Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2011 03:00

Streak 5 : The Ultimate Tablet-Phone

I have been reading posts on this forum and most are nothing but complaints.  My Streak, from froyo 1.6 to 2.2 it runs perfect. No major problem so far that will make me want to give it up. Any problem i have encounter i had similar experience with my other devices: htc tytn ii, iphone, htc hd2. etc.  A lot of consumers are attempting to compare it with other phones and tablets, to me this device does not have a competitor yet in the market  because it is a tablet-phone. Just like everyone else I will complaint about Dell's poor marketing: for not being able to explain to consumers what the devices really is. Many customers are confused when they get it those that are buying it because they think they are getting a big phone get confused on all the other functions and those that think they are getting a mini tablet get confused with all the phone functions. 

That said,  The dell streak is a great device when you spend time with it.  Phone, contact management, web surf and video the device device do it right. I am sure dell will soon find out that they have design a great device but were confused on how to market it and will  keep improving on this device. Give the device the name it deserve the next time around: It is a TABLET-PHONE and not a tablet. looking for 2012 with streak 5 dual core OS. hopefully a windows version too So i can move back to my good old windows.

Those that think it is too big to hold against the ear get U a good bluetooth. Blueant Q1 or  Q2 works perfect with this device voice controls. surf the web,  text and do other things while you talk on the phone. Battery life depends on how your device, running so many applications at the same time will drain battery in no time. 

My Device: dell streak 5: unlock.  2.2. 

Life should be simple:  no running around with 2, 3, 4 .... devices

My code: No great thing comes without it's pro and cons.

12 Posts

January 20th, 2011 17:00

I think you may have got a freak piece that works perfect! Majority of the Steaks are riddled with software issues!

(1) On video call which camera does your Streak trigger?

(2) When you close an application eg; GPS does your 3G Data connection terminate?

(3) Does your battery last more than 8 hours with the bare minimum applications?

14 Posts

January 20th, 2011 18:00

I have not done a video call with the streak because i do not have a need for it. I have tested both front and rear camera and they work.  Next you may ask if i have watch video all day with it. the answer in nope.

Battery for sure I think mine last more than 6 hours : For 2 days in a week my GPS is on all day and i drive over 80 miles. I use the phone and go on internet at times.

Remember the battery that came with this device is not strong either considering the potential of the device and for what it is intended to do. I expect to see a decrease after a while.

In my opinion, for such a well build device with such dual fuctions i think Dell should have launch it first with a more stable OS like windows or should have tested it more longer with android before rushing it into the market.

So far so good 

12 Posts

January 20th, 2011 19:00

Please try out the features as they are meant to be used prior to making divine comments!:emotion-1:

9 Posts

January 21st, 2011 01:00

I have a bunch of Android devices, they all have common issues. The only thing that I see as a bug on the Dell Streak is the video call launching the rear facing camera instead of the front, but as I compare the Streak with my other Android devices, it's the most stable in many ways. My Dell Streak is full of apps and it's still way more effective then my other Android devices. The Streak actually runs a bunch of apps at the time, when my Galaxy S for example force closes...

14 Posts

January 21st, 2011 03:00

I do not have to try out all the features on a device to tell if it is good or not. Front facing camera was not of interest to me when i purchased the device. All the other features that attracted me to the device works well and works better than in any other device i have use.  By the way just because a few of the features do not work the device should not be condemned. As the upgrades to the OS keeps coming in things will get better for those that are experiencing problems with some of the features.

Dell streak 5  is a great device just be patient take your time to learn the features and you will enjoy it.

14 Posts

January 21st, 2011 03:00

MY Streak also is very stable and i think it is a great device which is going to last. I too have tons of apps and have not had any problem. I am a newbie to android this is my second android device and the one i have use the most. 

My response to an unstable OS is to the many complaints. mark me,  I do not say the android OS is not good. Base on the many complaints i read, it seem some manufacturers are just throwing it into their products and rushing them out into the market and worring about the bugs later. For the age of the OS  it is queit stable there is no doubt in it.     

7 Posts

January 21st, 2011 07:00

I absolutely agree. With 2.2, Streak is stable, fast, awesome device, I use huge amount of apps all the time and it runs great . I have never had an intention to do video calls so dont know about the front facing camera issue.

The only bug I noticed is logging into social networking apps using Facebook Connect (which is FB bug - check this one: http://bugs.developers.facebook.net/show_bug.cgi?id=14144 ) and also logging into Get Glue app.

I can understand that frustrated people speak more about their problems, so thanks to anyone satisfied who did not stay silent and also said that Dell Streak is good device, 

27 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 07:00

I bought my Streak about two and a half months back. It worked fine, although some issues which are common remain. But as far as the overall features and performance are concerned, I agree that it is one of the best devices available and is unique in its class. The picture quality is quite good, the calls and networking are great. My Streak developed a problem and it was immediately replaced by the Dell. (The piece initially given had some problem so I was given another new piece). So much for all those telling Dell has poor record of response in case of problem. Although I feel there is still some scope for improvement it is mostly related to software. Now you find the silicon cover in India too, although I did not try to find dock as I do not need it, it may also be available. If you go through my thread, you will find some solutions to common issues which I could sort out.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 21:00

i have to agree ive had my streak since early december and it's been spot on.The only issue i've had with it is i dropped it and it smashed,thankfully  i had it insured with my phone company(Optus) and it was replaced with no problems mind you when i got the replacement i bought an otterbox for it :).

4 Posts

March 21st, 2011 05:00

I have been using UNLOCKED Dell Streak 5 ( Red Color) since December 2010 here in India. It has been 3 months or more and I agree with all positive comments about Dell Streak.

Ever since I upgraded to android 2.2 in december here in India I have been extremely happy with this device.

Wifi -9/10

Display & Resolution - 9/10

Sound - 9/10

Call quality - 9/10

Application performance -9/10

Browser experience -9/10

Swype -10/10 -> This was something new I have experienced and I am absolutely loving it. Texting became lot of fun now.

Video & Camera - 6/10 -> Photos are fine but the videos shot with Dell Streak are not GREAT they are just OK that is why I gave 6/10 it is OK but not great.

Watching music videos or any videos on Dell streak is again very good experience. I was able to watch the videos full screen by using a software called " handbrake" and also "Xilisoft Video converter Ultimate".

And apps like Tango video calls, Seismic, Twitter, Tweetdeck, Tweetcastor, plume, fring, nimbuzz, meebo, skype and many other applications work great. I didnt find any problems.

And after installing "spare parts" from android market I was able to get 3D graphics like Compiz fusion effects in linux. So that makes my Dell Streak eye candy too.

Multitasking is very smooth

Battery is ok. Charging was very quick when I tried with charger and USB charging was comparitively slower.

Bluetooth works great

ABSOLUTELY NO HARDWARE PROBLEMS..

One issue is not able to use front facing camera in skype and I think this is more to do with android then Dell streak because I couldnt find an option to change from rear to front side camera.

3G option works fine too I didnt face any problems here. Power control Widget was very helpful in turning off wifi, GPS, 3G, sync options. voice input, voice actions works just fine.

I am hoping Dell would release the official android 2.3 or Honey comb for Dell Streak 5. That would be awesome.

Overall 9/10

It is expensive here in india but still I love it.

It is really unfortunate that some people are facing problems with Dell Streak and I hope their problems get solved.

My Dell Streak works great and I can say with confidence that it is at least 1000 times better than iphone with which I had n number of never ending problems. Finally I got device which out performs in almost every way.

In future

I am really excited about Dell Streak 10 and cant wait to get one. With Tegra 2 dual core processor, 1 GB RAM , Honey comb android OS , I think it is going to be awesome.

And I wished Dell Streak 5 had dual core processor . :(

Cheers!

Sam

6 Posts

March 21st, 2011 08:00

For the front facing camera issue in skype, try this... ( i had a similar issue using the Fring app.)

Go into the camera app and switch your camera to the front facing camera then exit the camera app and then start the skype app and try again.

Let me know if that worked! It did for me.

Have a great day!

Ralph

4 Posts

April 7th, 2011 14:00

Hi Sam,

I have the same great experience with Dell Streak 5.

I use Tango - no problem with camera for video phone.

I download youtube videos op to 720p using tubemate - I never convert:

The .flv can be played by FLV player, which has an unfortunate idiosyncracy, however - it returns to #1 of my several 100 long list of videos after playing any video in the list!

I have excellet experience w. qqplay for any other videos.

The quality of the image & sound is fantastic - yhe only issue is that sound & image are often out-of-sync.

I just got android booster to turn off apps - however I have to learn some more about android: it is really silly that all apps prefer to stay in the limited memory -until the phone eventually dies.

Transferring apps to the sd card is also a must.

Which channel are you using for Wifi?

I am using channel #5 - it is not very good - the reach is very poor - only a 3rd as good as a laptop.

I do not have interference from other Wifi networks.

Froyo 2.2 updated from O2 in U.K.

Cheers Hans

4 Posts

April 8th, 2011 04:00

Hi Hans,

Yes Tango works with rear camera and still haven't been able to front camera.

Even I am having that tubemate and I have another app called free youtube downloader

I do video conversion from time to time to make use of whole 5inch screen. For that purpose I use Xilisoft Video converter .. you can get the full version very easily. If you type in google "Xilisoft Video Converter" + mediafire or "Xilisoft Video Converter" + filestube you will get the full version. this software is awesome and will get you

and to transfer your downloaded .flv to your computer use "websharing lite" or "websharing

And to move the apps from "phone memory" to "SD card memory" you need "App2SD" app .. that will help you move with ease though there are other apps which does the same thing

I use Channel 1 most of the times but right now I am using channel 11. My router is "teracom router" It has voip capabilities also. Even Belkin N +300 router is also a good one

Too many wifi apps will mess up the wifi so please make sure to install only the ones which you need most.

"Lookout mobile security" is a must, it is working very well.

"Advanced Task Manager" is good too

"Go Launcher Ex" for launcher. It is very good

Cheers!

Sam

June 3rd, 2011 09:00

How long have you been working for Dell?

78 Posts

September 8th, 2011 08:00

Despite Michel Dell dont luv me no more, I STILL love my Dell Streak.  Michael, please have a pleasant surprise for your fellow U.S. Streak owners and future owners....

No Events found!