wake up button when taking it out of my pocket or picking it up off the desk.  Haven’t experienced the device turning on, off, or changing screens without the cause being me activating the function with my fingers while handling the device.  I have the same problem with my iPad’s home button, I will be in an application and accidentally hit the home button while changing my hand positions, or accidentally turn it on when picking it up.

Not sure where the optimum combination is for portability vs. screen size, but at this point the Streak is definitely the best for me.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2010 17:00

I am 57 and my eyes are getting OLD.

So having this big screen makes it possible for me to still go on the net and SEE WHAT IS DISPLAYING.

Also, using the small screens is responsible for 1000"s of people having problems with their eyes.

Just my 10 cents

No Events found!