Elmwoodie
1 Copper

RE: Problems with Venue Pro 11 Docking Station USB Ports

USB ports not working on my dock.

USB ports on my dock:   do not work

• It is a A01 version dock.
  • USB port on tablet working fine.
  • HDMI video working fine through the dock.
  • BIOS and all drivers from dell are up to date.

Any ideas?  (other reset Windows)

And device manager shows an error that can be related.:

Standard USB Host controller

Port_#0001.Hub#0002

"Unknown USB Device' (device descriptor request failed)"

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19604537

0 Kudos
ltbovat
1 Copper

I had the same problem with my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 and docking station.  I contacted Dell several times and reported what you reported.  Dell had me send in the Venue and the docking station to the Dell service center because this is a known problem.  Everything is working fine since I received the Venu;e and the Dock back from repair.  Dell told me that this was a known problem, but did not elaborate on what they intend to do about it.  I would contact Dell service, even though getting ahold of their service in  India can be challenging.

0 Kudos
Elmwoodie
1 Copper

Installation of a Kensington USB dock driver (even though it was the dell venue dock being used) fixed my problem!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19604537/20691095#20691095

0 Kudos
Arlo_007
1 Copper

I stumbled onto this thread by chance looking for an understanding why USB ports on my Venue dock were flakey, as they are picky which type of peripheral they will work with.

My ports work, for small things like a wireless receiver or a thumb drive. as soon as you connect anything that may need a bit more grunt, (i.e. USB Sata Drive ) it doesn't recognise the drive and complete a handshake. The drive powers but cannot be seen. 

I connected one of these ports to my Monitor. Dell U2212HM  that has four USB ports built in and my Drives are picked up.  sort of *** a bit because the monitor only supports USB 2.0 not 3.0 like the dock should. 

I've tried Dock firmware updates and USB Drive updates and no joy. However this got me out of a bind (sort of)

0 Kudos
Froggy19
1 Copper

I have a related issue.  I would like to know what can be connected to the K10A docking station.  Can I expand the ability to add monitors and other devices?  Thank you 

0 Kudos

Have you guys updated the USB hub firmware already?

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;fileId=3442650563&osCode=WB64A&productCode=dell-venue-11i-pro&languageCode=EN&categoryId=FW

0 Kudos
Arlo_007
1 Copper

Hi Brian,

First thing I tried was a firmware update. 

My workaround is fine as I can connect my monitors to the ports and run power from there, but like I said. My monitors only support USB 2.0 not 3.0

0 Kudos
lord-flint
1 Copper

My dock - black Reg Model K10A / Reg Type K10A001 which I understand is an A00 model - also suddenly stopped working after just over a year (now out of warranty).

The only functions which do work are charging and audio: nothing else - no ethernet/no usb/no external monitor whereas they all did previously.

The dock led lights up when power is connected.

Venue 11 Pro 7130 fully up to date - A16 BIOS

How does one determine the firmware version of the dock?

Do I need to buy a new dock or is there any way to repair this one?

0 Kudos
lord-flint
1 Copper

Just bought another one - refurbished for £25 from siliconconnect.com (uk ebay) - same model/type and everything works (maybe it is an A01 version?). Still don't know how to determine the firmware version though.......... 

0 Kudos
Elmwoodie
1 Copper

Its been awhile, but I am pretty sure it was not the dock firmware discussed, but the tablet firmware version.

0 Kudos