Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2014 15:00

Problems with Venue Pro 11 Docking Station USB Ports

The USB ports on my docking station don't work. After an hour on the phone with Dell in India they tried to convince me that these usb ports are not really usb ports. That they can't be used for such things as connecting an iPhone,a USB drive, an external hard drive, a printer, an MP3 player.  "What are they for then?"  No answer was forthcoming. This is obviously absurd: what is a docking station if not a station to which one docks? And the marketing materials explicitly say that you can do these things.

The dedicated full size USB port on the side of the device works fine, and I've been getting by by connecting an 8 port USB hub to that port. But it is less than optimal since it means that I have to connect and disconnect that line when I dock or undock.

I figure the problem is either A: the dock is defective; B: there is a problem with the tablet vis the dock or; C: there is some software issue I'm not aware of. I've ordered a replacement dock as a way of checking option A, but they are backordered by a month or so, so I won't be able to test that anytime soon.

Has anyone else had generalized USB problems when docked? Put the other way, have people succeeded in using the dock's USB ports normally with a typical range of devices?

I really love the device's form factor, and the range of accessories. My goal is to make this my only PC where I can have it docked with a big screen most of the time (and an external HD of course for more storage) but also be able to grab it to use as a tablet while watching TV, or connect either of the keyboards (I got both, plus the mostly useless stylus) when I travel.  This USB docking thing is more of an annoyance than a deal breaker, but I'd love any input people might have.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2014 00:00

i have the same problem. None of the USB ports on the docking station work and also the tablet does not charge when docked. i undocked the tablet and connected a USB device to one of the ports and the device was not receiving power. I am confused if there a problem in the power supply of the docking station or the there is a problem in the ports of the dock connector.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2014 10:00

I'm using a Kensington USB 3.0 docking station model name: sd3500v together with a Dell Venue 11 Pro Atom tablet. The Kensington docking station works flawlessly. My Venue 11 Pro Atom tablet Connects to the docking station via the USB port on the tablet. On the docking station I have connected an Ethernet cable and a 1680x1050 monitor via regular HDMI. I now run the tablet and the external monitor in extended desktop mode with the tablet having a 1920x1080 resolution and the monitor 1680x1050. Before I started to use the docking station I downloaded the latest drivers from the Kensington homepage. It was just a simple installation file that I double-clicked to install and afterwards all I had to do was Connect the tablet to the dock via USB and everything has worked great ever since (one month now and counting). Link to the Kensington dock: http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4723/K33972US/usb-3-0-docking-station-with-dual-dvi-hdmi-vga-video-(sd3500v)

10 Posts

August 23rd, 2014 19:00

I just received my docking station for my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130.  None of the USB ports on the docking station work, and neither does the audio port.  Also, the ethernet port does not connect to anything.  I have it plugged into my router, which does not see the dock.   Dell in India told me I have to charge the docking station for at least 6 hours, so they would not even trouble shoot the problem last night.   The dock is marketed as a desktop replacement,  Does anyone know if drivers need to be loaded to get this to work?

2 Posts

August 24th, 2014 01:00

The docking station does not have an inbuilt battery so the suggestion from dell to charge the dock for 6 hours seems strange. I have the same issues like you and my tablet does not even charge when docked however the power light on the dock is glowing. I called the service centers here in Mumbai and none of them have support for this product which is not launched in India. Does your tablet atleast charge when placed in the dock.

828 Posts

September 9th, 2014 14:00

I just received my docking station for my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130.  None of the USB ports on the docking station work, and neither does the audio port.  Also, the ethernet port does not connect to anything.  I have it plugged into my router, which does not see the dock.   Dell in India told me I have to charge the docking station for at least 6 hours, so they would not even trouble shoot the problem last night.   The dock is marketed as a desktop replacement,  Does anyone know if drivers need to be loaded to get this to work?

Does the docking station LED light up?    If not, you don't have good power to the dock.  If you do have power (LED on), does the tablet recognize the dock at all?

10 Posts

September 11th, 2014 08:00

Tablet does charge on the dock and the LED light is on, bu;t no usb ports, the usb/ethernet and the audio port do not work.  Dell is involved now.

1 Message

September 11th, 2014 19:00

After 3 months of using the dock with my Venue Pro 11 with no such issues, mine developed these very symptoms yesterday.  Dock and LED light is on and tablet is charging.  The HDMI port also works, but no USB ports.  I have not tried audio port or ethernet. 

I don't think it is a coincidence that this started IMMEDIATELY after I downloaded and installed a slew of Windows and MS Office updates, but since Windows 8.1 apparently does not allow one to uninstall  updates (???) I can't do any further diagnosis. 

I'm happy to know Dell is involved because with only one working USB on the tablet itself, this problem makes my tablet pretty much worthless as a desktop replacement, which is how I have been using it part of the time. With the exception of a few other bugs, I've otherwise loved it.

10 Posts

September 18th, 2014 16:00

My Dell docking station never worked with my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130.  Dell had me send the Venue 11 and the docking station back to Dell after my Venue came back from Dell the second time.  The docking keyboard and the docking station would not work.  I am rather fed up with the hardware problems that are happening.  No USB ports, the usb to ethernet port and the audio ports on the docking station would not work.  Only thing that would work was the charging station.  

1 Message

October 16th, 2014 02:00

Has there been any progress on this? I'm having the same problem that the video outputs from the dock work, but USB ports don't.

I've switched out for a different dock and that doesn't work either, and it did work when I originally got the tablet, so I suspect this is firmware or driver issue.

7 Posts

October 25th, 2014 14:00

USB ports not working on my dock.

USB ports on my dock:   do not work

• It is a A01 version dock.
  • USB port on tablet working fine.
  • HDMI video working fine through the dock.
  • BIOS and all drivers from dell are up to date.

Any ideas?  (other reset Windows)

And device manager shows an error that can be related.:

Standard USB Host controller

Port_#0001.Hub#0002

"Unknown USB Device' (device descriptor request failed)"

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19604537

10 Posts

October 26th, 2014 00:00

I had the same problem with my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 and docking station.  I contacted Dell several times and reported what you reported.  Dell had me send in the Venue and the docking station to the Dell service center because this is a known problem.  Everything is working fine since I received the Venu;e and the Dock back from repair.  Dell told me that this was a known problem, but did not elaborate on what they intend to do about it.  I would contact Dell service, even though getting ahold of their service in  India can be challenging.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2014 13:00

Installation of a Kensington USB dock driver (even though it was the dell venue dock being used) fixed my problem!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19604537/20691095#20691095

4 Posts

June 17th, 2015 02:00

I stumbled onto this thread by chance looking for an understanding why USB ports on my Venue dock were flakey, as they are picky which type of peripheral they will work with.

My ports work, for small things like a wireless receiver or a thumb drive. as soon as you connect anything that may need a bit more grunt, (i.e. USB Sata Drive ) it doesn't recognise the drive and complete a handshake. The drive powers but cannot be seen. 

I connected one of these ports to my Monitor. Dell U2212HM  that has four USB ports built in and my Drives are picked up.  sort of *** a bit because the monitor only supports USB 2.0 not 3.0 like the dock should. 

I've tried Dock firmware updates and USB Drive updates and no joy. However this got me out of a bind (sort of)

3 Posts

July 4th, 2015 19:00

I have a related issue.  I would like to know what can be connected to the K10A docking station.  Can I expand the ability to add monitors and other devices?  Thank you 

828 Posts

July 6th, 2015 12:00

Have you guys updated the USB hub firmware already?

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;fileId=3442650563&osCode=WB64A&productCode=dell-venue-11i-pro&languageCode=EN&categoryId=FW

No Events found!