shortlands
1 Copper

Re: Streak Froyo OTA Update for O2 Customers

Got my Streak a few weeks ago for use as a business tool with added fun features as a bonus. Was getting the hang of it, organising contacts/calanders etc along ith the fun apps...then got the prompt to update it from 2.1 to 2.2.

Now have a fun apps toy that, despite backing up as instructed, has NO contacts or calander entries previously synched from my PC outlook, and the PCsuite program has been dropped for 2.2 with apparantly no replacement in the downgraded alternative software? Guess I should have checked out the spec first, but you dont expect upgrades to LOSE such a basic element of functionality in this day and age.

How can you upgrade a phone like the streak to give it LESS ability to be used as a serious mobile business tool than the cheapest old nokia I have that has managed for years to syncronize contacts/calander/tasks/notes etc with a PC?  

Guess the kids are getting an expensive games console while I dust off my old XDA for continued service while I check out something with windows mobile.

azstreak
1 Copper

There are two things that I cans share with you that you may find useful.

1) As a general point, as a heavy Steak user, I am constantly left with the feeling that this product was not engineered and developed with any passion or pride. I say that because the more you use it, the more you find functional potholes.Gaps in capability that could be easily filled but instead leave you just on the verge of being satisfied. Am convinced that the designers don't use the Streak as their own primary device, because if they did, it would never have shipped. The Streak is a greatest almost device I have come across and totally setup to be toxic to building any kind of brand loyalty. Unless Dell can get to grips with the culture required for a mobile device, that is not the same as the PC, they will in time disappear from this space. Dell, get you sh!t together. Nobody is too big to fail.

2) Install Phone Explorer from http://www.fjsoft.at/en/  Its freeware but you should donate something as its fracking awesome. It will sync with outlook as well as allow you to call/accept calls and send/receive SMS from your PC when connected.It also creates backup of your phone books, calenders and tasks. It's a 5/5 recommendation.

0 Kudos
blue08
1 Copper

hey , 

i just got my second streak , coz my first had a system error after just 48 hrs of new update to Froyo, 

the best buy and tell customer service, decided to give me a new device since they couldn't figure out what the problem was ,

but now THE BEST BUY , AGENT SAYS TO ME NOT TO UPDATE IT ,BECOUSE  IT MIGHT COUSE THE SAME PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!! 

0 Kudos
Martalle
1 Copper

I have a question. I have the O2 update, however everything in my Music folder has gone. Ive had to download ES File Explorer just so that I can access the audio on my SD card again. Ive tried installing SDrescan but nothing yet. This device is becoming a real pain....back to my olf failful Blackberry in the meantime I think.

0 Kudos
yodakrawler
1 Copper

i have just got this twice on my my system has failled twice now and wipe the whole phone cleaned. erased everthing. so what do you do to stop this from happening. is the dell 2.2 better than the att 2.2. or should i ask will it runn with out crashing in a week?

0 Kudos