Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2013 02:00

New XPS 10 firmware or Windows RT update have ruined two XPS Tablets today.

First off, the lucky XPS 10 owners that downloaded the new updates that systems work the same, well I wish I were you guys. I however didn't get out so lucky. Here is my story.

I got a replacement XPS 10 Tablet in the mail today that seemed to work fine. Then I updated the Firmware that came out today and the new Windows RT Updates and anytime I shut it down or restart it the system hangs on the shutting down screen for over 5 minutes until it shows a Windows Blue screen that says Driver Power State Failure and then it reboots itself. It can do this 10 out of 10 times rebooting or restarting or not do it for 2 or 3 times. It's so random.

I've removed everything and reinstalled windows and it will reboot and shut down fine. That is until I install Dell's latest firmware and the Windows Updates, then it's back again! I was told that it wasn't the firmware and it might have been a problem with that tablet and it's preinstalled software. Fine, I can buy that.

That is until my previous Tablet that I'm supposed to send back to Dell (Screen had been flickering and needed rebooted often but other then that, it works fine) downloaded and installed the firmware and Windows updates. Then now it won't shut down and reboot with out showing the exact same screen. Funny how it's worked for weeks and NEVER has had a problem rebooting or shutting down until those updates installed. I won't believe the updates aren't the problem because then why else would a factory fresh Tablet work until it was updated?

What is so odd is sometimes both of them will shut down or reboot and not do anything, almost fooled me into thinking it was a glitch that had fixed itself until BOOM, it shows it's ugly face. Sometimes it could do it 10 out of 10. I've made two different videos showing them doing it. I had decided that I could still use the tablet and just not shut it down but now they are doing blue screens and freezing while in use, what gives?

I decided that I could do a factory refresh and not install the new updates but now I can't even do that as the second video will show. Now they crash now matter what I do and are both useless. I need these for work and school and now I have a replacement Tablet that is worse then the previous.

I'm at a loss here and I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do.

Here is just to name a few of the glitches and crashes I've had in the past month.

1. Screen will flicker so badly I have to reboot. Happens 3 or 4 times a week.

2. Side screen moves back and fourth causing a reboot.

3. Windows crashes at random when using an SD Memory card that has been freshly formatted or has files. It says Watch Dog Error.

4. When going into sleep mode and it doesn't matter how much battery life the tablet won't power back on unless I hold Windows Button and Power Button over 10 seconds.

5. Now the lovely Error Driver Power State Failure.

The first time I updated the newest Tablet it showed a Display Error when updating Windows and I thought that was the cause. However after updating both tablets multiple times, that never reoccured. So I don't believe it was related and was just random, as is alot of things on this Tablet.

I'm at a loss of what I should do as it's to late to call Dell tonight and I'm afraid another replacement will be the exact same thing. I've had this tablet since the 4th of Jan but is it still possible for Dell to give me a refund because I currently have no faith left in this Tablet. I mean to have a replacement Tablet and the previous Tablet both setting here in this state frustrates me beyond belief!  I've been a customer for Dell for over a decade and I've purchased XPS products since 2006 and it seems I've had nothing but trouble but I kept on buying from Dell.

Either way the proof is in the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ixGwVZUdkEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTcpmUM0z8E&feature=youtu.be

44 Posts

August 11th, 2013 16:00

This wasn't my issue in response to Alex. Had nothing to do with Microsoft or wifi. Everything worked until I downloaded the firmware from Dell. I could have had just the Microsoft updates and everything would work fine, able to restart and reboot dozens of times. As soon as the firmware downloads itself, boom, wouldn't reboot or restart.

Apparently people are getting the power state failure by doing other things as well but I had three different tablets and all worked fine until the firmware was updated.

Also to add to this, I sent my last tablet back to dell about 3 months ago, told I was getting a full refund and guess what? I haven't received anything and it's been about 3 months.

I've contacted Dell, Terry and still haven't gotten my full refund. It's bad enough I got three tablets in a row that didn't work correctly but I still haven't gotten my hard earned money back!!! I'm expected to not be able to purchase another tablet somewhere else?

I need it for work and school and I CAN'T BELIEVE after all I've went through with Dell that they won't refund my money? Do they honestly not care about customers? Tell me to send my tablet back, offer me a refund and not give me a refund in about 3 months? Are you really serious Dell? I've spent around 6 grand on Dell computers the last 10 years and you're treating me this way? You take my 552 dollars, get the Tablet sent back to you and you decide to keep both?

Yeah, I'm angry!

9 Posts

August 12th, 2013 12:00

Forget the current RT's. Wait for RT 8.1 and second generation hardware. IMO. Not worth the pain. Yea perhaps the MS tablet is ok, but I will wait for second gen of the Pro non RT's. I would have kept the Dell RT if it worked right. Terry has dropped off the planet in responding to this. It appears we are ignored. But the issue is that MS authorized all updates. You can't download any updated direct from Dell. Dell might authorize the BIOS update but MS is supposed to do testing. It's a big mess that nobody seems to care about it since the majority of people don't bother updating or know how to. Windows 8 in general is an epic fail. You are better off getting a Nexus 7 (2013) or waiting for new Nexus 10. At least there are more apps on that platform. Otherwise a Pro version and you can install any Windows app. A real shame since I did like the hardware and keyboard combo. It was like a mini laptop with a built in keyboard. I have spent $'s on Dell too,  but they seem to be occupied with the idea of going private with Mr. Dell. They can't even fix the ordering web site for the Outlet store! Sad.

9 Posts

September 30th, 2013 14:00

Game over... it appears that Dell pulled the plug on the RT tablets. It's no longer sold on their site. For all of you that are having problems and can't return tablet, I hope the 8.1 update fixes the issues. I would recommend restoring unit to a factory fresh state and not installing updates. Then install 8.1. Avoid any Dell updates to BIOS or Firmware. Good luck.

4 Posts

October 1st, 2013 02:00

I decided to change my home router once I realised that the tablet worked fine on any other of the connections I used (around Europe and Canada) within last 3 months. And guess what, it works perfectly fine after that :).

1 Message

October 2nd, 2013 04:00

amazing xps mobile device i can't imagine

i have xps pc dell brand but i didn't know before that

about xps mobile i must would like to buy this

15 Posts

December 29th, 2013 09:00

dude I have same problem any solutions?

10 Posts

December 29th, 2013 10:00

You're not gonna wanna hear this, but my solution ended up being a different tablet with full windows 8 and an atom processor. Good luck man.

38 Posts

May 4th, 2014 21:00

Yes the same thing here ST:    Also reinslalled RT 3 times.

38 Posts

May 6th, 2014 09:00

Dell Should be called SS Dell.

1 Message

July 19th, 2014 14:00

My Dell 10 tablet is a $600 paper weight. It came in the mail with the frame bent and the port skewed. I sent it back. Dell repaired my broken tablet (this was my 1st issue, if you send me a broken product why would you not replace it?). The screen flickers. The operating system can't support a simple game like candy crush. I end up in loops. If I detach it from the keyboard it has no battery life(even when I direct charge the tablet). The screen would freeze, it wouldn't/couldn't interface with face book links. Many times it wouldn't turn on. I read up on how many seconds to hold the button & all the details. After two weeks I just gave up. It collected dust. My samsung galaxy III was able to do more and faster. Then my 10 year old took an intrest in the tablet. I charged it up,  turned it on ran the up dates & bam dark blue screen. Then no responce. Then after farm more than 10 seconds of holding the power button the power turned off. Now the only thing that's happening is the white light comes on when I plug the power cord in otherwise nothing. If it was just one issue that would ne fine. Yet now I've given up on dell. I asked for nothen but Dell gift cards for the holidays for three years to have the funds to make this purchase. I feel like a scmuck. Insult to injury no one is intrested in buying it from me!

No Events found!