stephenmyall
1 Copper

Re: Streak Froyo OTA Update for O2 Customers

Hi Amy!

I backed up, successfully, to my SD card, updated OTA, then restored "successfully", last night.

Unfortunately, the restore only restored the 11 contacts that I had entered, manually, on my Streak, and not the other 134 that I had synced across using the no longer supported Dell™ PC Sync.

No matter, I thought, I just need to sync my Streak with Outlook Contacts on my PC.  However, to my chagrin, Dell™ Mobility Sync for the Dell Streak only seems to sync media files.

What is the solution/workaround for this?  What you published promised that my contacts would be backed up and restored.  Not just 11/145ths of them.  I will be very unhappy if I have to re-enter 136 contacts, manually.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Highlighted

this all (points at forum posts relating to 2.2 OTA update) looks almost as wonderful* on dell's part as the 2.1 update a few months ago.

you may recall my exercised posts a few months ago, & my return to 1.6.

the instructions are excellent*- I must've been round the "backup/restore" loop a dozen times before pinching the screen down small enough to find the "proceed to update" link. if you're designing & deploying a software update to a mobile device, try the deployment out on an actual device & have a think about the GUI design.

basic stuff, this.

the backup/restore s/w comes with caveats which are skilfully hidden behind the info button.... you will lose any photos you took on the phone, along with some other stuff... music you've downloaded, possibly even paid for.

the old dell pc sync software won't work. I installed the nero- doesn't recognise my 1.6 streak. some posters here have had issues* getting their contacts into & back out of outlook. this is looking very good*.

then there are things like the inverted display, the non-wifi data connectivity.... I see from other posts, but not from dell, that these things may be fixable with a bit of patience & a factory reset. where does it say that in your instructions, amy?

& of course, my own personal favourite, as older readers will know- we get flash playback, which apple have almost certainly done for anyway, but we will miss the photo editor. also the "rooms", which I personally liked to keep populated with themed shortcuts- business, pleasure, contacts, music apps, photo apps.... & we have instead this enormous strip of one picture.

why aren't these changes described somewhere? why are dell playing "catch-up" with this update instead of using the 2.2 o/s to introduce something wow-some instead of just taking things away?

I'm not even going to try 2.2 on my streak. in fact, I may write to O2 & ask them to change it for something else. I like the big screen, but frankly the support & updates from dell are just awesome*.

duncan.

(*please replace these words with the genuine articles when you read this. I'm trying to discern the workings of the dell filtration on this forum)

0 Kudos
kingtrumpsace
1 Copper

Hey everyone!

I have a rooted Dell Streak (bought from Rogers) which is unlocked to Telus.  It had 2.1 Eclair on it today, and when I rooted it, I guess it changed the baseband to O2's firmware (as the startup screen shows the O2 water logo).

Anyways, I tried the download link from a couple days ago, and I got the FOTA Name Mismatch error.  I gave up and continued to use the 2.1 update, as it was sufficient, but really wanted to try Froyo.

So, I tried the link Amy posted in the beginning of the post.  It worked!  Froyo is now on my rooted, Rogers, unlocked to Telus, Dell Streak!! It's running 2.2 and it is miles ahead of any of the previous updates that the Streak used.  It's fantastic!!

0 Kudos
marty7192
1 Nickel

Hi Amy

Followed the instructions and installed the sync program by Nero. Now what! no instructions about how to transfer from computer to phone, also i wanted to include my contacts list from outlook 2010, managed to add them into  the list but nothing happens.

0 Kudos
marty7192
1 Nickel

Hi Amy

Forgot to mention that there appears to be a problem with streak reading my sd. When I put it into my sd reader it shows alot more apps than appear on the phone, things like viewranger and miner game plus about 5 other things on there. should I reformat my sd card while in the phone ? or delete them another way and get download again?

martin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Caemdare
1 Copper

I think it only fair that I update my status from my previous post...

Since the issue with Airplane mode, and reading around a little, I decided to try fixing the problem by backing everything up and doing a factory reset.  This cleared the problem imediatly, and the phone hopped merrily onto the 02 Phone network without any issues.

Sadly, it was only onto the phone network; the data network, it was unwilling to co-operate with.  However, after talking to 02 support, (and verifying that it was not anything to do with my account, or my sim), I took it into an 02 shop to check out...

... where it was revealed that the phone had lost it's APN settings.  The guy behind the counter raised an eyebrow, but was able to input them manually.  Voila, all happy now.  He even said, if it happens again, the actual APN details are easily findable on the web, although I admittedly have not gone looking for them yet.

Essentially, it looks like the 'upgrade' procedure, much like when trying to do the same with windows 7, has 'issues' over, say, a fresh install, (reset to factory settings), but as long as you back things up before hand, and understand that the odds are you will need to do a factory reset after the 2.2 update, you will be fine.

That said... I am not really impressed with the new Dell Mobile Sync, provided by Nero.  It is...flakey at best.  It took a lot of prompting to get it to see my device, then to get it to  import items off of the device onto my computer's hard drive.   It refuses to actually 'sync', as the button does nothing, nor can I see a way to tell it _what_ to sync.  If I try to copy something manually, it works for a single item, multiple items it just crashes the desktop application.  We won't even talk about the fact the app on the phone is 'irritating' and manages to spawn multiple copies of itself for me... or that the 'connect over wifi' feature does not work, although I have yet to lay my hands on some documentation on what may be needed to set that up.

In summary...  aside from the sync software, the update hasn't gone too badly.  I've had worse on my iPhone.  I miss some of the screen real-estate that was lost switching from the 'rooms' to the stage, although I do plan to, now it IS working, tweak the thing merrily.

0 Kudos
selenna
1 Copper

Hi Amy

Got the automatic update on my Dell Streak and did everything recommended to download, did the necessary backup, used my wifi connection and  Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 let it load, after install I again carried out the recommended “Restore” procedures and now find the new 2.2 ......sucks

I lost all my contacts, email accounts and now find I can’t get a connection, the “New” phone layout is terrible and doesn’t have the editing functions of the 1.6, the page layout is a waste of space and limited in comparison. On the plus side I do like the keyboard better than the old version as it is more forgiving to fat finger syndrome.

At present I would love to revert back to my old settings but will have to persevere with this new system.

Les

0 Kudos
7th007
1 Copper

Hi Amy,

Feedback on the 2.2 (Froyo) update so far:

Biggest problem: Backup & Restore has returned only a tiny fraction of my contacts. This is incredibly frustrating - how do I get them all back...?

I'm not particularly enamoured with the revised screen layout, with a big sun on my "HOME" page having been "Getting location" for days, and this is the start of a long list of minor gripes.

Having to go through this problematic upheaval with the product for the second time in only a few months, I am sorry to report that I am fundamentally inimpressed.

ChrisJ_SLH
1 Copper

Regarding your "stuck in Airplane Mode" problem. Have you checked your APN settings?

Under Settings -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names, make sure 02 Pay Monthly MMS is present and selected and that all the fields are correct.

Caemdare
1 Copper

When it was stuck in airplane mode, the option to check the APN settings was greyed out, so I could not confirm if they were present or not.

0 Kudos