Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2017 01:00

Overriding flashing amber light on Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140

I am running the 7140 along with a mobile keyboard dock. However, yesterday I found that the docked tablet wasn't booting any more while the tablet on its own was. Similarly, the docked tablet ran fine on AC power but switched off immediately when disconnected. 

I postulated the issue to be with the dock battery since it was stuck at 33% irrespective of whether I charged it with the tablet or directly through the dock. The only method to operate the docked tablet on battery power was to remove the battery from the dock and that is precisely what I have done.

However, now I am stuck with the flashing amber light for every second of the day. I know it is supposed to indicate power issues but in my case this is irrelevant. So, is there any way to override the flashing light? With 2 years down, I am not really interested in getting a replacement dock or battery since I might upgrade in the near future.

9 Posts

July 29th, 2017 10:00

where the keyboard and tablet meet, there are two rows of spring-loaded metal contacts (gold-coated pins). with the tablet's screen facing you,find the pin closest to the right side of tablet (your right). this pin handles the power connection between mobile keyboard & tablet. cover this single pin with a small piece of tape, and the keyboard should still function, but the tablet will be blocked from trying to access the extra battery ( and will only use its own battery + AC power)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 24th, 2017 10:00

The removal of the mobile travel keyboard built-in battery causes the flashing amber. I do not know of any means to disable that design functionality.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2017 10:00

Thanks Chris. I guess I got to live with it then. The saving grace is that it is at least not flashing at my face, so I can just about ignore it.

6 Posts

July 29th, 2017 10:00

Thanks, this is exactly the solution I was looking out for. It's always the tape to the rescue. :)

No Events found!