Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

March 1st, 2018 15:00

PN557W pen loses connectivity often

The PN557W  stylus is nice, I like how it magnetically attaches to my Dell 7285 but just disconnects way too often. This has been an issue with most of the Dell styluses I've used but normally it's weeks in between. The PN557W  disconnects at least 2 or 3 times and hour, if you unscrew the pen, release the battery then reinsert it reconnects. It'll disconnect in the middle of a session, so I don't think it's going to powersave mode or anything. Hope Dell can come up with a solution. The best pen I've used for Dell devices is the Huawei Matepen. Too bad the price is like triple, over $100 but works great and can be charged via usb. Any ideas for the Dell PN557W ?

1 Message

January 22nd, 2019 02:00

Updating the BT driver from Dell support resolved the issue for me. I downloaded and updated the below driver: Intel-9x60 826x 726x 3165-Bluetooth UWD Driver Version: 20.60.1 A22

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 02:00

Me has same Issue. I do not Use BT connection at all, because i dont need that feature. but I write a lot with that pen. When it was new, it worked fine. but after 3 month becomes more and more laggy, stops writing suddenly. It"s really not about the BT. 

Please solve.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2019 10:00

Hi Alan,

My top buttons for the PN557W won't work in presentation mode or regardless. I am trying to disconnect the pen from Bluetooth to try and pair it again but the system won't even let me do that. Can you please help with this?

Thanks.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2019 10:00

So in case anyone is interested I've found kind of a silly fix to this issue found here :

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-stylus-quot-sleeping-quot/td-p/5126616/page/2

Apparently the pen seems to go to sleep randomly at certain times after varying time periods. If you drop the pen from about chest height onto the ground, and make sure it lands on the butt of the pen it seems to fix it for some reason. It worked for me. Hopefully if it happens again this fix will always work.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2019 10:00

I'm having this exact same issue, and and super freaking annoying. Have you personally found a solution, or does anyone have any other ideas to just generally get a pen for my laptop? Did anyone buy a new one and find that a new one works? Are there other pens not made by dell that work with dell laptops?

March 20th, 2019 01:00

Same here, new 7390 2 in 1, fresh installed Windows and from the beginning this problem with the pen. Does anyone have a solution for that?

1 Message

March 22nd, 2019 21:00

sorry bro but I still have the same issue 

1 Message

March 31st, 2019 01:00

I even bought a new pen Satisfied for 4 days. After that the problem returned. Maybe Dell does not fix the problem Sells more more faulty pens.

April 7th, 2019 23:00

I got from the support a new pen, now everything works like it should be..

17 Posts

April 29th, 2019 11:00

I'm giving up with this piece of junk with its top button keep dropping connection. I updated to the latest bluetooth driver, but I still have to constantly remove it from the bluetooth device list and reconnect. Anybody has suggestions for alternative pens that works well on 5290 2-in-1?

17 Posts

April 29th, 2019 11:00

Dell should really recall this pen or at least come up with a pen that works. 

1 Message

May 23rd, 2019 05:00

I have the same problems with the Pen. I try to connect via bluetooth but the bluetooth connection cannot established and it askes me to try again. Barrel buttons are working but not top button. that means not presentation mode and no shortcut, which is very inconvinient. Edit: I just took out every batteries in the pen and put them back in. Then I started bluetooth device search and now it is workin again...

1 Message

June 19th, 2019 02:00

This worked for me. So it seems to be a connectivity issue of the design. .

1 Message

July 12th, 2019 06:00

Same problem here: active pen 557 on Dell 7285, Win 10 looses connection way too often. Batteries are all new!

I speak about the writing functionality, not the button at the back. Therefore, i guess it's NOT a bluetooth problem. Bluetooth is run by 2x 319 batteries, yet writing is powered by the AAAA battery. 

As all others report here very frequently, the writing functionality drops randomly. After removing AAAA battery or even dropping the pen (as others wrote) the functionality is back - but only randomly.

Therefore, DELL, this makes the tablet/writing mode completely useless as it does not work reliably!

1 Message

July 23rd, 2019 10:00

SOLUTION / FIX This drove me crazy too (it would cut out about 10 times a minute) and I'm so relieved that I figured out the problem! The coin-cell battery holder is loose (I didn't even know the pen had coin cells!). As soon as you tighten it, the cutting out stops! The user manual shows really well what and where the coin-cell battery holder is and how to tighten it. The link below is for the PN556W, but it should hopefully be the same form the PN557W. https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-actv-pen-5000-series_users-guide_en-us.pdf
No Events found!