Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

November 5th, 2013 23:00

Problems with Dell Venue 8 Pro and Miracast

Haven't been able to get Miracast working with Netgear PTV3000 or Actiontec Screenbeam. Firmware is up to date. Any ideas?

Thanks!

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 07:00

Hey Test Pirate. I'm able to display, but not duplicate, only extended, which is useless since I have no mouse to go with my tablet. I need clone mode. 

I'm using the Windows 8.1 compatibility with ScreenBeam using the charms, projector, add wireless display, etc. All firmware is up to date.

I can't get another device since that's the one I now have. It's pretty annoying having to buy another miracast like device bc this one is useless...

Ideas?

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 07:00

Take a look at Xavalon's posts starting on 15 Apr.  I did and had the device up and running. 

18 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 13:00

Who are you talking too Rigotek? Understand this is a community supported forum, nobody is getting paid for this :emotion-2:

After alot of hit/miss heuristics - I FINALLY got my VP8 working with the Actiontec Screenbeam pro.

Although "working" is subjective here.. It works in duplicate and extend modes, but you can't switch between them without completely resetting everything. Which sucks.. but hey - it works..

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 14:00

Haha... sorry :) I did get a little frustrated at Dell, but not to anyone else. SORRY EVERYONE! 

Please tell me what you did. I am super curious. So far the duplicate option is grayed out, so I can't even select that as an option.

I've changed resolutions, changed the firmware on the device, but nothing... all I do have is Windows 8.1, a screenbeam device and the hopes of being able to duplicate it some day!

18 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 17:00

Try installing the two software updates from here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-8-pro?driverId=3VR67&osCode=WB32A&fileId=3325558536&languageCode=en&categoryId=DD If still no joy, try the other drivers on the Dell site. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-venue-8-pro I'm not 100% sure, which update fixed it for me. But it was definitely something in those sites. Good luck!

184 Posts

May 5th, 2014 13:00

I know that different Miracast Devices are discussed here but let me throw it out here. Tested a few and ended up with "RocketFish Advanced Miracast Receiver" a long time ago. I only had to update the firmware when I got it and since then it works great. Purchased it for Android devices. Purchased V11P and V8P and both work without issues from the first connection try. :-)

1 Message

May 29th, 2014 12:00

HI Brian

I came to this thread to try to find a solution to the "Duplicate Screen" problem with the DV8P and the Netgear P2TV Adapter. Your link to the drivers worked perfectly.

And anyone reading this - make sure you select the second option in the driver list. The first is for a HD. Use the second one - this one: 

5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_3VR67_WN_603.9600.2067.26305_A03.EXE

Once I loaded this I went to Devices then Projector and connected. Then I went back to Devices and picked Projector then Duplicate and it accepted it immediately and I was in duplicate mode. The resolution on my monitor was a little lower, but it worked very well.

Brian - Thank you!!

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 11:00

I'm also having problems with a PTV3000 and miracast.  A5 firmware on DVP8 and latest on PTV3000.  Latest drivers from Dell for wifi and graphics.

I'm able to sometimes connect to the wireless display but it fails after a few minutes of use.

Problem is an unhandled exceptiion from intelwidiwinnextagent32.dll.  This is seen in the applications log from eventvwr.

Anybody encounter this?  Where is intelwidiwinnextagent32.dll from?  The graphics driver?

42 Posts

June 4th, 2014 11:00

I rolled back my wifi drivers becase the newest ones cause the VP8 to hang coming out of sleep often... do you get that issue?

My VP11 hooked up to my PTV3000 in both clone and extend (however in clone resolutions over 720p the mouse on the TV does not show on the right spot on screen) and the VP8 just fails to connect at all...

5 Posts

No, I don't see a hang on my VP8 coming out of sleep.  The only problem I had with wifi is it got permanently disabled one time.  I had to go and disable and re-enable the device in device manager.

Do you see the same error with the the DLL on the VP8.  My VP8 will try to connect to the PTV3000 and I see the status change on the PTV3000, but then the screen on the VP8 will flash and I hear a beep.  Sometimes it connects then fails after a few minutes.

If you check the application log in eventvwr.exe around the time of the failure you might see some messages.

5 Posts

I had the same problem. It worked after I uninstalled txe. Also, clone mode only works on certain monitors. Some TV can't dump down to the lower res of V8P.

184 Posts

June 4th, 2014 13:00

The Miracast dongle I use always connects to TV with 1080P. Regardless if I connect with DV11P or DV8P it works regardless if in extended or mirror mode. TV is set to take everything that comes in 1x1, no upscale, zoom, stretch or anything. Works great.

5 Posts

June 4th, 2014 15:00

I'll try removing TXE.  Any drawback to not having TXE?

Also, I recall reading elsewhere about overheating with miracast GPU offload.  Anybody know where to choose QuickSync CPU offload instead of GPU offload?

I also have a DV8 Android tablet and that works flawlessly with the PTV3000 and does not even get warm when projecting the wireless display.  Seems like if the older atom can do so well in Android the newer atom should be able to handle it too.  The DVP8 is overheating with Chromecast and does a thermal protection shutdown.  Not sure if miracast will be better since I can't get it working long enough yet.

42 Posts

June 4th, 2014 16:00

No, the problem I get is that with the VP8 the miracast detects and starts setting up but then there is some failure message on the TV (I forget exactly, but I think it's yellow and something like wifi connection incompatible or something) and then the miracast just goes back to it's normal standbye mode, the VP8 loses it's connection to the wireless display.

The same setup works flawlessly on my VP11 

16 Posts

June 4th, 2014 16:00

Been using my dell venue 8 pro for more then 7 weeks as my primary computer every working day all day long connected to a external screen using a miracast connection and don't have any heat problems. left my laptop at home for weeks now. 

I must say that in the beginning I used the extended screen mode, but found out that from time to time it gave some lag issues. Now I use the external screen only mode most of the day with occasionally the extended mode. 

I must say say that after I reinstalled windows some weeks ago using the boot.wim mode (search how to), my setup works even better. Hardly any lag between the tablet and the netgear ptv3000 miracast dongle and even my bluetooth mouse works much better (which occasional for minutes had lag issues, and now only rarely). 

I updated to the latest wifi driver available on the dell site, and this improved my wifi connections (with my work network, but also the dedicated wifi connection for miracast). Both have 5 out of 5 bars now. 

No Events found!