Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2014 16:00

Received new update on Venue 8 today, what's it do?

I'm now on software version "Venue 8 3830_JB4.3_V1.25_140226-NoModem"

Kernel version "3.4.43 XYX@Build 167 #1 Wed Feb 26 12:07:17 CST 2014"

Any clue what the upgrade improves, fixes, etc?

March 26th, 2014 18:00

I would like to know as well. Hopefully it fixes the terrible battery drain I've been having so standby lasts longer than 1 day.

1 Message

March 26th, 2014 19:00

I just got this update also,and would like to know what does it fix

14 Posts

March 26th, 2014 21:00

I don't remember the hotspot feature under settings before. Pretty useless either way. 

14 Posts

March 26th, 2014 21:00

Got the same update myself. I was hoping it was Kit Kat but no luck. Haven't noticed anything different so far.

39 Posts

March 27th, 2014 16:00

I haven't installed the update yet because I'd really like to know what's in it first.

The hotspot option is there even before this update. Since my Venue 8 is wifi only though it's good only for creating a localized wifi network, but that actually works at times if I just a Minecraft Personal Edition network for my kids and their friends to play each other in the van to/from school, or for an impromptu wifi network where I need to conveniently move files between devices , etc. I agree it's limited, but I've definitely found some uses for it anyway.

The main issue I have with my V8 is::

When I have a headset plugged in I frequently get warned by the OS at around only 35% volume that it might be too loud. I'm then given an option to 'ok' or 'cancel' but no matter what I choose I cannot turn the volume up. If it warned me at something more reasonable like 80% or so I'd understand but I'm not even at half volume when it prompts me which is way overprotective, but if the override was at least reliable this would be minor. This appears to be a bug though because sometimes, like after a fresh restart of the device, I can acknowledge the warning and continue increasing the volume afterward. Still, I am baffled at why the warning level is so low to begin.

10 Posts

March 28th, 2014 05:00

I had this issue and found a solution.  

There is an app running called Acoustic Warning. I went into application settings and stopped the app.  This made a big difference. Still not the loudest,  but at least I can hear it.  

4 Posts

March 29th, 2014 11:00

I chose to Disable that app and it now leaves me alone, always, even after restarting device.

Disable is a button next to force stop.

39 Posts

March 30th, 2014 16:00

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. Seems to be working like a charm and I'm no longer nagged about the volume, woohoo.

So, anybody find out yet what's in this latest update? Still haven't installed it.

March 30th, 2014 16:00

Seems kinda silly that a Dell representative hasn't chimed in letting us know. Either way, at least they're updating it!

11 Posts

March 31st, 2014 23:00

Look at the kitkat 4.4 thread to find out about this update.

35 Posts

April 1st, 2014 05:00

Look at the kitkat 4.4 thread to find out about this update.

For those of you following at home, speculation is that this update is a precursor to the android 4.4 release. 

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4585/t/19533291.aspx

No Events found!